Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to get rid of "Do you want to allow..."?


25 Jun 2009   #1

Windows 7 RC
 
 
How to get rid of "Do you want to allow..."?

Sorry if this problem has been asked to death, I just couldn't find any posts with a solution.

When I open certain programs, I get a pop-up window asking "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?". How can I disable that on a per program basis?

I don't want to set the overall system "User Account Control Settings" to "Never Notify".

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jun 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

There should be a little check box to always allow this type of program when that message comes up and if you tick it then you wont get it any more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2009   #3

Windows 7 RC
 
 

Hi Mr. Grim,

there's no checkbox. Only Yes and No buttons and a link that says "Change when these notifications appear", which links to "User Account Control Settings". These settings seems to be system wide though. I want to change the setting per program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Jun 2009   #4

 
 

Do you mean these prompts?

Name:  thisbox.JPG
Views: 835
Size:  54.5 KB

Short answer= Without disabling UAC, You can't

It's the one thing that irks me about Seven.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2009   #5

Windows 7 RC
 
 

Yes smarteyeball, that's the one. Sorry to hear that I can't disable it. It seems incredibly stupid if you can't deem an already installed program as safe and bypass this question?

Thanks, Don
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2009   #6

 
 

It's part of the 'revamped' UAC which provides better security. There's no 'whitelist' option to avoid malware/viruses from circumventing the UAC. ie adding themselves to an allowed program list and then running unhindered.

In reality though, it's a massive pita.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

If you really want to get rid of it, go into Control panel, and user Accounts. Select your account, and click on Turn Off UAC Prompts. Then restart.
THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED, and most of us agree it is best to leave it on.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2009   #8

Win 7 RC 64bit b7229
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
If you really want to get rid of it, go into Control panel, and user Accounts. Select your account, and click on Turn Off UAC Prompts. Then restart.
THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED, and most of us agree it is best to leave it on.

~Lordbob
Why not? I never used UAC since XP, just use a good antimalware suite in manual mode (that promts you for each action) and its the same as UAC even better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by John Henry View Post
Why not? I never used UAC since XP, just use a good antimalware suite in manual mode (that promts you for each action) and its the same as UAC even better.
Its really up to you. I have not had a problem with it, though I have gotten many less viruses since XP, but that could be because I have grown up since then..........

Anyways, M$ doesn't recommend turning it off, but its still your choice. It annoys me as well, but since it happens only a few times a day, I am ok with it for the peace of mind.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2009   #10

Win 7 RC 64bit b7229
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Its really up to you. I have not had a problem with it, though I have gotten many less viruses since XP, but that could be because I have grown up since then..........

Anyways, M$ doesn't recommend turning it off, but its still your choice. It annoys me as well, but since it happens only a few times a day, I am ok with it for the peace of mind.

~Lordbob
I had programs like hwmonitor, coretemp and cpuz running each day more than once and i always got uac boring me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to get rid of "Do you want to allow..."?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33