Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 logon annoyance requires me to click 'Switch User'


23 Apr 2011   #1

Widows 7 64-Bit
 
 
Windows 7 logon annoyance requires me to click 'Switch User'

Hello,

For about a month now, I have had this Widows 7 logon annoyance: Sometimes this annoying glitch occurs which won't allow me to login to my account even though I have entered the password correctly; I have to click the Switch User button and then the 'logged in' account. My laptop is set to stay on when I close the lid; I normally ctrl-alt-del and close the lid. A solution would be most appreciated.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Apr 2011   #2

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kallist0 View Post
Hello,

For about a month now, I have had this Widows 7 logon annoyance: Sometimes this annoying glitch occurs which won't allow me to login to my account even though I have entered the password correctly; I have to click the Switch User button and then the 'logged in' account. My laptop is set to stay on when I close the lid; I normally ctrl-alt-del and close the lid. A solution would be most appreciated.
Why are you Ctrl+Alt+Del before you close the lid? Why not just shut the system down when you know you are not going to use it for a period of time?
Why not set it to go into hibernate at the lid closing? Which I never do, I'm a shut down type of person or just leave it running.
Is there only one user account on your notebook? And is it a Admin account or do you have 2 accounts, one Admin and the other a standard user?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate N 64-bit
 
 

have u tried getting it to auto login every time....

start>run>control userpasswords2>click your username>untick top box>click ok

also check power settings to 'require password on wakeup'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Apr 2011   #4

Widows 7 64-Bit
 
 

Quote:
have u tried getting it to auto login every time....

start>run>control userpasswords2>click your username>untick top box>click ok

also check power settings to 'require password on wake-up'
I don't want to auto login to my computer. My computer isn't going into sleep or hibernation, by choice. My notebook is in 'always on' mode when plugged in; it never powers down, goes to sleep, or hibernates; Nothing happens when I close my laptop, whether or not I was logged in or out at the time, again by choice.

My problem is that for a about a month now, when I log back into my notebook, after ctrl-alt-del and selecting 'lock this computer', I sometimes can't log back into my notebook from the 'locked' screen; I have to click the 'Switch User', select the 'logged in' account and then enter my password.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2011   #5

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kallist0 View Post
I don't want to auto login to my computer. My computer isn't going into sleep or hibernation, by choice. My notebook is in 'always on' mode when plugged in; it never powers down, goes to sleep, or hibernates; Nothing happens when I close my laptop, whether or not I was logged in or out at the time, again by choice.

My problem is that for a about a month now, when I log back into my notebook, after ctrl-alt-del and selecting 'lock this computer', I sometimes can't log back into my notebook from the 'locked' screen; I have to click the 'Switch User', select the 'logged in' account and then enter my password.
Well then at some point there seems to be another user logged on. that is why it's not accepting your password and you have to select Switch User.

Have you run a malware scan recently? Do you have any type of backup that is set to run after a period of inactivity. that could be logged in as the backup operator.
Just poking at straws.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 logon annoyance requires me to click 'Switch User'




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 logon annoyance requires me to click 'Switch User'
Thread Forum
Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen General Discussion
how to disable the switch user screen in windows 7 General Discussion
Can't switch users from logon screen or windows start menu General Discussion
Trying to make logon screen with guest account and switch user button Customization
Switch User button on logon screen General Discussion
Slipstream windows 7 - switch user issue General Discussion
On lock, password fails, must click switch user and ok General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33