Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Advice

05 Apr 2011   #1
TheDarkSide10

Win 7 x64
 
 
Advice

I have a newish laptop with 4GB RAM and the i3 -470 M processor but integrated graphics (which despite one site telling me this is better than a Pentium Dual core E-5800 I think not at least on this aspect) I was looking at a desktop as they can run much higher speeds.

For the price range I found the Medion X11 which has the pentium dual core E-5800 which is 3.2GHz Vs 2.4 GHZ but unfortunately has no L3 cache Vs 3MB on my current processor. No stats on the FSB for the i3 available however diagnostic test told me it was 133MHZ vs 800MHZ although the multiplier was higher. As I like audio recording I was thinking that outright speed is more important than number of threads/cores and the only test site I could find listed the Pentium E-5800 as being 10 places higher so roughly comparable in performance.

As this desktop also is 64 Bit vista but has a 1GB dedicated graphics memory I was thinking that the processor and memory would be more free than in my current computer to process audio, Which of these processors performs more calculations per second, which is more suited for audio applications and would the graphics memory swing things decidely in favour of the desktop if the processors are in your opinion at more or less "dead heat".


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Apr 2011   #2
TheDarkSide10

Win 7 x64
 
 

Forgot to mention though that the Pentium has 2MB l2 cache vs 512 KB on the i3 core yet another twist, although i3 has more overall cache (3MB + 512KB)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #3
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Medion machines are OK for average users, although often with rather odd configurations, but if you want to tweak or modify things they can be a disaster, with restricted BIOS settings and no way to update, etc etc.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Apr 2011   #4
TheDarkSide10

Win 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Medion machines are OK for average users, although often with rather odd configurations, but if you want to tweak or modify things they can be a disaster, with restricted BIOS settings and no way to update, etc etc.

Regards....Mike Connor
Yes but this desktop processor in one test performed better than the i3, and the i3 I have relies on integrated graphics which is surely a negative? I would like to verify that this processor is better or equal to the i3-370M in terms of performance. Cant find any other comps with 4GB and fast processor or instead dedicated graphics.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #5
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

[QUOTE=TheDarkSide10;1330190]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Yes but this desktop processor in one test performed better than the i3, and the i3 I have relies on integrated graphics which is surely a negative? I would like to verify that this processor is better or equal to the i3-370M in terms of performance. Cant find any other comps with 4GB and fast processor or instead dedicated graphics.
For audio recording it doesn't make a lot of difference what processor you use. The software, ancillary equipment, and setup, are more important.

Integrated graphics are only "negative" if you want to do something that they can't manage. For the most part they are considered to be "positive". All depends what you want and why.

Integrated graphics, or a separate card, and the capabilities thereof, are completely irrelevant as far as audio recording is concerned.

Various test comparisons of processors are a bit pointless except when related to specific uses.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #6
TheDarkSide10

Win 7 x64
 
 

[QUOTE=Mike Connor;1330203]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheDarkSide10 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Yes but this desktop processor in one test performed better than the i3, and the i3 I have relies on integrated graphics which is surely a negative? I would like to verify that this processor is better or equal to the i3-370M in terms of performance. Cant find any other comps with 4GB and fast processor or instead dedicated graphics.
For audio recording it doesn't make a lot of difference what processor you use. The software, ancillary equipment, and setup, are more important.

Integrated graphics are only "negative" if you want to do something that they can't manage. For the most part they are considered to be "positive". All depends what you want and why.

Integrated graphics, or a separate card, and the capabilities thereof, are completely irrelevant as far as audio recording is concerned.

Various test comparisons of processors are a bit pointless except when related to specific uses.

Regards....Mike Connor
Soft Synths require a decent cpu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #7
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Software synthesizers have nothing to do with audio recording, except for the fact that they can be used with it in various ways.

Most will also run on even old PC's using Linux or similar.

Do you want help and advice, or do you just want to contradict what people tell you?

