Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: changing user/local folder location


02 Mar 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 
changing user/local folder location

hello i need help here im using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate of OS, i`m trying to move my folders the

Local(the problem i can't move it)
LocalLow(successfully moved)
Roaming(successfully moved)

to my drive D but the problem is i can't move the "Local" the folder which is located in

"C:/users/(my username)/appdata/local , while in moving process there was a some type of error pops up saying that

"The action can't be completed because the file is open in System

Close the the file and try again

"UsrClass.Dat"
Type: LOG1 file
Size: 256 KB

and the other two that also can't be moved

"UsrClass.Dat.LOG2" and "UsrClass.Dat.LOG1"

i tried to skip those 3 files however another pop up saying that i failed to move the file and operation was canceled by the user?




i tried over and over even on safemode and fresh reformat still not a chance moving that folder

the weird thing is on my other computer has successfully moved the "Local" folder to drive D without any issue ..so anyone knows about this issue? i really need to move the "Local" folder..thanks in advance


EDIT:

okay i just figure how to change it so this thread is closed...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Mar 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64 & Mac OS X 10.7
 
 

Is this for a backup? Because if it's not, you shouldn't move these folders from there current location, there's a reason why there hidden.

Also, even if you do move this folder, Windows 7 would recreate it the next time you logon. Unless you create a shortcut to the new location of these folders in your current AppData folder.

And you can move the folders but it would require you to do so in such a way that you did not use Windows, because that is the service that is using the files that you are trying to move. The computer would have to be either logged off or shut down when the files were being moved, which would require another operating system or even computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Is there some utility you're using that permanently moves the files and directories (similar to how the built-in functionality to move the My Documents folder)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Mar 2011   #4

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

I moved succesfully all the "Users" and "programData" Folders. Eventhough MS recommend not to do this, I have not experimented any problem. Windows Update works Ok, and Applications defaults saving its data to the new locations.

I do it in the following way:

1. I create an XML file (I attach. Change the extension to "xml") in a USB device and insert it in the machine.
2. Run the installation in a normal way, and the instaler program look for this file in all devices and read instructions inside there.
3. When the installation is done, the "Users" and "ProgramData" folders are in the logical unit I specified.
4. I go to "C:" and create a Junction Directory with "mklink" command, pointing to the new location. Eventhough it creates a "ProgramData" folder in "C:" does not use it (it uses the one in the new location).

I know there are several methods to do the same without reinstalling the machine, but this is the only one I have tested with success.


Attached Files
File Type: txt unattend.txt (780 Bytes, 176 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64 & Mac OS X 10.7
 
 

Are you guys trying to save space on your hard drive? If that's the case it's not worth the trouble, just move other non-os essential files that have no risk attached to them such as Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos and the Applications themselves. The AppData is a mere 500MB folder that if lost can cause a lot of damage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JHayward View Post
Is this for a backup? Because if it's not, you shouldn't move these folders from there current location, there's a reason why there hidden.

Also, even if you do move this folder, Windows 7 would recreate it the next time you logon. Unless you create a shortcut to the new location of these folders in your current AppData folder.

And you can move the folders but it would require you to do so in such a way that you did not use Windows, because that is the service that is using the files that you are trying to move. The computer would have to be either logged off or shut down when the files were being moved, which would require another operating system or even computer.
its not for backup its just i installed a software in my drive C if you know the software called deepfreeze you know what i mean..

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by uvazquez View Post
I moved succesfully all the "Users" and "programData" Folders. Eventhough MS recommend not to do this, I have not experimented any problem. Windows Update works Ok, and Applications defaults saving its data to the new locations.

I do it in the following way:

1. I create an XML file (I attach. Change the extension to "xml") in a USB device and insert it in the machine.
2. Run the installation in a normal way, and the instaler program look for this file in all devices and read instructions inside there.
3. When the installation is done, the "Users" and "ProgramData" folders are in the logical unit I specified.
4. I go to "C:" and create a Junction Directory with "mklink" command, pointing to the new location. Eventhough it creates a "ProgramData" folder in "C:" does not use it (it uses the one in the new location).

I know there are several methods to do the same without reinstalling the machine, but this is the only one I have tested with success.
ermm i`m kind a find it a little difficult to understand what you just said but i well try
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Is there some utility you're using that permanently moves the files and directories (similar to how the built-in functionality to move the My Documents folder)?

im not familiar with that but yes you can change or move the location of user or local folder
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #8

Windows 7 pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kentucky777 View Post
hello i need help here im using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate of OS, i`m trying to move my folders the

Local(the problem i can't move it)
LocalLow(successfully moved)
Roaming(successfully moved)

to my drive D but the problem is i can't move the "Local" the folder which is located in

"C:/users/(my username)/appdata/local , while in moving process there was a some type of error pops up saying that

"The action can't be completed because the file is open in System

Close the the file and try again

"UsrClass.Dat"
Type: LOG1 file
Size: 256 KB

and the other two that also can't be moved

"UsrClass.Dat.LOG2" and "UsrClass.Dat.LOG1"

i tried to skip those 3 files however another pop up saying that i failed to move the file and operation was canceled by the user?




i tried over and over even on safemode and fresh reformat still not a chance moving that folder

the weird thing is on my other computer has successfully moved the "Local" folder to drive D without any issue ..so anyone knows about this issue? i really need to move the "Local" folder..thanks in advance


EDIT:

okay i just figure how to change it so this thread is closed...



"SIR ..tell me how?" same thing ..for DF ..c: and d: frozen E: thaw ..my document folder allready in e: ...my other save file still in "C:/users/(my username)/appdata/local" need to move it in e:...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

I've found the easiest way to do things is sometimes the best.

I have an external USB hard drive that powers on and off as and when I put my computer to sleep or switch off.

I have a folder on the external drive named Personal Data, which has sub-folders such as Word 2010, Excel 2010, Images, Music etc. etc.

I then point each application's default save location to the appropriate folder on the external hard drive with the following advantages:

No tiresome data backups, important data is kept away from the C:\ drive, Windows 7's Libraries and junction points are left untouched and restoring Windows from an image when needed is troublefree.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #10

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JHayward View Post
Are you guys trying to save space on your hard drive? If that's the case it's not worth the trouble, just move other non-os essential files that have no risk attached to them such as Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos and the Applications themselves. The AppData is a mere 500MB folder that if lost can cause a lot of damage.
Not all cases are same than yours JHayward. My AppData is rigth now more than 4 GB in size, and I just have installed about 30% of all my Apps. When I installed all of them, it could be more than 10 GB. With a small SSD, it could be a problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 changing user/local folder location




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: changing user/local folder location
Thread Forum
Solved Cannot Delete User Profile Folder in Previous Location General Discussion
Solved changing scan folder location Network & Sharing
Read only folder on local drive, for local user (Windows 7 pro) Network & Sharing
Changing folder Backgrounds of local drives in Win7 Customization
Solved Changing Excel 2010 default save folder location Microsoft Office
Folder in User\Name\Appdata\Local General Discussion
Local Disk inside User Directory (folder) General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33