Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Any HP dv6700 laptop users here? Vista to 7 Ultimate help.

25 Mar 2011   #1
DianaD 74

Windows 7 Ultimate -32 bit
 
 
Any HP dv6700 laptop users here? Vista to 7 Ultimate help.

Hi all.
My issue is with the caps/num/scroll lock lights. They don't light up.
all other lights work fine... you could land an a 747 on all the blue lights up on top of the keyboard

I'm running an HP dv6700 laptop (dv6885SE)
The pc was shipped with Vista 32 bit and by a stroke of luck all of the 32 bit VISTA drivers work flawlessly with windows 7 Ultimate from a clean install.

The only issue I have is that the caps/num & scroll lock lights on the sides of the keyboard do not light up at all.
They did light up with Vista Home Premium installed.

So.... I'm wondering if any other Seven Forums members have possibly had the same experience with a HP DV6700 model that I'm trying to solve with some success.

Thanks all!
Diana.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Mar 2011   #2
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I believe they do have windows 7 drivers available for the dv6700.

You should just go to hp's site and look up your model number.
While the vista drivers do work with windows 7 they are not ideal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2011   #3
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

When you say that all the Vista drivers work with Win7, you don't mean you changed them out from what the Win7 installer provided, do you? Because the Win7 installer is driver-complete, with newer arriving quickly via optional Windows Updates. Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware

You should not change out drivers unless performance dictates doing so.

Do you have any missing driver in Device Manager? These might be found on the Support Downloads webpage for your model HP. While there read through the patches which will be amongst the Drivers for Vista 32 and possibly Win7. You may find the fix for the lights which are missing if not the actual drivers that power these, which may be for the keyboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Mar 2011   #4
DianaD 74

Windows 7 Ultimate -32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
I believe they do have windows 7 drivers available for the dv6700.

You should just go to hp's site and look up your model number.
While the vista drivers do work with windows 7 they are not ideal.
Nope, no Win 7 drivers are avail from HP for the DV6885SE.
Thanks for your help.

Love your avatar by the way!
IE is not even an option on any of my machines.... about:blank just in case
Diana
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2011   #5
DianaD 74

Windows 7 Ultimate -32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
When you say that all the Vista drivers work with Win7, you don't mean you changed them out from what the Win7 installer provided, do you? Because the Win7 installer is driver-complete, with newer arriving quickly via optional Windows Updates. Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware

You should not change out drivers unless performance dictates doing so.

Do you have any missing driver in Device Manager? These might be found on the Support Downloads webpage for your model HP. While there read through the patches which will be amongst the Drivers for Vista 32 and possibly Win7. You may find the fix for the lights which are missing if not the actual drivers that power these, which may be for the keyboard.
I always take screen-shots of the device manager (expanded/hidden devices) before installing any OS so I have an idea of what is needed.

Win 7 caught all but 5 or 6 devices upon install.
Thats where the Vista Drivers from HP's site came in handy.

And, nope, nothing is missing in device manager, even in expanded view. This is why I'm puzzled
Thanks very much for the reply
Diana.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2011   #6
DianaD 74

Windows 7 Ultimate -32 bit
 
 

Is there nobody here besides me that has a HP DV6**** series that has switched from Vista to Win 7
Thanks.

Diana.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2011   #7
sandman

Window's 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

dv9720us her switch to Windows 7 Ultimate after upgrading the bios with a Vista install get one error every startup which looks bad but it is not had a BSOD since the change had to use the Vista 64 bit drivers for some of the hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2011   #8
DianaD 74

Windows 7 Ultimate -32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sandman View Post
dv9720us her switch to Windows 7 Ultimate after upgrading the bios with a Vista install get one error every startup which looks bad but it is not had a BSOD since the change had to use the Vista 64 bit drivers for some of the hardware.
Sorry to hear of your troubles Sandman.
I did not flash my dv6700 BIOS.(Messing with the BIOS makes me very nervous )

I did have problems with a test run of Win 7/ 64 bit and the 64 bit Vista drivers so I went with Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
The machine works fantastic except for the lack of the Caps lock, Num lock and Scroll lights.

I did set the caps lock key to beep in accessibility settings but I really miss the lights.

Has anybody else updated an HP DV6**** laptop from Vista to Win 7?

Thanks
Diana.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2011   #9
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

On the HP Support downloads webpage for your model under Vista 32 bit drivers there is as predicted a hotfix for your keyboard functions: HP Quick Launch Buttons HP Pavilion dv6885se Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I had mentioned this yesterday. When you didn't reply or ask further questions I assumed you'd checked, however since HP is usually pretty good about seeing that hotfixes are kept current for functions lost during clean reinstalls I thought I would check it for you and there it is.

There is another one from a year earlier which might work if this one doesn't. You might even find other hotfixes mixed amongst the drivers there for HP features you'd like to retain that aren't in the Win7 installer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Mar 2011   #10
DianaD 74

Windows 7 Ultimate -32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
On the HP Support downloads webpage for your model under Vista 32 bit drivers there is as predicted a hotfix for your keyboard functions: HP Quick Launch Buttons HP Pavilion dv6885se Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I had mentioned this yesterday. When you didn't reply or ask further questions I assumed you'd checked, however since HP is usually pretty good about seeing that hotfixes are kept current for functions lost during clean reinstalls I thought I would check it for you and there it is.

There is another one from a year earlier which might work if this one doesn't. You might even find other hotfixes mixed amongst the drivers there for HP features you'd like to retain that aren't in the Win7 installer.
I did reply Greg but I wasn't very clear.... sorry
The keyboard functions drivers are only for the volume, media, DVD player start (idiot buttons, if you know what I mean.) They all work fine.
There are no hot fixes that are newer than what I have installed.

Thanks again.
Diana.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Any HP dv6700 laptop users here? Vista to 7 Ultimate help.




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BlueScreen for HP dv6700 laptop
My HP dv6700 laptop getting crashed while playing videos and shows like this after restarting Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033 Additional information about the problem: BCCode: 116 BCP1: 85254510
BSOD Help and Support
Audio Driver for HP Pavilion dv6700 Laptop
I cannot get my audio driver to work. I have tried all of the drivers listed for my model and none of them have matched up. I have tried the vista drivers. I have tried several other solutions and have had no success. I have tried running the drivers in compatability mode with vista but no luck. If...
Drivers
How would I go get Hold'em from vista Ultimate and install it to windows 7 Ultimate
Is it possible to transfer the hold'em poker game files from windows vista ultimate to windows 7 ultimate ? If so how can I do that ? Can someone make a tutorial on that ?
Gaming
VISTA Ultimate to Windows 7 ultimate issues.. wit gamin
Ok, Its either gotta be that Windows have may changes in the O/S for gaming or there just could be something wrong with my computer... I DON"T GET IT. First of all, I had windows vista, CPU over clocked playing all my games with out a drama, (steam, cs, tf2, l4d, COD4) the games started without...
Gaming
Trouble upgrade from Vista Ultimate(32) - 7 Ultimate 32
I'm trying to upgrade a computer from Vista Ultimate (32 bit) to 7 Ultimate (32 bit) and I keep receiving this error message: "This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's...
Installation & Setup
German users: Want a free Vista Ultimate 64-bit?
On my bookshelf lies original, authenticated copy of German Vista Ultimate 64-bit DVD, of course with original key. Itīs been there since summer of 2008, I do not even remember why I bought it. Itīs useless for me, having Vista DVD`s in English and Finnish. First one to claim can get it free,...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Đ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App