If you know exactly what you need and want, then just go and buy it.

Otherwise, if you outline what you want to do, then I can try and give you some recommendations, and doubtless others will too. But comparing various machines or CPU's according to various tests you read somewhere is not the best way to go about it.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #8
TheDarkSide10

Win 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Software synthesizers have nothing to do with audio recording, except for the fact that they can be used with it in various ways.

Most will also run on even old PC's using Linux or similar.

Do you want help and advice, or do you just want to contradict what people tell you?

If you know exactly what you need and want, then just go and buy it.

Otherwise, if you outline what you want to do, then I can try and give you some recommendations, and doubtless others will too. But comparing various machines or CPU's according to various tests you read somewhere is not the best way to go about it.

Regards....Mike Connor
One soft synth yes but not 10 or more. I am trying to ascertain if the higher speed is more important in this case than say the lower amount of l3 cache, you haven't said if you think the model I selected is better than an intel i3 2.4 GHZ 370 m processor in a sony vaio laptop with no dedicated graphics.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #9
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheDarkSide10 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Software synthesizers have nothing to do with audio recording, except for the fact that they can be used with it in various ways.

Most will also run on even old PC's using Linux or similar.

Do you want help and advice, or do you just want to contradict what people tell you?

If you know exactly what you need and want, then just go and buy it.

Otherwise, if you outline what you want to do, then I can try and give you some recommendations, and doubtless others will too. But comparing various machines or CPU's according to various tests you read somewhere is not the best way to go about it.

Regards....Mike Connor
One soft synth yes but not 10 or more. I am trying to ascertain if the higher speed is more important in this case than say the lower amount of l3 cache, you haven't said if you think the model I selected is better than an intel i3 2.4 GHZ 370 m processor in a sony vaio laptop with no dedicated graphics.
I can't say what model might be better for anything at all based solely on the processor specifications. It makes no sense to even try.

Most software developers will tell you the minimum requirements for using their software. If you exceed those requirements then that's fine, but it wont make any difference to the software. Some software might run faster on a faster processor, it depends on how it is programmed and what it actually does, you will be able to run more applications simultaneously with a powerful processor and the relevant RAM and other hardware.

One thing you will not be able to do, regardless of what you use, is make audio recording go faster, because you are recording a real time event, and it takes however long it takes. So whether you use a 150 netbook or a $50,000,000 mainframe makes no difference at all. The quality of the result is more dependent on the software and ancillary equipment than it is on the processing speed available.

If you keep introducing other variables into the mix, ten software synthesizers this time, then how am I or anyone else supposed to give you any sensible advice?

I am not a mind reader, or a magician. If you tell me what you want to do, then I will do my best to recommend something I think might be suitable. I am not prepared to engage in completely useless discussions on the merits of various hardware totally divorced from any practical application. Much less recommend any!

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2011   #10
DreemWarrior

Windows 7 ultimate X64
 
 

Well said Mike
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Advice




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
SSD Advice, Ect Ect ...
So im looking for an SSD. This is the one im looking at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-120GB-Basic-Solid-State/dp/B00E3W15P0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1408978091&sr=8-3&keywords=ssd
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
need advice on SSD
I'm getting a SSD sometime after the first of the year and was wanting anyones input on what the best SSD or ones preference for an SSD. I'm looking at a minimum of 256 GB but looking at the the 512 GB. What say you all?
Hardware & Devices
Looking for a new GPU... Any advice?
I've been building up a semi-decent gaming rig over a rather long period of time, so most people would probably want to suggest I throw it out and start from scratch. Honestly, I would love to do that, but it's just not possible with my budget right now... Other than the specs listed below my...
Graphic Cards
A bit of advice please
My computer is really not happy at the moment has taken a lot of stuffing about just to get it to a stage of sort of functioning was wanting to know if a repair install is a good thing or should I do a clean install. reason I'm asking is because os is severely corrupted one or the other has to be...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App