Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Corrupt Disk!!! Help!

15 Feb 2009   #21
Chappy

Vista Ult 64bit - Windows 7 Ult 7264 64bit
 
 

I had the same issue last month when building up my program base, and many others have had this as well.

I (and they) think this is just an issue with how well W7 is handling the disk controller(s) and it's having trouble seeing good space as corrupted.
The fact that Vista (and XP) don't report any disk corruptions kinda steers us towards this not being a disk problem itself, but how well W7 is able to read or access it sometimes.
This has been reported to MS by a great many people and I've heard rumor that MS is looking deep into it. It's possible that this problem for some of us, could be fixed in the next build release. I certainly haven't been installing programs lately like I did the first month, and that's why I haven't seen the problem arise since then, but it certainly did happen a few times for me and usually just being persistent got those programs to install.

Hopefully, this is all there is too it, and I think this is what's happening to many of us. Never know, it could be we all have the same controller chips on our HDD's and W7 is having an issue with that, but I hope that's all it is.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Feb 2009   #22
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
I had the same issue last month when building up my program base, and many others have had this as well.

I (and they) think this is just an issue with how well W7 is handling the disk controller(s) and it's having trouble seeing good space as corrupted.
The fact that Vista (and XP) don't report any disk corruptions kinda steers us towards this not being a disk problem itself, but how well W7 is able to read or access it sometimes.
This has been reported to MS by a great many people and I've heard rumor that MS is looking deep into it. It's possible that this problem for some of us, could be fixed in the next build release. I certainly haven't been installing programs lately like I did the first month, and that's why I haven't seen the problem arise since then, but it certainly did happen a few times for me and usually just being persistent got those programs to install.

Hopefully, this is all there is too it, and I think this is what's happening to many of us. Never know, it could be we all have the same controller chips on our HDD's and W7 is having an issue with that, but I hope that's all it is.
Well, not just some installs... but this is not a file on the system disk, this is a "storage" disk, that has been checked/scanned by win7 and reported no file system errors, bad sectors, ect. I have the system drive as a sata. The HD in question is on a IDE 0 or 1, i cant recall atm. I first thought it was the disk, then maybe winrar, even replaced cat5 cables, checked ram, replaced ram ect... This was also creating a problem with downloading a file (ms exchange) from MS actually, to both the system drive, and the "storage" drive... which both instances i got the corruption error download another error. Even if i boot into XP, unrar an app, and check installer to be good, then boot to 7, and corrrrrrupt... tis really frustrating
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2009   #23
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Well, not just some installs... but this is not a file on the system disk, this is a "storage" disk, that has been checked/scanned by win7 and reported no file system errors, bad sectors, ect. I have the system drive as a sata. The HD in question is on a IDE 0 or 1, i cant recall atm. I first thought it was the disk, then maybe winrar, even replaced cat5 cables, checked ram, replaced ram ect... This was also creating a problem with downloading a file (ms exchange) from MS actually, to both the system drive, and the "storage" drive... which both instances i got the corruption error download another error. Even if i boot into XP, unrar an app, and check installer to be good, then boot to 7, and corrrrrrupt... tis really frustrating
i believe it might be that it might how 7 is writing to the indexes (not the windows search ones but the ntfs ones...)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Feb 2009   #24
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

I had this issue before and made it go away by defragging and compacting the mft with Paragon Partition Manager
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2009   #25
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
i believe it might be that it might how 7 is writing to the indexes (not the windows search ones but the ntfs ones...)
These other files in question (rars) that were on the storage disk were not written while on win7... and yes ntfs format on both drives fyi
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2009   #26
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
I had this issue before and made it go away by defragging and compacting the mft with Paragon Partition Manager
That is a thought, i will give this a go as I have had similar results. Pmagic seeing disks that needed to be chk'd when XP didnt see a problem. But I am leaning towards the driver IDE/sata/ controller
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2009   #27
Chappy

Vista Ult 64bit - Windows 7 Ult 7264 64bit
 
 

Hi Digger

System or storage disk would make no difference as it's still W7 that's trying to access the disk in question. If Vista has no problem on the same disk with the same program, then that kinda shows it's a W7 issue. I know how much PITA it is too my friend...I know very well..
I found persistence paid off many times so far in W7. Like my TV tuner and Media center. For weeks I couldn't get MC to scan for my set-top box main channel properly, and then one night I just decided to keep trying. On the 7th try, it worked and has been working ever since. Also, it keeps saying "Viewing or Tuner Conflict" on start many times, but restarting MC always fixes that too.
I know it's frustrating, I can only imagine the issues it's causing you, but I really believe it's a W7 bug that will get fixed soon, an then you'll be Happy dancing...(LOL)

DA - that very well may be also. It does seem to be a very specific W7 issue, but just exactly where that issue is occuring is unknown to us ATM. I think MS has probably isolated it by now, and it should be addressed in the next build release (we hope)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2009   #28
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Hi Digger

System or storage disk would make no difference as it's still W7 that's trying to access the disk in question. If Vista has no problem on the same disk with the same program, then that kinda shows it's a W7 issue. I know how much PITA it is too my friend...I know very well..
I found persistence paid off many times so far in W7. Like my TV tuner and Media center. For weeks I couldn't get MC to scan for my set-top box main channel properly, and then one night I just decided to keep trying. On the 7th try, it worked and has been working ever since. Also, it keeps saying "Viewing or Tuner Conflict" on start many times, but restarting MC always fixes that too.
I know it's frustrating, I can only imagine the issues it's causing you, but I really believe it's a W7 bug that will get fixed soon, an then you'll be Happy dancing...(LOL)

DA - that very well may be also. It does seem to be a very specific W7 issue, but just exactly where that issue is occuring is unknown to us ATM. I think MS has probably isolated it by now, and it should be addressed in the next build release (we hope)
Thanks for the reponses chappy, and the rest... But chappy this is a HUGE issue. I can understand issues with the likes of MC, or a camera driver or somthing like that, but this is the heart of the OS... if it reads data as being corrupt or whatever is going on, how can MS even release this publicly imo?? an old video card not found, sure i understand... but this really IS rediculous by any standards... I'm on x86, has this also been an issue with the x64 edition?

