Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: "Safe to remove hardware" balloon does not show up

19 Feb 2011   #1
198four

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
"Safe to remove hardware" balloon does not show up

Whenever I safely disconnect any of my USB devices from any USB ports, the balloon does not show up confirming that devices are now safe to disconnect. And when I go to "devices nd printers" i see the device listed there with a yellow exclamation mark (!) next to it. THis started happening couple of weeks ago and I havent been able to find a solution yet.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Feb 2011   #2
EzioAuditore

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

What error is reported under device manager for the deivce?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2011   #3
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Might have to update your drivers..right click on the yellow ex (!) and try to update. or grab the drivers from your manufacturer brand.

Any screenshot of the device manager?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Feb 2011   #4
wds7

WDS 7 Home Pre.x64
 
 

If it's in device Manager .... then go back there right click uninstall it.....reboot immediately ...
Let wds reinstall it for you .....
If driver update doesn't work then roll it back .....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Feb 2011   #5
198four

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Tried all these steps

Here's the error i get
Quote:
Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2011   #6
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 198four View Post
Tried all these steps

Here's the error i get
Quote:
Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.
So, i've you done it, then rebooted your computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2011   #7
gregrocker

 

When a Device is showing error in Devices & Printers, rightclick on it to Troubleshoot the problem.

What is the Device - the computer itself? Likely a driver which troubleshooter will reveal. If not check Device manager. Driver Install - Device Manager

Did you use the chipset provided by the WIn7 installer, or have you updated it from the mobo's Support Downloads webpage? You may need to update USB controller, or roll back to installer-provided. Never update drivers from installer unless performance requires it.

Troubleshooting fundamentals for Win7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2011   #8
198four

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 198four View Post
Tried all these steps

Here's the error i get
Quote:
Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.
So, i've you done it, then rebooted your computer?
Yes I have. Same issues
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2011   #9
198four

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
When a Device is showing error in Devices & Printers, rightclick on it to Troubleshoot the problem.

What is the Device - the computer itself? Likely a driver which troubleshooter will reveal. If not check Device manager. Driver Install - Device Manager

Did you use the chipset provided by the WIn7 installer, or have you updated it from the mobo's Support Downloads webpage? You may need to update USB controller, or roll back to installer-provided. Never update drivers from installer unless performance requires it.

Troubleshooting fundamentals for Win7
Could you guide me a little more. From what I understand, I should stick with Windows 7 provided drivers and shouldn't have used the CD that came with my motherboard? I have an ASUS M4A785-M motherboard...where can I get USB controller driver?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2011   #10
gregrocker

 

Are the drivers current?

Check the Asus Support Downloads webpage for your model.

Try running SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker now.

If this doesn't help, try a Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 "Safe to remove hardware" balloon does not show up




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
"Safely remove hardware" not displaying balloon
The "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the notification area will not display the balloon-type notification upon removal of a USB drive or other device. I have mucked about all through my computer's settings, fiddled with the group policy editor and the registry, but to no avail. I attempted to...
Hardware & Devices
Safely Remove Hardware icon is present. Will not display popup "Safe..
Safely Remove Hardware icon is present. Will not display popup "Safe to Remove Hardware" It's got me stumped. I have the safe to remove icon present in my notification area, both when I hide some icons and when I choose to show all the icons. When I plug in either a usb flash drive, or an...
General Discussion
Two 4Gb DDR3 Ram chips, both show up, but one is "Hardware Reserved"
Hello, I have been having issues with a new Ram chip I've been trying to install on my Asus K53TA laptop, I've spoken with a few knowledgable folks and so far the only conclusion was that my OS must be 32-bit. However, I have double and triple checked, I am running a 64-bit Windows Home Premium SP1...
Hardware & Devices
"Safely remove hardware" not showing drive letter/label
From my "Safely remove hardware and eject media" I get a dialog that says: Open Devices and Printers ------------------------- Ian's pc - Eject ST320005 42A2 SCSI Disk Device - Eject ST320005 42A2 SCSI Disk Device
Hardware & Devices
Show icon for "safely remove hardware"
I have set up several Windows 7 computers to always show the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray, when a flash drive is installed. However, the Windows 7 Home edition I have just installed doesn't list that icon as an option when I click on customise. How can I get that option to...
General Discussion
Remove "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon
Does anyone know how to remove the "safely remove hardware" icon in the taskbar? I do not mean hide it. I have my icons always show in the notification area because I don't like the arrow icon either. Any ideas? Thanks.
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App