Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Open With


26 Apr 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 
Open With

hi,
I have several types of ISO. Some are software CD's, some are movies (which i open with VLC Media Player).

I hate it that I have to "right click, open with, (vlc not listed!), select program, browse, program files, videolan, bla bla bla..." every time.

Is there some kind of app that if you double click on the file (so regular open with the standard program) wich is the standard program and let's you choose right away?
Like the screen attached.

So the standard program for a .iso file is set to "File Opener"
I double click the file.
The File Opener program appears
And I select the program for this time. Next time it's another program.

I hope I'm Clear....




Attached Thumbnails
Open With-open-.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Apr 2011   #2

Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit/Window 7 VM
 
 

there should be a small checkbox near the bottom when you do "open with" to "always use this program to open this file type".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

well that's the thing.
every time it's another program. either VLC or Winrar
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Apr 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Hi Martin

Have a look at this little app.It may be able too organize your open with options how you want them.The Portable Freeware Collection - OpenWithView

Danny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2011   #5

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xxxdannyxxx View Post
Hi Martin

Have a look at this little app.It may be able too organize your open with options how you want them.The Portable Freeware Collection - OpenWithView

Danny
Good suggestion, but I'm wondering if this app will work in Windows 7. Under System Requirements, the website lists XP, Vista, and Windows 7, but then it doesn't list Windows 7 here: "This utility works under Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server, and Windows Vista."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xxxdannyxxx View Post
Hi Martin

Have a look at this little app.It may be able too organize your open with options how you want them.The Portable Freeware Collection - OpenWithView

Danny
Good suggestion, but I'm wondering if this app will work in Windows 7. Under System Requirements, the website lists XP, Vista, and Windows 7, but then it doesn't list Windows 7 here: "This utility works under Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server, and Windows Vista."
Yes it works fine under windows 7, Ive used it many times.

Danny


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Martin Dendev View Post
hi,
I have several types of ISO. Some are software CD's, some are movies (which i open with VLC Media Player).

I hate it that I have to "right click, open with, (vlc not listed!), select program, browse, program files, videolan, bla bla bla..." every time.

Is there some kind of app that if you double click on the file (so regular open with the standard program) wich is the standard program and let's you choose right away?
Like the screen attached.

So the standard program for a .iso file is set to "File Opener"
I double click the file.
The File Opener program appears
And I select the program for this time. Next time it's another program.

I hope I'm Clear....
You might want to try using Alcohol 52 Free Edition, which allows you to mount your ISO files to a virtual CD/DVD drive. From there, Autoplay will take care of the rest. Data ISOs will open in Explorer, and DVD ISOs will play in your default player.

Nothing could be simpler.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Hi,
I'll just go with open with, or dragging it onto my desktop.
Thx for your help
Please close this thread.
Martin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

simple!!! just go to start>Default Programs>Set Default Programs and then select your app and make it default.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

@suman6792
not really, i want to choose every time between winrar and vlc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Open With




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33