[edit] Nevermind, i see that you are on x64 chappy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2009   #29
Chappy

Vista Ult 64bit - Windows 7 Ult 7264 64bit
 
 

Hi Digger

Yes, it is a big problem for those experiencing it. But it's possible that MS had no idea about it (if it is the problem afterall) until it started showing up for some people. That's also why this Beta release program is such a good idea, they get to test this out on millions of different configurations and see what pops up. This is exactly what they're looking for in this release program and if it is a problem with W7 and disk I/O, I'm sure it's being addresses as we speak.
That is the nature of being a Beta after all...

Best of luck Digger!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2009   #30
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Hi Digger

Yes, it is a big problem for those experiencing it. But it's possible that MS had no idea about it (if it is the problem afterall) until it started showing up for some people. That's also why this Beta release program is such a good idea, they get to test this out on millions of different configurations and see what pops up. This is exactly what they're looking for in this release program and if it is a problem with W7 and disk I/O, I'm sure it's being addresses as we speak.
That is the nature of being a Beta after all...

Best of luck Digger!

Well, it wasnt luck, but I managed to figure out (what i think) the problem is/was, atleast for me, and maybe a few others as well - mainly dual booters with this problem and other OS's used (particulary XP in my case).

Basically thru many trials and errors yesterday and about a half day of trying to reinstall 7 I have narrowed it down to something to do with the file system, as type/version of NTFS or in shorter terms, what 7 uses as Fdisk possibly... either or.

My first install i had formatted the partition -to be used for 7- with windows xp prior to install. I didnt use the windows7 installation setup of creating a partition nor the format (since i had done this already in xp). This time, well the final time I used 7 to DELETE the previous 7 partition, create new (which then automatically made it system/primary as an extended partition on Disk 0. That has stood as the answer to atleast my problem, as nothing else- including programs installed- has changed from my previous system setup and order of how i install things (old habit hard to break). A bad memory stick has not been the case for me, as this HAS been the answer in previous similar situation before with XP.

Of course i found alot of saved programs.exe that i had moved to a different drive from the previous 7 install and they ended up having corrupt installers (duh). while everything else on same drive had no problems, just the ones from the corrupt installation of 7. Some other "issues" that i had on that prior installation has gone away as well. Like some programs that i knew were not corrupt, now install and unarchive just fine... and a few other small nag errors i use to see.

Also, like my installation on my laptop (which i DID use 7 to format the system partition), my desktop install of 7 made the partiton with seven's install, C:. When before install, that same partition under 7 was marked D:. It also made my C:\xp windows primary partition DISAPPEAR. Since it did the same on laptop install as well i knew what had happened. I just cant explain for the life of me why the installation does that to the HD partiton setup. Nor why formatting with a partiton while under XP makes it a corrupt install. I did this many times before i finally let seven format the partiton. I got the C:\xp partiton back of course and renamed.

If i'm not mistaken, this same exact problem was an issue with winXP and win98 dual boot... i remember having to at first load the i386 folder on the marked partition with fdisk. Its been awhile but i do remember a similar problem referencing to those times. I am banking on the lines it goes back to the reason why i had corruption problems previously. I let XP control and say who what when where instead of letting 7 determine and distribute how the file system is written... my opionion of sorts......... But i am still monitoring the goings on as this install is only 24 hours old now. So far so good tho.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Corrupt Disk!!! Help!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Disk structure is corrupt and unreadable
A WD My Passport 2TB USB drive started giving me beeps at startup and shutdown a few days ago. Today I cannot access the drive contents and get the message in the thread title. I also got messages before this saying the disk needed to be formatted. Tried a new cable from another WD My Passport,...
Hardware & Devices
System Volume on Disk is Corrupt
Hi everyone. Here's a complex problem. Preface: While I was on my PC as usual one day, everything froze except the cursor, and I had to reboot. But upon restarting, I was presented with two options. 'Repair (recommended)' and 'Start Windows normally'. (The following happens every time, and is...
Hardware & Devices
Corrupt disk after trying to print???
I have a 1tb portable hard drive (WD My Passport SE) with backup data on it. I was working on a project (self-designed Cisco network case study) which involved several visio drawings. I would like to print these to my default printer. So, I right click on all of them and click print. I have...
Software
Hard Disk corrupt
Hello, Im my home-theatre PC (Win7, 32-bit) I have 2 HD's: 1 x 500GB, with 2 partitions: Win7OS and Multimedia (photo's and mp3's) 1 x 1500GB, with 1 partition: Video (DVD, MKV and Blueray) Now my Motherboard had some problems with SATA2. This Mobo is sent back to my supplier and it takes...
Hardware & Devices
Cant Download Programs.. Corrupt Disk
When ever i go to download like firefox or skype or aim or anything it tells me that internet explore is unable to find the server. when i go to start my computer up with Windows 7 on it. it does a disk check everytime.
General Discussion
Corrupt disk (even after three installs!)
For my Windows 7 installs, after about two days the W7 partition eventually becomes corrupt (see this thread, 3rd post, for similar pictures: http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/1468-corrupt-disk-help.html). No disk check of any kind finds any errors or fixes anything (chkdsk, a few 3rd...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App