Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to switch from RC version to purchased upgrade?


02 Jul 2009   #1

Windows 7 RC Build 7100
 
 
How to switch from RC version to purchased upgrade?

I had Vista installed, and ordered the Windows 7 upgrade. Meantime, I installed Windows 7 RC, which I got off the net. I also activated this copy. Now I need to know how to go from this RC version to my purchased version in October. Go back to Vista and then install the purchased upgrade? Or is there a way around that?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jul 2009   #2

 
 

I'm not sure there is a way around it with regards the upgrade, but there are ways to upgrade older builds with the final product.

I think you will need to re-install vista then 'Upgrade' from there but, if anyone know better then please correct me if i'm wrong
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sonyack View Post
I had Vista installed, and ordered the Windows 7 upgrade. Meantime, I installed Windows 7 RC, which I got off the net. I also activated this copy. Now I need to know how to go from this RC version to my purchased version in October. Go back to Vista and then install the purchased upgrade? Or is there a way around that?
I think there is!

Quote:
Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 7

For Windows 7 Milestones, Microsoft has revealed that:

- Windows 7 M3 to Windows 7 Beta in-place upgrade is supported;
- Windows 7 M3 to Windows 7 RC in-place upgrade is NOT supported;
- Windows 7 M3 to Windows 7 RTM in-place upgrade is NOT supported;
- Windows 7 Beta to Windows 7 RC in-place upgrade is supported;
- Windows 7 Beta to Windows 7 RTM in-place upgrade is NOT supported;
- Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 RTM in-place upgrade is supported.

At the same time, the company notes that, “Beta to RC paths are not supported.” and that, “RC to RTM paths are not supported.” For the jump between Windows 7 RTM editions, Microsoft has defined three paths: “RIU = Repair in-place upgrade is supported. This is a Microsoft Customer Service and Support scenario where the user performs a ‘Windows 7 SKU’ to ‘Windows 7 same SKU’ in-place upgrade as a means of repair (for example, upgrading Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. RIUx86 = Repair in-place upgrade is supported for x86 only. WAU = Windows Anytime Upgrade is supported. WAU uses the Transmogrifier platform to transform a lower Windows 7 SKU to a higher Windows 7 SKU (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows 7 Ultimate.)”

Hit the scales if I've helped!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Jul 2009   #4

Windows7
 
 

Some places say if you're doing a fresh install with upgrade media, it will simply ask you to insert your prior genuine disc at some point during the install.

It's also claimed that if you purchase the download version for your upgrade, you can simply burn it to disc and fresh install from that.

Given the final version isn't out yet, no one can yet confirm of course.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2009   #5

Windows 7 RC Build 7100
 
 

Thanks everyone. I also realize now that my downloaded version of 7 is Ultimate and I ordered Home Premium. So it would be a downgrade, I think, and that would not happen. Well, I think I can format the partition and insert the upgrade and it will ask for either the Vista disc or my Vista product key. I think. Maybe.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2009   #6

Win7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by poin2 View Post
Some places say if you're doing a fresh install with upgrade media, it will simply ask you to insert your prior genuine disc at some point during the install.

It's also claimed that if you purchase the download version for your upgrade, you can simply burn it to disc and fresh install from that.

Given the final version isn't out yet, no one can yet confirm of course.
I think poin2 has it correct.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate retail // Windows 7 build 7264 x64, Vista Home Premium SP2 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sonyack View Post
Thanks everyone. I also realize now that my downloaded version of 7 is Ultimate and I ordered Home Premium. So it would be a downgrade, I think, and that would not happen. Well, I think I can format the partition and insert the upgrade and it will ask for either the Vista disc or my Vista product key. I think. Maybe.....
It will do one of the two, either ask for the disk or key. In the past they have asked for the disk, but they *could* start asking for keys. Either way, I'd be ok with it. And hey, if they throw a curve ball at us and neither of those work, theres always the upgrade disk double install method.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

If you already have the RC or an RTM build installed, then I would think you already have half of the double install method completed and only need to either upgrade or clean install over the RC or RTM using upgrade media.

It's possible one might need to edit the cversions.ini (iirc) file to lower the minclient number before an upgrade install would work, but that's certainly no big deal.

Worst case, one can do the double install method, i.e., install upgrade without entering a key and then upgrade from within that OS using upgrade media.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to switch from RC version to purchased upgrade?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How to switch from RC version to purchased upgrade?
Thread Forum
Can you switch PCs with an upgrade version? General Discussion
Is there a way to switch my DirectX version? Software
Can I upgrade My RAM if I Switch to 7? Installation & Setup
Upgrade version vs clean install version Installation & Setup
Easy Upgrade Windows Vista Any Version to Any Version 7 Installation & Setup
Upgrade version vs regular version General Discussion
Switch computers with retail version Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33