Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Registry Tweaks


14 May 2011   #1

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
 
 
Registry Tweaks

Can anyone give me a list of user tweaks/restrictions within regedit and their DWORD's within HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer/

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 May 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

I don't know if there is just one list - what are you trying to achieve?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
 
 

I have written a logon script writtten in vb and just need a list and any ideas of settings to apply
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 May 2011   #4

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tobyhutton1234 View Post
Can anyone give me a list of user tweaks/restrictions within regedit and their DWORD's within HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer/

Thanks
Here is a list
10 ways to tweak Windows 7 using the Local Group Policy Editor | TechRepublic
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

DO NOT apply ANY registry tweaks in Windows 7. Windows 7 is already sharply optimized and simply does not need "tweaking." You're just asking for trouble.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #6

Win 7 SP1
 
 

MacGyvr, I think he's trying to write a logon script that will specify limitations for user accounts when they log in.

I've heard of stuff like this done in *inx systems used to completely dictate the limitations of accounts.

In some ways, this is far superior to group policy editing since you can make the changes as needed, push the update to the server, and force a logout/login with the new policies in place.


T
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #7

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
DO NOT apply ANY registry tweaks in Windows 7. Windows 7 is already sharply optimized and simply does not need "tweaking." You're just asking for trouble.
A list of names of my reg tweaks when doing a fresh install. This tweaks 7 for me, none of them are dangerous, one click of a bat file and they are all automagically installed. Depends what you are looking to do.
Code:
ARTE FARTE -M$ Paint -Snip.reg

CASCADED MAIL.reg

DESKTOP RESTORE MoveTo COMMON FILES.reg

ELEVATED CMD TO DRIVE -ADD.reg

ELEVATED CMD TO FOLDER -ADD.reg

ELEVATED CMD TO PUTER -ADD.reg

MANAGE -PC -REMOVE.reg

NO DRIVES IN SEND TO MENU.reg

NOTEPAD -USE.reg

PIN TO START ENABLE.reg

REGISTRY EDITOR -ADD.reg

REMOVE REMOTE COMPUTER.reg

RESTART EXPLORER IN CONTEXT.reg

RESTORE PREVIOUS VERSIONS -REMOVE.reg

SHUT DOWN TIMEOUT 2,50 SECS.reg

TAKE OWNERSHIP IN CONTEXT.reg

WINDOWS UPDATE - ADD TO PC.reg

AERO SNAP -OFF.reg

BRIEFCASE -REMOVE.reg

COMMON DIALOG (SAVE IN).reg

Context Icons Merged.reg

COPYTO~MOVETO ~ CONTEXT.reg

DISABLE 8.3 NAME CREATION.reg

DISABLE AUTO BSOD REBOOT.reg

DRIVE LETTERS FIRST.reg

FLIP 3D TO CONTEXT -ADD.reg

HIBERNATE OFF.reg

LOGON WELCOME BCKGRD CHANGE.reg

PREVIOUS VERSIONS TAB - REMOVE.reg

SHORTCUT ARROW - REMOVE.reg

SHUT DOWN TIMEOUT 2,5 SECS.reg

WINDOWS UPDATE NO AUTO REBOOT.reg

NUMLOCK ON.reg

LIBRARY IN CONTEXT - REMOVE.REG

CCLEAN ICON IN BIN.REG

CD DVD BURNING  -HIDE.REG

CMD WINDOW COLOUR.reg

Copy File Name - Add.reg

Copy Path Name - Add.reg

DELETE - ADD.REG

DISK CLEANUP 2 My PC -ADD.reg

Drive Icons.reg

EXPLORER ADD TO LIBRARY -HIDE.REG

FOLDER VIEW AUTO ARRANGE - DISABLE.REG

I.E.8 Title Change.reg

I.E.8 Toolbar on Top.reg

I.E.8 WELCOME PAGE -OFF.REG

LIBRARIES - DISABLE.REG

REM LIBRARY PANE - HIDE.REG

Prevent Cursor Change by Theme.REG

Prevent Desktop Icons Change by Theme.reg

Run CCleaner Icon.reg

SHELLNEW CLEAN UP.REG

TOOLTIP HOVER - 0.3s.reg

WINDOWS SEARCH FOR SOLUTION - OFF.REG

WINDOWS UPDATE - ADD TO PC.reg

WMP Auto Update Off.reg
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #8

Win7 Ultimate x64, Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fimble View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
DO NOT apply ANY registry tweaks in Windows 7. Windows 7 is already sharply optimized and simply does not need "tweaking." You're just asking for trouble.
A list of names of my reg tweaks when doing a fresh install. This tweaks 7 for me, none of them are dangerous, one click of a bat file and they are all automagically installed. Depends what you are looking to do.
Code:
ARTE FARTE -M$ Paint -Snip.reg

