Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problems Wih Icons Displaying

17 Apr 2011   #1
Bro

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64
 
 
Problems Wih Icons Displaying

Earlier today, after installing Win7 SP1 and other updates, I began having problems displaying certain icons all of a sudden. This wasn't immediate; it happened after a couple of restarts. I'm not sure what could be the problem. It isn't affecting performance, or the functionality of the programs, but this isn't something I like happening to the display of my OS.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone provides. :)




Attached Thumbnails
-untitled.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Apr 2011   #2
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Try rebuilding your icon cache.

Instructions for how to rebuild your icon cache.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2011   #3
Bro

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Try rebuilding your icon cache.

Instructions for how to rebuild your icon cache.
I was actually doing some browsing around before your reply and had found that very same thread. I just came back from a restart after running the .bat file, but to no avail. There's still no appropriate icons displaying. Might there be another fix for this?

Thank you for the helpful link nonetheless!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Apr 2011   #4
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Two things to try. The 1st, ridiculously simple, but if it works, brilliant.

Boot into safe mode, then reboot normally. That's it.

The second, create a new user and see if the icons work there. If so, transfer to the new user account, and delete the old.

You could also change the icons manually, and if they stick, that is a simple, but time consuming fix. If nothing works, a Repair Install should fix it.

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2011   #5
Bro

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Two things to try. The 1st, ridiculously simple, but if it works, brilliant.

Boot into safe mode, then reboot normally. That's it.

The second, create a new user and see if the icons work there. If so, transfer to the new user account, and delete the old.

You could also change the icons manually, and if they stick, that is a simple, but time consuming fix. If nothing works, a Repair Install should fix it.

A Guy
Didn't get to try that before I did two system restores, which managed to do the trick. I'll keep it in mind if it ever occurs again, though. Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Apr 2011   #6
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Two things to try. The 1st, ridiculously simple, but if it works, brilliant.

Boot into safe mode, then reboot normally. That's it.

The second, create a new user and see if the icons work there. If so, transfer to the new user account, and delete the old.

You could also change the icons manually, and if they stick, that is a simple, but time consuming fix. If nothing works, a Repair Install should fix it.

A Guy
Didn't get to try that before I did two system restores, which managed to do the trick. I'll keep it in mind if it ever occurs again, though. Thanks!
Your method was just as good, usually just lose some updates which you can get again. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problems Wih Icons Displaying




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Quickset Icons Not Displaying
Hi, Recently the little quickset pop-up icons that appear in the bottom-right corner of the screen whenever I press a key like Caps Lock, Num Lock, F2 etc have stopped displaying. The icons that usually appear in the taskbar tray have stopped appearing too. I don't know why this has happened...
General Discussion
Preview Icons Not Displaying, Sometimes No Icons Display in Explorer
After progressively getting worse, Windows Explorer now displays as seen in the screen shot (no icons are displaying). At first I thought it was taking time to build the icons, but it never does. the loading bar stays loading at 90%. The first few times it happened, I thought I was in a folder with...
Performance & Maintenance
exe icons not displaying properly
Only if an exe file is selected. Rebuilding the icon cache didnt help. All other extension icons display fine. Is there a way to fix that? http://www.shrani.si/f/2f/ik/35DX2OQT/11.jpg
General Discussion
Some Desktop Icons not displaying fullsized
As you'll see in the attachment i uploaded. Some icons such as "grooveshark" "albumplayer" etc, dont display a full sized icon like firefox does. I've tried making icons a blowing them up to 256x256 but no luck. How do i get nice big icons like firefox? Thanks
Customization
Icons not displaying/Revcon.exe
So this is the problem that I am having. I am trying to fix a friends HP Laptop. It has Windows 7 Starter on it. The problem that it has is first of all is none of the general-looking type icons display either on the desktop or on the start menu. The only type of icon that appears for whatever...
General Discussion
Icons Not Displaying Properly
To All, I am running Windows 7 64 Home Premium and I recently installed a program called Glary Utilities. I created a shortcut and pinned it to the task bar and all was fine. The next time I rebooted, the icon in the task bar had changed to a blank looking page (a little awkward to...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App