Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Taskbar disappears

14 Dec 2009   #61
Timelord

W7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Oh so I am wrong now huh?

Well the real issues is that something changed in MS' coding in the taskbar that is not causing a glitch with the coding of the screensaver. It really is not either parties fault, but the fault is still there. The best idea is to either not use that screensaver, or go back to XP/ Vista.

You might try disabling different things in the taskbar to find the specific area. Try turning off aero too.

~Lordbob
I take it you've not experienced the issue referred to in this thread?

I find it amazing that all these screensavers, some as popular as Fliqlo, have been running on 95, 98, me/2000, XP, Vista (which also had aero) and any other iteration one cares to mention!... and they worked fine. The taskbar didn't go invisible on us.

Now, we've got W7 - and yes it's had a beta, but the chances are - this issue has been missed, and frankly, whilst W7 is a great o/s - and I don't want to bash it, but genuinely believe there's an issue here that requires redress from MS.

We're not talking applications as such here - aren't .scr and associated files more straightforward? If they followed convention and worked perfectly fine before, and now numerous people are having issues now with this taskbar deciding not to come back - then I think we have issues with W7 - more specifically, resiliency issues as I've said before - it shouldn't be as simple as coming back from a screensaver to have no taskbar!

I'll defend MS when required but on this occasion I have to stick my guns. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees.

ps. half of these screensavers may never see development again anyway - so hopefully MS do something, or we're left with a whole bunch that are potentially useless.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Dec 2009   #62
Starnamer

 

Sorry guys, I think the fault is definitely with the screensaver writers. The fact that some screensavers work correctly shows that there is a correct way to do things and some screensaver applications haven't followed the rules (.SCR files are basically .EXE files with a difference extension).

To show what's most likely happening, create a simple 2-button form (C#) and change the code to following.
Code:
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Text;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices; // added
 
namespace HideTaskbar
{
 publicpartialclassForm1 : Form
 {
   [DllImport("user32.dll")]
   private static extern int FindWindow(string className, string windowText);
   [DllImport("user32.dll")]
   private static extern int ShowWindow(int hwnd, int command);
 
   private const int SW_HIDE = 0;
   private const int SW_SHOW = 1;
 
   protected static int Handle
   {
     get
     {
        return FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", "");
     }
   }
 
   public Form1()
   {
     InitializeComponent();
   }
 
   private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
   {
     ShowWindow(Handle, SW_HIDE);
   }
 
   private void button2_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
   {
     ShowWindow(Handle, SW_SHOW);
   }
 }
}
You now have an application which hides the taskbar when you click button1 and shows it when you click button2.

If you run this and exit while the taskbar is hidden, it stays hidden. Obviously, any screensaver which hides the taskbar and then exits without showing it again is going to exhibit this problem.

Presumably, previous versions of Windows contained extra code which had the effect of unhiding the taskbar when a screensaver exited, but it's not unreasonable that Windows 7 should leave it hidden; this is more efficient for programs that may wish to hide the taskbar for extended periods, since they no longer have to remain resident. The error is in the screensaver which doesn't tidy up after itself on exit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #63
ricoman

Win 7 pro x64
 
 

[/QUOTE]Timelord ...I think I have to disagree with your reasoning. This is a third party application, and it's up to the (code)author to make it compatible with the version of Windows 7 you're using.[/QUOTE]

Might I point out that the screensavers were existing before 7 came out and worked fine with the existing OS's of the time. You would have to be a mind reader to "fix" something for a problem that doesn't yet exist. However, MS clearly has the ability to make 7 compatible with the existing screensavers because all their previous OS's had no problem.
Starnamer and LordBob:
If previous versions of the OS had that one lousy line that unhid the taskbar, why wouldn't they include it in 7 and be done with all this nonsense and complaints. We are paying customers and 7 ain't cheap, how about a little customer service. Some of us have custom screensavers with picture that we took ourselves of family, pets and place we visited and they worked fine previously.
As for the suggestion to go back to XP or Vista if we don't like it, that's just plain stupid. That's like having a problem with the horn on a new car you bought and instead of the dealer fixing it, he says "maybe you should go back to your old '96 Corolla." How about just fixing the apparently minor problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Dec 2009   #64
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

For the last time,
This is a fault within the screensaver code.

I will not say anymore, and if you choose to persist, that's your choice. Good luck fixing your problem.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #65
Timelord

W7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
For the last time,
This is a fault within the screensaver code.

I will not say anymore, and if you choose to persist, that's your choice. Good luck fixing your problem.

~Lordbob
Hmm.. well, Starnamers proof of concept seems to show that the screen saver might not explicitly show the taskbar on exit ...

And, I guess, technically, we could say that the screensaver is ultimately at fault - but it's not as clear cut as that since;

These screensavers worked with previous generations of MS O/S agree? So if the developers tested and released the software up to Vista say, and everything worked fine - then you could assume that they were happy with the way it ran. They may have known that ideally they should have forced the taskbar back, but as it was working without that, they didn't etc.

Essentially though, Microsoft shouldn't change the rules or make things stringent all of a sudden! and cause previously working software to cause malfunction!

I mean, that's one way to look at it.

Or on the other hand, maybe MS are just straightening up Windows to run how it always SHOULD have - hence the odd issue in terms of compatibility.

Either way, I guess there is no resolution to the issue and it just be something we have to accept.

Cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #66
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #67
wwpauljd

Windows 7
 
 

right click and see the pransparency level.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #68
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Not sure if it helps anyone, probably not, but as someone who never used third-party screensavers I can see how whoever is responsible for backwards compatibility might not see this as an important issue. After all, essential pieces of software, most notably drivers, had to be re-written to work in 7, lots of applications also have new, 7-compatible versions by now. So it's up to the screensaver developers to fix their wares.

