Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: background downloads

15 Mar 2011   #1
dahermit

Windows 7
 
 
background downloads

I have ie8/Windows 7. I use a dial-up connection. When unidentified programs automatically download/upgrade, my computer slows to the point where it is hard to get anything done (gave up on tdamermitrade account the other day). 30 Mb. download taking 4+ hours, I did not even know what it was.

How do I find out what is downloading (automatically), in the background and how do I stop it so I can get some work done?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Mar 2011   #2
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
I have ie8/Windows 7. I use a dial-up connection. When unidentified programs automatically download/upgrade, my computer slows to the point where it is hard to get anything done (gave up on tdamermitrade account the other day). 30 Mb. download taking 4+ hours, I did not even know what it was.

How do I find out what is downloading (automatically), in the background and how do I stop it so I can get some work done?
A couple of places you might start - Task Manager (Updates Services. Eg jusched), and Notification icons (like adobe's).

How you stop it depends on what program is doing the download. If you have Windows Auto update turned on, you would disable that in Control Panel. Otherwise, the applications that are downloading typically have options available to enable/disable updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2011   #3
wysiwyg

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Dial up connection,!!!!!!!!!!! and you complain at it being slow.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Mar 2011   #4
allend66

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM --> RTM clean install
 
 

Comodo firewall (free) in place of Windows firewall will ask you if you want to allow attempted dial-outs each time something tries to phone home.

Some programs have Options -> preferences -> auto update enable/disable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2011   #5
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Dial up connection,!!!!!!!!!!! and you complain at it being slow.

Tanyam is a Student and may not have access to Broadband!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2011   #6
exiled

Win 7 Pro x64
 
 

Don't really know how to check in windows what exactly is using bandwidth but i know there's a nice gadget for monitoring network usage - click.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2011   #7
dahermit

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tanyam View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
I have ie8/Windows 7. I use a dial-up connection. When unidentified programs automatically download/upgrade, my computer slows to the point where it is hard to get anything done (gave up on tdamermitrade account the other day). 30 Mb. download taking 4+ hours, I did not even know what it was.

How do I find out what is downloading (automatically), in the background and how do I stop it so I can get some work done?
A couple of places you might start - Task Manager (Updates Services. Eg jusched), and Notification icons (like adobe's).

How you stop it depends on what program is doing the download. If you have Windows Auto update turned on, you would disable that in Control Panel. Otherwise, the applications that are downloading typically have options available to enable/disable updates.
Windows Auto update is turned off. No apparent option to enable/disable updates. No notification icons.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2011   #8
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Given the speed of your dial-up, it wouldn't take much. I would seriously consider some kind of broadband. Today's computers are designed and meant to have an always on connection. That's why you'll notice most new laptops don't come with modems anymore. My parents are in to day trading, and they gave up on dial-up almost a decade ago. I can't even imagine trying to use a current system on dial-up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2011   #9
dahermit

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
Dial up connection,!!!!!!!!!!! and you complain at it being slow.

Live in the out in sticks (no cable, no close-by phone high speed). Retired (cannot afford satelite).
How does wise XXX remark help me with my problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2011   #10
dahermit

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Given the speed of your dial-up, it wouldn't take much. I would seriously consider some kind of broadband. Today's computers are designed and meant to have an always on connection. That's why you'll notice most new laptops don't come with modems anymore. My parents are in to day trading, and they gave up on dial-up almost a decade ago. I can't even imagine trying to use a current system on dial-up.
This helps me, how?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 background downloads




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
SSD and HDD downloads
hi installed ssd yesterday everything is absolutely fine. im trying to download some programs to my hard drive as.ssd is for OS and League of Legends... yet it is trying ti download everything onto the ssd and not giving me the option of where to Install it? How can I change that
Installation & Setup
desktop background return to previous background after changed it.
hello, i used windows home premium 64bit, when i change my desktop background, after few minutes, it'll return to the previous desktop background. can anyone help me?
Customization
FF 14.0.1 Downloads
Hi Folks, When I download using FF, this appears then closes when all downloads are completed. This is nearly how I want it to work. In recent versions, I was able to have the items downloaded cleared automatically, now it has to be done manually. Any ideas on how to do it ?
Browsers & Mail
Downloads FireFox only downloads partial files?!
The problem accured when I wanted to download some cool backgrounds from interfacelift, i would click the backgorund-->save image as... and choose desktop, it would only download 34kb of like 1mb of image (1080p-1920x1080) and is unable to view it in imageviewer too.... anybody know what would...
Performance & Maintenance
Downloads
I had Kapersky Pure installed on my laptop and it expired. Since it expired every time I try to download anything from any source it goes through the download but when I ask it to run the message comes up that a virus was detected and the download is deleted. I have removed the Kapersky...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App