Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Feedback on using Vista Ultimate

25 Feb 2011   #1
motc7

 
 
Feedback on using Vista Ultimate

I have a chance to acquire some unused copies of Vista Ultimate from my work. I may only have to pay 50 bucks for the upgrade copies. I was thinking of buying some new desktops without an OS and just load this on there to use for some home servers.

couple of questions:

1. Is it worth it given the advent of Win 7?
2. Since they are upgrade licenses, can they be installed clean like an Upgrade to Win 7 can be currently.

3. What are your thoughts on support for such an OS?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Feb 2011   #2
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

If I were in your place I'd grab the offer for the following reasons:

1) Post SP2, vista transformed into a great OS. In fact till recently I had a machine with vista sp2 and barely felt the difference from my win7 machine. True Vista is more demanding of hardware, somewhat heavier on resources plus has less driver support natively than win7. But you are buying new hardware plus drivers for such hardware will be readily available.

2) Upgrade disks can be used to clean install vista via the double install method. See here.

Clean Install From Upgrade Vista - Vista Forums

3) End of extended support for Vista SP2 is April 11, 2017. That gives you 6 years to make use of the cheap licenses.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #3
motc7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
If I were in your place I'd grab the offer for the following reasons:

1) Post SP2, vista transformed into a great OS. In fact till recently I had a machine with vista sp2 and barely felt the difference from my win7 machine. True Vista is more demanding of hardware, somewhat heavier on resources plus has less driver support natively than win7. But you are buying new hardware plus drivers for such hardware will be readily available.

2) Upgrade disks can be used to clean install vista via the double install method. See here.

Clean Install From Upgrade Vista - Vista Forums

3) End of extended support for Vista SP2 is April 11, 2017. That gives you 6 years to make use of the cheap licenses.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows

I think you are right. I just got the copy of it now. and free.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Feb 2011   #4
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I wouldn't. For $33 each, you can get a 3-pack of Windows 7 Home Premium licenses. Vista SP2 was a good OS, but unless they were free, I wouldn't bother. Besides, if you want a Home Server...use a server OS. WHS 1.0 can be purchased now, or Vail (WHS 2.0) will be coming out in the next few months as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #5
motc7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I wouldn't. For $33 each, you can get a 3-pack of Windows 7 Home Premium licenses. Vista SP2 was a good OS, but unless they were free, I wouldn't bother. Besides, if you want a Home Server...use a server OS. WHS 1.0 can be purchased now, or Vail (WHS 2.0) will be coming out in the next few months as well.
On WHS home much we talking price wise?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #6
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I bought my OEM copy on sale for $75, but I've seen it has high as $100. If you don't want a paid solution, FreeNAS and several other products are out there as well. The point I meant was, don't use a hammer to drive in a screw. If you want a server, use a server OS. If you want a desktop system, get a desktop OS, and Windows 7 could be cheaper (and better).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #7
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I wouldn't spend $50 on Windows Vista if you are planning to run server based stuff. Do you have any experience with server based stuff, or are you attempting to learn about it?

While I used to be very interested in Windows Home Server, since MS has decided to remove the Drive Extender functionality in the upcoming release, I have no interest in this product anymore. As others have said, you could play with something like FreeNas if you are attempting to set up storage space on your home network for files. It's very slick and very easy to use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #8
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
While I used to be very interested in Windows Home Server, since MS has decided to remove the Drive Extender functionality in the upcoming release, I have no interest in this product anymore.
Three separate companies are working on plug-ins to add this functionality back in. While it might not be as convenient as having the OS support it right away, at least the functionality will be there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #9
motc7

 
 

Thanks for the feedback guys...I have read about FreeNAS prior to today and I've been strongly considering that as well.


The Vista Ultimate copy I got for free...apparently my System Admin is being generous.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #10
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Three separate companies are working on plug-ins to add this functionality back in. While it might not be as convenient as having the OS support it right away, at least the functionality will be there.
I guess time will tell, but it's still very disappointing that you would have to go to a third party to get this support that was built into the first one. I'm 1/2 inclined to just say, "up yours MS" and simply use/recommend something else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Feedback on using Vista Ultimate




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Ultimate
Gday On my husbands PC he had Vista Ultimate, I bought from an online store Win 7 Ultimate, it turned out to be an MSDN copy which I have since returned to Microsoft. To cut a long story short Win 7 ended up being a total disaster. So while I am waiting for Microsoft to get back to me, I have...
General Discussion
XP Prof -> Vista Ultimate -> 7 Ultimate
Hi there everyone! I have a little project that i'm planning to do: I'm running Win XP Pro in English Intl, I want to go to win7 Ultimate Dutch as an inplace upgrade through Vista Ultimate. Which Vista Ultimate language version do i use? I think i HAVE to use Vista Ultimate Dutch right? Because...
Installation & Setup
How would I go get Hold'em from vista Ultimate and install it to windows 7 Ultimate
Is it possible to transfer the hold'em poker game files from windows vista ultimate to windows 7 ultimate ? If so how can I do that ? Can someone make a tutorial on that ?
Gaming
VISTA Ultimate to Windows 7 ultimate issues.. wit gamin
Ok, Its either gotta be that Windows have may changes in the O/S for gaming or there just could be something wrong with my computer... I DON"T GET IT. First of all, I had windows vista, CPU over clocked playing all my games with out a drama, (steam, cs, tf2, l4d, COD4) the games started without...
Gaming
Trouble upgrade from Vista Ultimate(32) - 7 Ultimate 32
I'm trying to upgrade a computer from Vista Ultimate (32 bit) to 7 Ultimate (32 bit) and I keep receiving this error message: "This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's...
Installation & Setup
BSOD During upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate
I've tried to upgrade from Vista Ultimate 32 bit to 7 Ultimate 32 bit numerous times now, all with the same result: a BSOD during the install process, which I get during (what I think is) the final step called "Transferring files, settings and programs." The installation compatibility test warns...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App