CASCADED MAIL.reg

DESKTOP RESTORE MoveTo COMMON FILES.reg

ELEVATED CMD TO DRIVE -ADD.reg

ELEVATED CMD TO FOLDER -ADD.reg

ELEVATED CMD TO PUTER -ADD.reg

MANAGE -PC -REMOVE.reg

NO DRIVES IN SEND TO MENU.reg

NOTEPAD -USE.reg

PIN TO START ENABLE.reg

REGISTRY EDITOR -ADD.reg

REMOVE REMOTE COMPUTER.reg

RESTART EXPLORER IN CONTEXT.reg

RESTORE PREVIOUS VERSIONS -REMOVE.reg

SHUT DOWN TIMEOUT 2,50 SECS.reg

TAKE OWNERSHIP IN CONTEXT.reg

WINDOWS UPDATE - ADD TO PC.reg

AERO SNAP -OFF.reg

BRIEFCASE -REMOVE.reg

COMMON DIALOG (SAVE IN).reg

Context Icons Merged.reg

COPYTO~MOVETO ~ CONTEXT.reg

DISABLE 8.3 NAME CREATION.reg

DISABLE AUTO BSOD REBOOT.reg

DRIVE LETTERS FIRST.reg

FLIP 3D TO CONTEXT -ADD.reg

HIBERNATE OFF.reg

LOGON WELCOME BCKGRD CHANGE.reg

PREVIOUS VERSIONS TAB - REMOVE.reg

SHORTCUT ARROW - REMOVE.reg

SHUT DOWN TIMEOUT 2,5 SECS.reg

WINDOWS UPDATE NO AUTO REBOOT.reg

NUMLOCK ON.reg

LIBRARY IN CONTEXT - REMOVE.REG

CCLEAN ICON IN BIN.REG

CD DVD BURNING  -HIDE.REG

CMD WINDOW COLOUR.reg

Copy File Name - Add.reg

Copy Path Name - Add.reg

DELETE - ADD.REG

DISK CLEANUP 2 My PC -ADD.reg

Drive Icons.reg

EXPLORER ADD TO LIBRARY -HIDE.REG

FOLDER VIEW AUTO ARRANGE - DISABLE.REG

I.E.8 Title Change.reg

I.E.8 Toolbar on Top.reg

I.E.8 WELCOME PAGE -OFF.REG

LIBRARIES - DISABLE.REG

REM LIBRARY PANE - HIDE.REG

Prevent Cursor Change by Theme.REG

Prevent Desktop Icons Change by Theme.reg

Run CCleaner Icon.reg

SHELLNEW CLEAN UP.REG

TOOLTIP HOVER - 0.3s.reg

WINDOWS SEARCH FOR SOLUTION - OFF.REG

WINDOWS UPDATE - ADD TO PC.reg

WMP Auto Update Off.reg
Hey fimble,

As a GPO nut, this is new to me. Can you post more info on how you write these tweaks, or PM? Thanks!

Heather

Sent from my Evo 4G. Please to excuse my engrish typing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi Heather,

You just need to know the registry entry - put it into a .reg file and merge it - either individually, or via a .bat or .cmd file with the line regedit /s refilename.reg

Or you can do it this way directly via .cmd

short extract here - adds 7-zip cont men to winpe
Code:
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression" /f /v "Level" /t REG_DWORD /d 5
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression" /f /v "Archiver" /t REG_SZ /d "7z"
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression" /f /v "ShowPassword" /t REG_DWORD /d 0
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression" /f /v "EncryptHeaders" /t REG_DWORD /d 0
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression\Options\7z" /f /v "Method" /t REG_SZ /d "LZMA"
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression\Options\7z" /f /v "Level" /t REG_DWORD /d 9
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression\Options\7z" /f /v "Dictionary" /t REG_DWORD /d 16777216
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression\Options\7z" /f /v "Order" /t REG_DWORD /d 64
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression\Options\7z" /f /v "BlockSize" /t REG_DWORD /d 32
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Compression\Options\7z" /f /v "NumThreads" /t REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Options" /f /v "CascadedMenu" /t REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Options" /f /v "ContextMenu" /t REG_DWORD /d 16151
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Options" /f /v "WorkDirType" /t REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Options" /f /v "WorkDirPath" /t REG_SZ /d ""
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-ZIP\Options" /f /v "TempRemovableOnly" /t REG_DWORD /d 0
reg add "HKU\.DEFAULT\SessionInformation" /f /v "ProgramCount" /t REG_DWORD /d 4
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\7-ZIP" /f /ve /t REG_SZ /d "{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}"
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}" /f /ve /t REG_SZ /d "7-Zip Shell Extension"
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}\InprocServer32" /f /ve /t REG_SZ /d "x:\windows\system32\7-zip.dll"
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}\InprocServer32" /f /v "ThreadingModel" /t REG_SZ /d "Apartment"
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\DragDropHandlers\7-ZIP" /f /ve /t REG_SZ /d "{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}"

etc...
Any specific ones you are looking for?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #10

windows 7 ultimate
 
 

My method is using a .bat file. This changes default settings. Example below:
Code:
Regedit /s "C:\Path to\ the folder\With\ELEVATED CMD TO DRIVE -ADD.reg

Regedit /s "C:\Path to\ the folder\With\ELEVATED CMD TO FOLDER -ADD.reg"

Regedit /s "C:\Path to\ the folder\With\ELEVATED CMD TO PUTER -ADD.reg"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Registry Tweaks




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Registry Tweaks
Thread Forum
Need help in undoing registry tweaks Performance & Maintenance
Many Registry Tweaks For Windows 7 Performance & Maintenance
Registry: can't control Desktop Background Slideshow in registry? Customization
Registry problem after windows update and registry optimization tool Backup and Restore
Driver Sweeper can't delete all registry files in registry editor Drivers
Registry Hacks/Tweaks Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33