Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win7 dualboot AND Win7 update question

27 Jun 2009   #1
TheSaw

Win 7 7100
 
 
Win7 dualboot AND Win7 update question

Hey, I have two questions:

I am running Win7 dualbooted with WinXP, everything works fine. I want to get rid of the XP partition, and keep the Win7 one only, but there is a problem. THe partition on which XP is installed is set as system and active. I've googled around but I've found no easy solutions to this. Any ideas on how to do this without reinstalling the OS?

My second question would be about the Win7 update: I installed the 7100 build, when it got released, but as I saw now, the latest builds are like 7200+. Are the changes updated on my build somehow, or I would have to reinstall to have the new build?

Thx.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jun 2009   #2
grouchpunk08

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
Hey, I have two questions:

I am running Win7 dualbooted with WinXP, everything works fine. I want to get rid of the XP partition, and keep the Win7 one only, but there is a problem. THe partition on which XP is installed is set as system and active. I've googled around but I've found no easy solutions to this. Any ideas on how to do this without reinstalling the OS?

My second question would be about the Win7 update: I installed the 7100 build, when it got released, but as I saw now, the latest builds are like 7200+. Are the changes updated on my build somehow, or I would have to reinstall to have the new build?

Thx.
To see the changes in the different builds, you'd need to install those builds. Its not really cruicial, but there a few noticable differences once you get to 7232. It just feels more stable.

And to fix your boot problem, PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS BEFORE DOING IT, I'm pretty sure if boot into windows 7 and you open computer, right click the white space and hit properties to open the 'system' page, then in the left panel click on advanced system settings. A new window will come up. make sure the advanced tab is selected, and hit settings under startup and recovery. There will be a new window with a box that says default operating system. On yours it should say xp. Open the box and choose Windows 7 and that SHOULD fix your problem. please have someone confirm this tho, I dont want to be responsible for making your computer unbootable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #3
Captain Zero

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Personally, I recommend x64 7201. It has proven to be a very stable build. When you install it, simply boot from the DVD and delete the existing XP/7 partions using the 7 installer and allow it to format the drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Jun 2009   #4
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

First, make sure you're set to see all hidden and system files. Then, copy the bootmgr file from the XP partition root to the 7 partition root. Then copy the boot folder from XP root to 7 root, ignoring the warning that you can not copy bcd and bcd.log. Let it skip over those when copying.

Then open an elevated command prompt and type

bcdedit /export X:\boot\bcd

where you change X to your 7 partition. So if 7 is D:\ do

bcdedit /export D:\boot\bcd

Now set the 7 partition as the active partition in disk management, part of computer management. Reboot, and now you should be able to format or delete the XP partition. Before you do so, you can simply type bcdedit in the elevated command prompt to check on things, if they're correct.

Finally, you can remove XP from the boot menu using free Easybcd software or go to start menu search box and type msconfig.exe and hit enter. Go to the boot tab and remove XP here.

If you want to use a latest build, you must download it from a torrent and either upgrade or clean install. Upgrade will be fine if your system is running fine now.

Post back with any questions or problems and good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #5
TheSaw

Win 7 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grouchpunk08 View Post
To see the changes in the different builds, you'd need to install those builds. Its not really cruicial, but there a few noticable differences once you get to 7232. It just feels more stable.

And to fix your boot problem, PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS BEFORE DOING IT, I'm pretty sure if boot into windows 7 and you open computer, right click the white space and hit properties to open the 'system' page, then in the left panel click on advanced system settings. A new window will come up. make sure the advanced tab is selected, and hit settings under startup and recovery. There will be a new window with a box that says default operating system. On yours it should say xp. Open the box and choose Windows 7 and that SHOULD fix your problem. please have someone confirm this tho, I dont want to be responsible for making your computer unbootable.
No, I have Win7 there are default OS... I don't think it's related, I just had XP installed first, so it somehow remained system partition.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Captain Zero View Post
Personally, I recommend x64 7201. It has proven to be a very stable build. When you install it, simply boot from the DVD and delete the existing XP/7 partions using the 7 installer and allow it to format the drive.
Well I have everything so nicely installed here, I'm just too lazy to reinstall and reconfigure everything But if it's worth it, I'll do it and fix my partition problems aswell.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #6
TheSaw

Win 7 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
First, make sure you're set to see all hidden and system files. Then, copy the bootmgr file from the XP partition root to the 7 partition root. Then copy the boot folder from XP root to 7 root, ignoring the warning that you can not copy bcd and bcd.log. Let it skip over those when copying.

Then open an elevated command prompt and type

bcdedit /export X:\boot

where you change X to your 7 partition. So if 7 is C:\ do

bcdedit /export C:\boot

Now set the 7 partition as the active partition in disk management, part of computer management. Reboot, and now you should be able to format or delete the XP partition. Before you do so, you can simply type bcdedit in the elevated command prompt to check on things, if they're correct.

