Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Compressing directories - security issue


12 Jul 2009   #1

windows 7 rc1
 
 
Compressing directories - security issue

When compressing directories in RC1 (actually I had seen this same behavior sometimes in Vista) with some directories it works, with others I get a message saying I will need to provide administrator credentials (my account is the administrator account!) and I should click to continue, but when i do so it does not ask me for any account info and the compress process fails. This is obviously not a showstopping issue, but since I saw it also with vista I figure it is probably a known problem.... any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jul 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by abuhannibal View Post
When compressing directories in RC1 (actually I had seen this same behavior sometimes in Vista) with some directories it works, with others I get a message saying I will need to provide administrator credentials (my account is the administrator account!) and I should click to continue, but when i do so it does not ask me for any account info and the compress process fails. This is obviously not a showstopping issue, but since I saw it also with vista I figure it is probably a known problem.... any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob
It sounds to me like you're getting the standard UAC prompt to "Continue or Cancel". Chances are, if you password protected your current account, create a limited user account, and then tried this operation from within the limited user account, the UAC prompt will include a password entry box.

Other than that, "Continue or Cancel" on an Administrator account is normal behaviour in most cases, such as performing an operation that could be disastrous to the system stability, or attampting to access or modify a locked or in use file...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2009   #3

windows 7 rc1
 
 

Thanks for the quick reply - the problem is that when I do this with an administrator account and click "continue", it doesn't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Jul 2009   #4

XP SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by abuhannibal View Post
Thanks for the quick reply - the problem is that when I do this with an administrator account and click "continue", it doesn't.

because you ARE the admin.. 7 and vista assumed you know what you are doing when u are the admin account..
you received a UAC prompt it will only prompt for the password of an admin
if yu don't have rights to the files or it you ARNT logged into the admin account

i don't see any security issues.. because if you didn't start a proses you would likely know it.. and select stop on the UAC prompt..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2009   #5

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by abuhannibal View Post
When compressing directories in RC1 with some directories it works, with others I get a message saying I will need to provide administrator credentials and I should click to continue, but when i do so it does not ask me for any account info and the compress process fails. This is obviously not a showstopping issue, but since I saw it also with vista I figure it is probably a known problem.... any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob
Its not a security issue, It doesn't prompt for your credentials because you are already an admin, your being prompted for administrative access because the files your compressing must either have no access or limited access by the "users" group thus the prompt.

Since it fails immediately after granting access then I suggest resetting the file/folder security first

Steven
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2009   #6

windows 7 rc1
 
 

Thanks to both of you, good idea.

As I said, it's not a big deal, if anything it just stuck out at me because in general I am finding RC1`to be very stable and bug-free so far.

-- Bob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2009   #7

XP SP3
 
 

happy to help u are quite welcome
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2009   #8

windows 7 rc1
 
 

Guys,

No joy, it would not let me change security on the directory and gave the same error when i created a separate administrator account... just says administrator credentials have to be supplied but doesn't let me do so, and then fails to change security...

As I said, this is not a critical problem...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by abuhannibal View Post
Guys,

No joy, it would not let me change security on the directory and gave the same error when i created a separate administrator account... just says administrator credentials have to be supplied but doesn't let me do so, and then fails to change security...

As I said, this is not a critical problem...
You failed to mention earlier, and perhaps we should have asked, but which files or folders are you trying to compress?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2009   #10

windows 7 rc1
 
 

Various, but including some in program files and program data... could this be why they won't compress? I do make sure no apps have the files open.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Compressing directories - security issue




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Compressing directories - security issue
Thread Forum
Compressing wav files Music, Pictures & Video
Compressing Stuffs General Discussion
Solved thecus nas issue not seeing all directories Network & Sharing
help with compressing files Software
help with compressing files Software
Help With Compressing Using WINRAR Software
[WS4]Adding an directories group to default directories Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33