Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Setting up home VPN, does an easy to follow set of instructions exist?


02 Apr 2011   #1

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 
Setting up home VPN, does an easy to follow set of instructions exist?

I have been paying for VPN service for a while now and I figured why not just send my traffic through my home because my router is never off. I have a router and I would like to know if it is pretty simple to set up a VPN connection to it when I am at airports or using other public wifi. Can you link me to a set of super easy to follow instructions?

FYI, I have a Netgear WNR1000 RangeMax™ 150 Wireless Router


(Please see Mike Connor's post, on page 2, for the answer. It did not end well )

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Apr 2011   #2

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

There are various ways of doing it. This is very popular and easy to use;

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #3

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 

i wish i could keep giving you rep man, you are helping so much
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Apr 2011   #4

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 

is the first method free?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #5

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #6

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoloDman View Post
is the first method free?
It was, but I just looked through it and they have changed a lot. It is far more complex, and no longer suitable for a home user in my opinion, so I deleted it.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #7

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoloDman View Post
is the first method free?
It was, but I just looked through it and they have changed a lot. It is far more complex, and no longer suitable for a home user in my opinion, so I deleted it.

Regards....Mike Connor
Hamachi looks like just what I need, question though. IS Hamachi something I can use if my pc is off but my router is always on? I would like to be able to send my traffic through my home computer when using public wifi
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64 Backtrack 4 R2
 
 

Hamachi actually runs on a host machine, thats what allows the client to VPN in. That machine has to be powered on for external users to connect to the network.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #9

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Clinkz View Post
Hamachi actually runs on a host machine, thats what allows the client to VPN in. That machine has to be powered on for external users to connect to the network.
i guess Hamachi is not for me then. ty
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2011   #10

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoloDman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoloDman View Post
is the first method free?
It was, but I just looked through it and they have changed a lot. It is far more complex, and no longer suitable for a home user in my opinion, so I deleted it.

Regards....Mike Connor
Hamachi looks like just what I need, question though. IS Hamachi something I can use if my pc is off but my router is always on? I would like to be able to send my traffic through my home computer when using public wifi
You need the server powered on. This is the same for any private VPN that you host yourself. Hamachi has it's own servers.

There are some routers available which will allow the router to act as a VPN server. If you want I can give you a few product names, but they are usually not cheap.

People who do this usually use an old PC as a server, You can also set up a "normal" web server on such a PC, doesn't have to be very powerful.

You don't need that for Hamachi.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Setting up home VPN, does an easy to follow set of instructions exist?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Setting up home VPN, does an easy to follow set of instructions exist?
Thread Forum
Easy to follow UEFI video General Discussion
2.1 speaker setting in win 7 home basic Software
Setting up a Home Network Network & Sharing
help me with setting up VPN to home network from anywhere Network & Sharing
Can I have some help setting up a home network? Network & Sharing
Looking for simple instructions for home network. Network & Sharing
Setting up a home network Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33