Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How many computers will I be able to install W7 on?

26 Jun 2009   #11
screwballl

Win7, XP, Vista x64, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rising View Post
I have a desktop and a laptop and I'd like to have it on both without having to buy 2 copies. Is it possible to do while being able to receive Windows updates? Also, will it be possible to do a clean install using the W7 upgrade disk like we could with Vista?

Would the fact that I have one 64 bit and one 32-bit make any difference? I know both versions are on the disk.
From a legal point of view, you are only allowed to install one. In your case you will legally need to purchase 2 disc/licenses. I know that means you will have 4 discs (2 x86 and 2 x64) but you will be legal.

As for the clean install from disk, I would assume so, it will look for a previously installed OS and "upgrade it". For many of us, that means we can just "upgrade" our Windows 7 beta (I hope).
I am planing to clean off all 3 of my OS on my desktop (XP, Vista x64 and W7 beta), reset the partitions to the full drives, and going only to Windows 7 x64 on the main drive and Ubuntu 9.04 on the secondary drive. The other computers in my house will stay with the XP that is installed.... until I get another W7 license or two to update a few of them.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jun 2009   #12
Snufffed

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising
Would the fact that I have one 64 bit and one 32-bit make any difference? I know both versions are on the disk.
Actually unless MS changes there way. you get 1 disk = x86 version and 1 disk = x64 version.
Both versions (Vista ) used the same KEY, and legally you could install 1 version on ea computer, BUT ONLY 1 COMPUTER WAS ALLOWED ON THE NET AT A TIME.
(was possible to detect 2 computer same KEY and both then could be SLAMMED.)


Attached Thumbnails
-42.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #13
Dwarf

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Hi Rising and welcome to Se7en Forums

At the moment, whilst we are using the RC build of W7, there is no limit as to how many systems a single copy can be installed on. However, once we move to the retail versions, then it will be one copy per machine. By that, I don't mean a physical copy as the same disk can be used to install W7 on as many machines as you like. Instead, I am referring to the licences, i.e. the 25-digit product keys. Each machine will require its own, unique, product key. You will need to note, though, that the actual edition of W7 installed on an individual machine (the disks contain all editions) will be determined by the product key. Also note that the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are on separate disks and currently have separate keys (at least in the RC builds).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Jun 2009   #14
Rising

Windows 7 RC
 
 

Thanks. So don't we get different keys for each RC build downloaded? How likely is it that we would get a key for each version, 32-bit and 64-bit?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #15
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

No, you can use the same key with the 7100 RC build (don't know about the later torrent builds). One key will activate up to 5 machines for an unlimited number of reactivations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #16
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rising View Post
Also, will it be possible to do a clean install using the W7 upgrade disk like we could with Vista?
Yes. 'Upgrade or Full' What is the difference..

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #17
YupYup

Win 7
 
 

You can use the same key on the later torrent builds, and the key is good for 32 and 64 bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #18
Snufffed

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YupYup View Post
You can use the same key on the later torrent builds, and the key is good for 32 and 64 bit.
I tested both x86 and x64 versions of Win7 and used the same key to activate both... My Vista Ultimate Keys will activate both 86 and 64.
same key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2009   #19
lifeis2030

1) Vista Home Prem. x64 2) XP MCE x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dwarf View Post
Hi Rising and welcome to Se7en Forums

At the moment, whilst we are using the RC build of W7, there is no limit as to how many systems a single copy can be installed on. However, once we move to the retail versions, then it will be one copy per machine. By that, I don't mean a physical copy as the same disk can be used to install W7 on as many machines as you like. Instead, I am referring to the licences, i.e. the 25-digit product keys. Each machine will require its own, unique, product key. You will need to note, though, that the actual edition of W7 installed on an individual machine (the disks contain all editions) will be determined by the product key. Also note that the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are on separate disks and currently have separate keys (at least in the RC builds).
Hi! My current situation: I have a Dell running XP 32-bit and a HP on Vista 64-bit. I ordered the W7 Pro Upgrade from a local retailer.
My questions: Can I legally use the single order of W7 Pro Upgrade on both systems, with respects to the microprocessors? Does separate product keys mean multiple licenses? Will I have to get a total of 2 W7 Pro Upgrades?
Thanks in advance for any input.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2009   #20
andych

Windows 7 RTM Ultimate - Activated (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lifeis2030 View Post
Hi! My current situation: I have a Dell running XP 32-bit and a HP on Vista 64-bit. I ordered the W7 Pro Upgrade from a local retailer.
My questions: Can I legally use the single order of W7 Pro Upgrade on both systems, with respects to the microprocessors? Does separate product keys mean multiple licenses? Will I have to get a total of 2 W7 Pro Upgrades?
Thanks in advance for any input.
You will only get 1 key and it will work for either 32 bit or 64 bit but as outlined above by pretty much everyone.....it can only be used for a single Installation. You can use the disc to install on as many machines as you like but you will not be able to activate any more than one unless you purchase more Licenses....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How many computers will I be able to install W7 on?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
It is legal to install Windows 7 on customers computers?
Hi, I have several customers that ask me to install them Windows 7, but they dont have licence. Can I install them Windows 7 home edition and warn them they have 30 days to active it buying a license? Is that legal?
Windows Updates & Activation
how to install an update KB2718704 on all computers on the network
there are about 40 computers on the LAN and all of them are Windows 7. AC DC is Windows Server 2008. So I wonder if it is possible to install the update (only this update) to all client computers on the network automatically?
Windows Updates & Activation
Same Disk used to install on two computers, 1 wont work
I have recently created my own Windows 7 copy using this tutorial How to Create Windows 7 Bootable DVD or ISO by Britec - YouTube which worked great I then used the disk to format and re install windows 7 on my laptop, which worked fine. Now im trying to do it on my PC, it gets to 38%...
Installation & Setup
How many computers can I install with Windows 7?
I have 1 original Windows home premium CD, how many computers can share that CD?
Installation & Setup
Using same key to install on two computers
Simple question, is it possible? My sister's laptop is running the RC that I was using recently. But I upgraded, using the key I bought for the Windows 7 Retail from the digital river student sale offer. Her computer will also start to expire soon, so I need to do the same there. But this is the...
Installation & Setup
7 ultimate install on 2 computers?
Hello all, Great forums and useful info. I'm new to the forums, and a total noob to OS installs, so apologies in advance for the following long exposition: I recently got a new Media Center PC with Windows 7x64 ultimate (which I thought allows installation on 2 PCs) I have and existing...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App