Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Suddenly Win 7 says not authentic


31 Mar 2011   #1

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
Suddenly Win 7 says not authentic

I have a real dilemma here and am definitely in need of help. I bought Win 7 Ultimate for 2 installs over a year ago. I bought an Asus Laptop a year ago which came win the 7 Home and upgraded to Ultimate with no problems at all. 3 months ago I bought a Dell with 7 Home and upgraded it to Ultimate. Again no problems! About a week ago I started getting multiple error message on the Asus stating that my Windows 7 was NOT valid. Now today I am getting the same messages on the Dell. Not able to get help from Microsoft which keeps insisting that these operating systems are invalid. Two huge questions: IF this is actually the case why would it be such a very long time before getting these error messages, Also, what are the options now I am being told there are 30 days remaining before the OS on both systems locks up?!

Any ideas are most appreciated. I hope I am not stuck with buying on OS all over again. If so, what happens to Office 2007 when I have to reinstall it and all data after installing a new OS?

Thanks very much in advance for any help or insight on this.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Mar 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM --> RTM clean install
 
 

I guess the obvious question is did you get the 2*Ultimate keys from ebay? There are umpteen posts about people getting sold bogus or counterfeit or whatever on ebay. I think the general consensus of opinion is pay a little extra but go to a reputable source. (Or use the anytime upgrade feature to unlock right there and then)

Can you not live with the pre-installed Home versions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2011   #3

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

First where did you buy Win 7 Ultimate. Was it from a online store, a retail store?
Did a DVD come with the licenses? Was it a download? Did the box they came in have the MS logo on it?

It looks like you are going to have to buy legal copies. Did you buy Office 2007 from the same place? If so then that is probably counterfiet also. If not then you should have a proper license key for Office. Even if it's OEM it's OK to install it on the same hardware it came on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Mar 2011   #4

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MTHall720 View Post
I have a real dilemma here and am definitely in need of help. I bought Win 7 Ultimate for 2 installs over a year ago. I bought an Asus Laptop a year ago which came win the 7 Home and upgraded to Ultimate with no problems at all. 3 months ago I bought a Dell with 7 Home and upgraded it to Ultimate. Again no problems! About a week ago I started getting multiple error message on the Asus stating that my Windows 7 was NOT valid. Now today I am getting the same messages on the Dell. Not able to get help from Microsoft which keeps insisting that these operating systems are invalid. Two huge questions: IF this is actually the case why would it be such a very long time before getting these error messages, Also, what are the options now I am being told there are 30 days remaining before the OS on both systems locks up?!

Any ideas are most appreciated. I hope I am not stuck with buying on OS all over again. If so, what happens to Office 2007 when I have to reinstall it and all data after installing a new OS?

Thanks very much in advance for any help or insight on this.
If Microsoft says they're invalid, they are invalid, period. Ask the guy who sold you the license keys instead of coming to a forum asking for help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2011   #5

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

I bought these from a member of another forum over a year ago. I was told there were two installs. Yes they did have the MS Logo. Yes they did have VALID license keys. There was NO trouble registering these online on the MS website. So why is it that the operating system worked fine, NO problems for a year on the Asus and for the last several months on my Dell? I still have the keys and was thinking of trying to reinstall all over again, but that would be pointless wouldn't it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2011   #6

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by allend66 View Post
I guess the obvious question is did you get the 2*Ultimate keys from ebay? There are umpteen posts about people getting sold bogus or counterfeit or whatever on ebay. I think the general consensus of opinion is pay a little extra but go to a reputable source. (Or use the anytime upgrade feature to unlock right there and then)

Can you not live with the pre-installed Home versions?
I would be happy to but don't know how to access the version that came pre-loaded with both laptops I got from Best Buy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2011   #7

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

I would like to stay with this forum, but NOT if it looks like I am being judged and already assumed guilty of buying software that is not legal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2011   #8

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

The copies you bought were most likely Technet/MSDN Keys which are non-transferable. It other words, your license is invalid. There is nothing we can do at this point. As you did not buy them from a reputable retailer, you are SOL. Sorry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2011   #9

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
The copies you bought were most likely Technet/MSDN Keys which are non-transferable. It other words, your license is invalid. There is nothing we can do at this point. As you did not buy them from a reputable retailer, you are SOL. Sorry.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the software was from a good source though since it came with license keys and MS logo etc. It just aggravated me to have anyone imply that I got illegal copies on purpose.

Anyone have suggestions for good brick and mortar store sources?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2011   #10

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Bestbuy, Walmart...anything brand name.
Or buy directly from Microsoft: Microsoft Store Online - Welcome

There are also brick and mortar Microsoft Stores which I recommend to get your next PC.
They have what they call "Signature Edition" of Windows they put on those computers.
Paul Thurrott Talks about it on Windows Weekly:
Windows Weekly 194: Signature Edition
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Suddenly Win 7 says not authentic




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Suddenly Win 7 says not authentic
Thread Forum
My Build is not Authentic Windows Windows Updates & Activation
"This copy of Windows 7 is not authentic." But it is!! Windows Updates & Activation
Solved snd.val & scr.pos suddenly appear General Discussion
Not an authentic copy of Windows message just started showing up Windows Updates & Activation
Win 7 suddenly won't restart BSOD Help and Support
Suddenly Invalid??? Windows Updates & Activation
Mic suddenly gone really quite Sound & Audio

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33