Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Force shutdown

27 Mar 2011   #1

W7 Ult x64
 
 
Force shutdown

When I attempt to shut down the system while a program(s) is(are) running, I get a message and have to click "Force shutdown" button to complete the shut down process.

Is there a way to suppress or bypass this extra step?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Mar 2011   #2

Windows 7
 
 

I do not think there is a way round this, and it is quite normal if you have programs running in the backgaround.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

I found that the old XP registry shutdown tweaks still function (I use them on two my Windows 7 computers.)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
When I attempt to shut down the system while a program(s) is(are) running, I get a message and have to click "Force shutdown" button to complete the shut down process.

Is there a way to suppress or bypass this extra step?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Mar 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I do not think there is a way round this, and it is quite normal if you have programs running in the backgaround.
It really isn't normal. All programs should shut down when they receive the signal from the OS. If there is a program(s) that is not allowing the normal shutdown process, then something is wrong with that program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2011   #5

W7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newt' View Post
I found that the old XP registry shutdown tweaks still function (I use them on two my Windows 7 computers.)
I appreciate it if you would post that registry tweaks?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2011   #6

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

See;

Shut down Windows in an instant | Workers' Edge - CNET News

How to Force Windows 7 for a Faster Shutdown

The usual caveats about registry tweaking apply!

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2011   #7

W7 Ult x64
 
 

[QUOTE=MacGyvr;1313708]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
It really isn't normal. All programs should shut down when they receive the signal from the OS. If there is a program(s) that is not allowing the normal shutdown process, then something is wrong with that program.
It is just warning so that user can save any data if he/she forgets to do so. Even when user do nothing, it automatically shuts down after certain time lapses. The "Force shutdown" button is used if user do not need save any data, otherwise "Cancel" button is used and saving data is done.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2011   #8

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Fast Shutdown Faster Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 and Windows Vista My Digital Life

Notably: autoendtasks

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Newt' View Post
I found that the old XP registry shutdown tweaks still function (I use them on two my Windows 7 computers.)
I appreciate it if you would post that registry tweaks?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2011   #9

W7 Ult x64
 
 

Thanks everyone for helping me solve the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2011   #10

Windows Home Premium 64bit
 
 

And the magic solution was??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Force shutdown




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Force shutdown
Thread Forum
How to always force shutdown.... General Discussion
Solved STUCK on welcome after force shutdown General Discussion
Solved Windows force shutdown changed General Discussion
BSOD after force shutdown BSOD Help and Support
Force Shutdown General Discussion
Shutdown - Force (using the shut down button) General Discussion
windows 7 force shutdown BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33