Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem with Sleep?

08 Apr 2011   #1
alastor120

Windows 7 Home 32 bit
 
 
Problem with Sleep?

Hey everyone,
I happened to be streaming some media to my PS3 from my desktop when it decided to go to sleep. I knocked the mouse to wake it up before it had shut off (the display had turned off ten minutes before) and it wasn't happy.
The display did not turn back on for half an hour though the computer never fully went to sleep either. I eventually hard reset.
The computer turns on for about three seconds, powers off, then powers back on as if it was completing sleep mode and waking up. But no display ever appears.
Not sure what to do at this point, wondering if I have to manually remove the session data that was stored to HD somehow.
Any advice?
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Apr 2011   #2
alastor120

Windows 7 Home 32 bit
 
 

Well, doesnt look like a sleep problem after all, as I've disconnected all HDs and still no BIOS, no display at all.
Computer isnt turning off repeatedly, only once about 3 seconds after turning on, so its not overheating.
Could my video card have randomly died...?
Strange timing...
Any ideas anyone?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #3
Lebon14

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alastor120 View Post
Well, doesnt look like a sleep problem after all, as I've disconnected all HDs and still no BIOS, no display at all.
Computer isnt turning off repeatedly, only once about 3 seconds after turning on, so its not overheating.
Could my video card have randomly died...?
Strange timing...
Any ideas anyone?
Wait... you start it up and then it shuts down after 3 seconds?? Ugh... I have this issue with my C2D in storage atm... will be interressed in a solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Apr 2011   #4
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Do you get any beep codes from the motherboard?

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #5
alastor120

Windows 7 Home 32 bit
 
 

Nah, no beep codes, that would be too simple right?
Well, I stripped it down completely just to check. Barebones PSU and mobo only. Still turned on for three seconds, off, then on again. Obviously its not as the result of any expansion card or HD. There's no way that the processor is overheating and there are no beep codes, so I'm completely stumped.
Only other possibility is a bad PSU I guess, but its been working fine for three years...and why now?
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Premium
CPU: Core2Duo E6850 3.00GHz
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700w
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #6
Lebon14

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alastor120 View Post
Nah, no beep codes, that would be too simple right?
Well, I stripped it down completely just to check. Barebones PSU and mobo only. Still turned on for three seconds, off, then on again. Obviously its not as the result of any expansion card or HD. There's no way that the processor is overheating and there are no beep codes, so I'm completely stumped.
Only other possibility is a bad PSU I guess, but its been working fine for three years...and why now?
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Premium
CPU: Core2Duo E6850 3.00GHz
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700w
So me too, no beep codes (Phoenix BiOS; Gigabyte P35-DS3R). That's what I thought... the PSU is doing some bad short circuits himself; thus stopping when it happens. Except mine is an Antec 500W.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2011   #7
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alastor120 View Post
Nah, no beep codes, that would be too simple right?
Well, I stripped it down completely just to check. Barebones PSU and mobo only. Still turned on for three seconds, off, then on again. Obviously its not as the result of any expansion card or HD. There's no way that the processor is overheating and there are no beep codes, so I'm completely stumped.
Only other possibility is a bad PSU I guess, but its been working fine for three years...and why now?
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Premium
CPU: Core2Duo E6850 3.00GHz
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700w
In that case either the motherboard or the power supply has a fault. It does happen. Sometimes a failing power supply can also kill a motherboard, Depends on how and why it failed. If you are lucky it is only the power supply. Seems most likely.

Easiest way to check is to try a new power supply.

Obviously you never get to the POST ( Power On Self Test) so you don't get any beep codes.

Do let us know how you get on. I am off to bed now, I am really too tired to do any useful work.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2011   #8
wysiwyg

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Check CPU temperature, I had similar problem some time ago, upgraded Cooler.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #9
alastor120

Windows 7 Home 32 bit
 
 

Finally got new PSU in. Did nothing to solve the problem. Only thing left could be a mobo short (unlikely since its less than a month old and I haven't had any problems with it yet) or CPU overheating/not seated correctly. This doesnt seem to make sense either since I havent had any trouble with that either...
Doesn't make sense at all...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2011   #10
neo101

WIN7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lebon14 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alastor120 View Post
Well, doesnt look like a sleep problem after all, as I've disconnected all HDs and still no BIOS, no display at all.
Computer isnt turning off repeatedly, only once about 3 seconds after turning on, so its not overheating.
Could my video card have randomly died...?
Strange timing...
Any ideas anyone?
Wait... you start it up and then it shuts down after 3 seconds?? Ugh... I have this issue with my C2D in storage atm... will be interressed in a solution.
err - just pull the electrics/plug from wall socket for two minutes. (no electric connection) pull battery on a laptop!

If it still won't start - pull all usb etc leads out then just plug mouse/keyboard in and you should be good to go!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem with Sleep?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Odd Sleep Problem
Well, of course this problem is odd: After all, it happens to me.... I've had sleep problems in the past, which have usually been due to an unsolved failure of Home Group to find an existing printer. Based on that, starting last Saturday, I pursued that when my computer would not go to sleep . ...
Performance & Maintenance
Sleep Problem
Hi Brink, Hope I am not hijacking thread. This problem just started. Followed your link for "last wake."
Performance & Maintenance
Sleep problem
I had no trouble putting the computer to sleep until yesterday. It would go to sleep, but 30 seconds later would wake on its own ( mouse shut down) I did a rollback to 2 days ago when the problem did not exist - same problem. I checked all my settings as well as Device Mgr - Network adapter (...
Hardware & Devices
Sleep problem
My computer (hp pavilion dv3) will sleep the first time after a fresh boot and wake up fine (windows 7 ultimate) but after the first sleep, if I try to put it to sleep again it doesnt completely sleep, the screen goes black and it hangs, does anyone know why this occurs?
Performance & Maintenance
sleep problem
hi (sorry 4 bad english) i use RTM. i "sleep" my PC and when i turn it on , monitor does not turn on and stay off and i have to reset my system to fix it. but i dont have any problme with RC ! please help me.
General Discussion
Sleep problem; Goes into deeper sleep w/shortcut
I have a notebook connected to a monitor with external mouse/keyboard. When I put the notebook to sleep via the Start menu or the keyboard, it is able to wake out of it by moving the mouse around or pressing a key. However, when I create a shortcut to it for Windows Task Scheduler to enter...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App