If I had this problem, I would simply switch the screensaver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #69
LLsouthside

Win 7
 
 

Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75
For the last time,
This is a fault within the screensaver code.

I will not say anymore, and if you choose to persist, that's your choice. Good luck fixing your problem.

~Lordbob Quote:


Good advise my friend.... Huhmmm not...

To every one else who believes that the task bar issue is generated with a third party screensaver...
Why do i have i the problem twice without any screensaver installed..
i've done 2 complete clean install's... Wm 7 ultimate retail version..
even before i could add a SS it was gone..
I had to sign out.... and it was back again...
i haven't read your forum yet so i didn't had any your solutions...
Still i think the migthy MS group can't afford them self to have overseen this...
it's nearly the same driver crap we had with vista...

Respect for RICOMAN yeah he's spot on in his last comment..!

Quote:

Might I point out that the screensavers were existing before 7 came out and worked fine with the existing OS's of the time. You would have to be a mind reader to "fix" something for a problem that doesn't yet exist. However, MS clearly has the ability to make 7 compatible with the existing screensavers because all their previous OS's had no problem.
Starnamer and LordBob:
If previous versions of the OS had that one lousy line that unhid the taskbar, why wouldn't they include it in 7 and be done with all this nonsense and complaints. We are paying customers and 7 ain't cheap, how about a little customer service. Some of us have custom screensavers with picture that we took ourselves of family, pets and place we visited and they worked fine previously.
As for the suggestion to go back to XP or Vista if we don't like it, that's just plain stupid. That's like having a problem with the horn on a new car you bought and instead of the dealer fixing it, he says "maybe you should go back to your old '96 Corolla." How about just fixing the apparently minor problem Quote:

Come microsoft patch it up...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #70
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LLsouthside View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75
For the last time,
This is a fault within the screensaver code.

I will not say anymore, and if you choose to persist, that's your choice. Good luck fixing your problem.

~Lordbob Quote:


Good advise my friend.... Huhmmm not...

To every one else who believes that the task bar issue is generated with a third party screensaver...
Why do i have i the problem twice without any screensaver installed..
i've done 2 complete clean install's... Wm 7 ultimate retail version..
even before i could add a SS it was gone..
I had to sign out.... and it was back again...
i haven't read your forum yet so i didn't had any your solutions...
Still i think the migthy MS group can't afford them self to have overseen this...
it's nearly the same driver crap we had with vista...

Respect for RICOMAN yeah he's spot on in his last comment..!

Quote:

Might I point out that the screensavers were existing before 7 came out and worked fine with the existing OS's of the time. You would have to be a mind reader to "fix" something for a problem that doesn't yet exist. However, MS clearly has the ability to make 7 compatible with the existing screensavers because all their previous OS's had no problem.
Starnamer and LordBob:
If previous versions of the OS had that one lousy line that unhid the taskbar, why wouldn't they include it in 7 and be done with all this nonsense and complaints. We are paying customers and 7 ain't cheap, how about a little customer service. Some of us have custom screensavers with picture that we took ourselves of family, pets and place we visited and they worked fine previously.
As for the suggestion to go back to XP or Vista if we don't like it, that's just plain stupid. That's like having a problem with the horn on a new car you bought and instead of the dealer fixing it, he says "maybe you should go back to your old '96 Corolla." How about just fixing the apparently minor problem Quote:

Come microsoft patch it up...
This is an issue with the thid-party screensavers and not the OS...simple as that...

Microsoft makes the OS so therefore it is their OS...if they change something than developers have to adjust or move their software to a new platform...

Take this argument up with the screensaver maker...not Microsoft.

How hard is this to understand...

PS Prove that the default screensavers for 7 are causing the problem also
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Taskbar disappears




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Taskbar disappears whenever I maximize any program
My taskbar disappears whenever I maximize any program. In other words, whenever I maximize any program, such as Outlook or Internet Explorer, for example, either the bottom of the window is covering the taskbar, or the taskbar is disappearing ... in any case, the taskbar becomes no longer visible....
General Discussion
Taskbar disappears
On my laptop, the task bar is at the bottom when my desktop is present. When I open my browser (Firefox), the task bar disappears and I can't get it to reappear. I right clicked on the task bar and made sure that the "lock tasbar" was checked. Any suggestions?
General Discussion
Taskbar disappears
I am running Win 7 home premium on both my laptop and my desktop. The laptop has a unique problem. When I boot up, the task bar is not visible. I can move my mouse pointer down to the bottom of the screen and it appears and stays that way until I reboot. I have right clicked on the task bar and...
General Discussion
Taskbar Disappears and Reappears- odd behaviour
I wasn't sure which sub forum to put this on so I put this here yes the taskbar for my Win 7 Home Premium seems to like to disappear and reappear a few seconds later, its been doing that a lot today and whats more, Mozilla seems to just stop responding every now and then as well, although it...
General Discussion
Strange icon disappears from taskbar
I wonder, if someone know, what means this icon? http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3110/strangeicon.png This appears rarely, maybe after three days. I got it on my taskbar, corner and I can't get no tittle about, I just move cursor on it and that gones. Is this a virus? I tried to scan my PC...
System Security
Taskbar sometimes disappears
What up with that? I am running a freshly installed Win7 x64 Ultimate (installed yesterday according to all the installation cannons and all), and my taskbar keeps disappearing at times. I can bring it back by right-clicking on the place it usually is and then change some preference; nevertheless...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App