Finally, you can remove XP from the boot menu using free Easybcd software or go to start menu search box and type msconfig.exe and hit enter. Go to the boot tab and remove XP here.

If you want to use a latest build, you must download it from a torrent and either upgrade or clean install. Upgrade will be fine if your system is running fine now.

Post back with any questions or problems and good luck!
I'm going to try the partition thingy now.
About the update, if the system is running fine, would it be different from a clean install?

Thanks for the really prompt answers

LE: If i will delete the XP partition, will I be able to expand and add the free space to the Win7 partition?

LE2: After moving the 'boot' folder to win7 root, I get this error:

Code:
The store export operation has failed.
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #7
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

If you upgrade, it will retain all of your installed programs and tweaks.

Yes, you will be able to expand the 7 partition after to include the newly freed space.

Delete the boot folder on 7 and copy again, then do the command. I fixed the command in my last post. It was slightly wrong due to rushing heh. Will be good now.

You're welcome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #8
Mongo

XPSP3, Se7en RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
I am running Win7 dualbooted with WinXP, everything works fine. I want to get rid of the XP partition, and keep the Win7 one only, but there is a problem. THe partition on which XP is installed is set as system and active. I've googled around but I've found no easy solutions to this. Any ideas on how to do this without reinstalling the OS?
All the more reason to have a small dedicated (100mb) active primary partition solely for boot files...

If you do decide to start over, give it some thought. I've setup my system this way for years. It's a big time saver and very convenient. My point is -- should you ever want to install a second or third OS and then get rid of it later on, you wouldn't find yourself stuck in a rut as you are in now. Things will be a lot easier to manage and maintain.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #9
TheSaw

Win 7 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
If you upgrade, it will retain all of your installed programs and tweaks.

Yes, you will be able to expand the 7 partition after to include the newly freed space.

Delete the boot folder on 7 and copy again, then do the command. I fixed the command in my last post. It was slightly wrong due to rushing heh. Will be good now.

You're welcome.
Okay, it worked now. One more thing to check before I reboot. This Win7 partition was the last partition (I have 4, so it was F: ), but it became C: after installing the OS on it. Won't that mix up things?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
All the more reason to have a small dedicated (100mb) active primary partition solely for boot files...

If you do decide to start over, give it some thought. I've setup my system this way for years. It's a big time saver and very convenient. My point is -- should you ever want to install a second or third OS and then get rid of it later on, you wouldn't find yourself stuck in a rut as you are in now. Things will be a lot easier to manage and maintain.
I don't usually add or remove OS's, I'm trying to stick to a good and stable one

Thx.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2009   #10
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSaw View Post
Okay, it worked now. One more thing to check before I reboot. This Win7 partition was the last partition (I have 4, so it was F: ), but it became C: after installing the OS on it. Won't that mix up things?
Nah. Should be good to go. Booting does not work by drive letters. It works by partition or drive. As long as the correct boot files (as we did here) are on the partition that is set active, you will boot well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win7 dualboot AND Win7 update question




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Untangle my XP and Win7 Dualboot
Hey, guys. I'd love some experienced advice! First, just to prove gray hair doesn't mean wisdom: I've almost always (well, since 1998) run dual-boot systems: I went from Windows 3.1.1 to a Win 95/Win98 dualboot using Bootmagic. From about 2001 I used WinXP Pro/WinXP Pro (one for audio editing, one...
Installation & Setup
How change 2 partition dualboot (win7/win8) into 1 part. for data only
I'm adding SSD for the operating system and want to use the existing dual boot HD for my data drive. Need to make it 1 partition and get all the existing win7 and win8 files removed. I can get to Disc Management screen but not exactly sure what steps to take.
Installation & Setup
win7 linux dualboot, change it from windows?
is there some easy program for windows that can detect my linux partions and modify the bootloader to add an entry for linux? i had only linux on my netbook, recently i have installed windows, and naturally it has overeritten linux bootloader so now i can onlt boot windows....
Installation & Setup
Win XP dualboot Win7 (XP HDD failure)
I desperately need assistance! I am running XP SP3 on one HDD and installed Win7 Enterprise on another HDD thus dualbooting from XP. Today it would appear that the XP HDD has given in. It is not picked up during boot. Win7 however would now not start. During boot up it requests that the boot...
Installation & Setup
another dualboot question: XP and win7
I have a HD with 4 partitions (C,K,L,M). C is XP Home SP3 operating system , the rest is all data. If i delete everything on partition M can I then install win 7 on M without any other action ? And how to install ? from within XP and point to the M partition or a boot installation ? thnx and...
Installation & Setup
Win7 + Vista X64 dualboot inst.error :(
IŽam using Win7 X64 b7057 primary on C: (second partition D: for data). I tried to intall Vista 64bit for dualboot, but after GUI of installing Vista finished and FIRST restarted an error black screen appeared after dual b. selection, when I select Vista: failed to start...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App