Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I accidentally changed all my rar File extensions..


07 Jul 2009   #1
john13134

windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
I accidentally changed all my rar File extensions..

can anyone tell me how do i get it back to Default
because i changed the default opening to i.e and now its not acting right
how to restore to default file extension?

thanks in Advance


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2009   #2
sisiphus

windows 7 build 7232 x64
 
 

system restore?!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2009   #3
garbanzo

7600 x86
 
 

system restore? are you kidding?

just right-click on a rar file, and choose 'open with'. there, you can reset the default app.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2009   #4
Uber Philf

W7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

hahaha, system restore., nup, not that serious, can also set it in default programs:
Start> Default Programs on the right.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2009   #5
Antman

 
What happens if I push this button <click>

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisiphus View Post
system restore?!
Probably won't work. Format and re-install.

Just kidding. Could not resist. The aforementioned rt clk open with will work just fine, as will the set program defaults. If you took it off of your Start Menu, find it in Control Panel. But right click Open with will do it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2009   #6
sisiphus

windows 7 build 7232 x64
 
 

man...sorry for trying to help...
I once had a problem with .exe files, they were accidentally associated with 7-zip, and the only way i got it done was with a restore...what“s so bad with restore? hā
Yeah..you try another forum (maybe this one will be different), but it“s all the same
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2009   #7
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisiphus View Post
man...sorry for trying to help...
I once had a problem with .exe files, they were accidentally associated with 7-zip, and the only way i got it done was with a restore...what“s so bad with restore?
My bad for making light of your suggestion. It is only "wrong" in the sense that you are suggesting the use of a chainsaw to trim fingernails. Sure, the nails are trim, but what else did you lose?

Doug Knox (MS MVP) maintains a list of reg files for correcting problems like this. You could have repaired your EXE issue with a simple reg file merge.

In this specific instance, the proposed solution should be sufficient. Even an uninstall/re-install of the preferred RAR app should correct the problem without undue loss of anything else.

Don't let a bit of schoolyard fun deter you from trying to help. It might be best to limit those efforts to an area of expertise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2009   #8
john13134

windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

hey everyone thanx for trying to help but
when i go to default programs my only options are internet explorer and Notepad
i dont think those are the defaults
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2009   #9
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by john13134 View Post
hey everyone thanx for trying to help but
when i go to default programs my only options are internet explorer and Notepad
i dont think those are the defaults
Yeah just choose "choose default program"-> "browse"-> locate the WinRAR folder (should be in Program Files (x86 for 64-bit)) and choose winrar.exe (? whatever the default exe to open winrar with...thats it)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2009   #10
sisiphus

windows 7 build 7232 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
system restore? are you kidding?

just right-click on a rar file, and choose 'open with'. there, you can reset the default app.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Uber Philf View Post
hahaha, system restore., nup, not that serious, can also set it in default programs:
Start> Default Programs on the right.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post

Don't let a bit of schoolyard fun deter you from trying to help. It might be best to limit those efforts to an area of expertise.
man, man ,tsts...since when associate a file type belongs to expertises area.
It was such a basic thing that i thought he was having bigger problems so i sugest him to restore to a previous point. I am new here but that doesn“t mean i am an average joe computer user.
Even with your atempt to apology your kind of presumptuous.
That“s the problem around this kind of foruns.
See you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I accidentally changed all my rar File extensions..




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App