Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: How many computers will I be able to install W7 on?

26 Jun 2009   #1

Windows 7 RC
 
 
How many computers will I be able to install W7 on?

I have a desktop and a laptop and I'd like to have it on both without having to buy 2 copies. Is it possible to do while being able to receive Windows updates? Also, will it be possible to do a clean install using the Windows 7 upgrade disk like we could with Vista?

Would the fact that I have one 64 bit and one 32-bit make any difference? I know both versions are on the disk.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #2

Vista
 
 

Hi,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rising View Post
I have a desktop and a laptop and I'd like to have it on both without having to buy 2 copies. Is it possible to do while being able to receive Windows updates?
well, i think it is possible.... but i don't know if it is legel.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rising View Post
Also, will it be possible to do a clean install using the Windows 7 upgrade disk like we could with Vista?
I can not imagine why not.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rising View Post
Would the fact that I have one 64 bit and one 32-bit make any difference? I know both versions are on the disk.
I am not sure, but i have heared that if purchase the Windows 7 Upgrade version electronically (preferably through the presale and directly from Microsoft), you're given the choice to download the x64 bits


Hope this helps.... but if you are not sure you can contact Micro$oft about that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #3

Windows 7 RC (Build 7100)
 
 

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure one copy is one license for one machine. It's been a while since I've had two computers that didn't come with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Jun 2009   #4
Legacy Code

 

I thought you was able to use one copy on 3 machines for personal use ?...but i may be wrong so please dont hold me to that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2bn2b View Post

I am not sure, but i have heared that if purchase the Windows 7 Upgrade version electronically (preferably through the presale and directly from Microsoft), you're given the choice to download the x64 bits
I checked the M$ store link and the upgrade kits are selling with both x86 and x64 so there is no need for electronic version (unless it is more convenient for you)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Uhmm

only one I guess since you only get one license key
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #7

XPSP3, Se7en RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rising View Post
I have a desktop and a laptop and I'd like to have it on both without having to buy 2 copies. Is it possible to do while being able to receive Windows updates?
You should have no problems receiving updates via the Automatic Updates feature in Windows. No license check is performed with this method.

However, licensing verification will be required to access the main Windows Update site through a web browser. So assuming you have a single copy of Windows installed on two or more computers, accessing the Windows Update site on more than one computer will certainly fail the genuine validation check.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #8

Windows 7 RC
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
You should have no problems receiving updates via the Automatic Updates feature in Windows. No license check is performed with this method.

However, licensing verification will be required to access the main Windows Update site through a web browser. So assuming you have a single copy of Windows installed on two or more computers, accessing the Windows Update site on more than one computer will certainly fail the genuine validation check.
Last time I even bothered with Windows Update through a browser was with XP. On Vista and Windows 7, it's handled through the windows update app. So would it be okay to do since it's handled through that app? Also, what if I'm using one comp at a time? Say I update one, switch it off and go and update the other one, will it work?

And I've read about that 3 machines per copy thing before, which was one of the reasons I asked here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #9

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

I think its more like 3 activations per key. But that is regardless if you install it on the same computer each time... So I think what you are trying to do (activating the same product key on multiple machines) is against the license agreement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2009   #10

Windows 7 RTM
 
 

The answer is (1)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How many computers will I be able to install W7 on?





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How many computers will I be able to install W7 on?
Thread Forum
Clean install of Windows on Dell computers Drivers
how to install an update KB2718704 on all computers on the network Windows Updates & Activation
Ways, to install software to multiple computers at the same time? Software
Same Disk used to install on two computers, 1 wont work Installation & Setup
How many computers can I install with Windows 7? Installation & Setup
Using same key to install on two computers Installation & Setup
7 ultimate install on 2 computers? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33