Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: help required for Partitioning


27 Apr 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
help required for Partitioning

Hi,
my hard-disk has 4 basic volumns, C (primary), d (recovery) and E.
i want the primary volumn C (142 GB) to split into two volumns(about 70 GB each).
but when i try to shrink C in disk management it says it can shrink into 141.8GB and 0.2 GB. is there any way that i can split the C volumn into two halves? i dont want C volumn of size more than 70 GB.

thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Apr 2011   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Post a full picture of your Disk Management. Chances are that you have 4 primary partitions where you cannot create an additional partition without some extra action. But the picture will tell us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

It's not recommended to play partition chef when you have more than one partition already set up. The BEST way to do it is with a blank, un-partitioned disk using any variety of tools like PartedMagic (www.partedmagic.com) for example. If you REALLY can't do it that way, defragment your drive and try again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Apr 2011   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnathan Lyman View Post
It's not recommended to play partition chef when you have more than one partition already set up. The BEST way to do it is with a blank, un-partitioned disk using any variety of tools like PartedMagic (www.partedmagic.com) for example. If you REALLY can't do it that way, defragment your drive and try again.
It is not a good idea to do anything before we do not know how the disk looks - especially not with OEM programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

here is the screen shot of disk management


Attached Thumbnails
help required for Partitioning-disk.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You are OK, only 3 primaries and one extended (logical). You are not not able to shrink as much as you want because the MFT is in the way. There are ways to get past the MFT, but that is tricky and will require that you first make an image of C - in case you loose it or it gets damaged. Do you know how to make an image?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

You have about 120gb of data on C.

Good luck shrinking it to 70gb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2011   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
You have about 120gb of data on C.

Good luck shrinking it to 70gb
This is a good one. I did not even notice that. Thanks SIW.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
You have about 120gb of data on C.

Good luck shrinking it to 70gb
This is a good one. I did not even notice that. Thanks SIW.
Like I said, creating partitions is best done when the drive is empty
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2011   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
You are OK, only 3 primaries and one extended (logical). You are not not able to shrink as much as you want because the MFT is in the way. There are ways to get past the MFT, but that is tricky and will require that you first make an image of C - in case you loose it or it gets damaged. Do you know how to make an image?
i can make back'up on my other computer, but u said damaged what could get damaged data or the volumn it self???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 help required for Partitioning




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: help required for Partitioning
Thread Forum
Partitioning a HDD General Discussion
Could really use Some HDD Partitioning help. Hardware & Devices
About Partitioning again General Discussion
Partitioning HELP PLEASE Performance & Maintenance
Help required for partitioning. Installation & Setup
Help with partitioning. Hardware & Devices
Partitioning General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33