Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 64bit or 32bit? Windows 7?


16 May 2011   #1

Win7
 
 
64bit or 32bit? Windows 7?

I am planning to build a PC with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ processor (2.30GHz, 1MB Cache). The programs that will be open: Photoshop CS3 or CS4 (depending on the choice made), iTunes, Firefox 4. I am unsure whether to set it up with: Windows 7 32bit and 2GIG RAM or Windows 7 64bit and 4GIG RAM Can anyone advise? Will there be a huge difference in general usage speed? Please give reasons. PLEASE NOTE : I have read the comparison sticky on here - I am after advise regarding day to day use. Just web and the occasional picture edit


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 May 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

2Gb is just about the minimum to run Win 7. I would think if you are going to make heavy use of Photoshop you will need more. That means that you really ought to go with x64. It will also give you the opportunity to upgrade to even more ram in the future.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #3

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
2Gb is just about the minimum to run Win 7. I would think if you are going to make heavy use of Photoshop you will need more. That means that you really ought to go with x64. It will also give you the opportunity to upgrade to even more ram in the future.
TBH, I don't think Photoshop would be used extensively. Would you expect a PC with the processor I mentioned to last long enough to require more RAM? I am guessing here - but I suspect by the time it needs more RAM, it will need an upgraded CPU?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 May 2011   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I don't have any experience with that processor but I have an Intel i3 2.3 MH that started with 2Gb DDR3 RAM and win 7 x64. I upgraded to 4Gb because it was definitely sluggish after 6 months. I don't do much heavy processing either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

It depends on how long you plan to use this PC. Memory is dirt cheap right now, and while the processor is quite out-dated, it would run Windows 7 fine with enough RAM. I doubt you'd see much of a difference in everday usage. Given the specs, however, I'd consider ditching Photoshop and using Paint.NET. It's free, so the money you'd save can go towards future upgrades.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
It depends on how long you plan to use this PC. Memory is dirt cheap right now, and while the processor is quite out-dated, it would run Windows 7 fine with enough RAM. I doubt you'd see much of a difference in everday usage. Given the specs, however, I'd consider ditching Photoshop and using Paint.NET. It's free, so the money you'd save can go towards future upgrades.
Good point about Paint.NET. Gimp is also good but a bit more complicated to use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Personally, I'd go for the 64-bit version of Win 7 with 4GB of RAM as it'll be quicker and less susceptible to a virus infection.

Don't forget, if you use the 32-bit version you are restricted to 3.25GB of RAM.

Photoshop CS4 is available in a 64-bit version as well as the 32-bit platform.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #8

 
 

More RAM is better, period. Not just for apps that use it, but also for multi-tasking. Not too mention that it holds more 'cached data', meaning that it's faster to read cached 'anticipated' data in RAM than it is to read it from HD.

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64
 
 

If your CPU supports 64-bit, then go 64-bit. Don't hold back on the potential your CPU offers. And considering 64bit standard is rapidly growing, you will be able to run both 64bit applications as well as 32bit ones.

Also not to mention going 64bit you can upgrade RAM in the future beyond 4GB if you wish.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mits_windows_7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2011   #10

Windows 7 64 bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gingbeard View Post
I am planning to build a PC with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ processor (2.30GHz, 1MB Cache). The programs that will be open: Photoshop CS3 or CS4 (depending on the choice made), iTunes, Firefox 4. I am unsure whether to set it up with: Windows 7 32bit and 2GIG RAM or Windows 7 64bit and 4GIG RAM Can anyone advise? Will there be a huge difference in general usage speed? Please give reasons. PLEASE NOTE : I have read the comparison sticky on here - I am after advise regarding day to day use. Just web and the occasional picture edit
For photoshop go 64 bit so you can use as much of that 4GB as possible for it. If you use photoshop a lot and manipulate more than one large photo at a time like I do, then I would recommend you get 8GB of RAM.

There will not be an huge increase in speed, but you will get better performance with 4 GB in general (more inactive programs cached in RAM, better photoshop performance when using lots of RAM, etc.).

I really can;t see any reason for anyone not to go 64 bit - unless there is some really old legacy program that won't run as 32 bits under 64 bit OS - which is exceedingly rare I think.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 64bit or 32bit? Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 64bit or 32bit? Windows 7?
Thread Forum
Windows 7 32bit to 64bit Installation & Setup
Windows 7 pro 32bit to 64bit Installation & Setup
Windows 7 32bit vs 64bit? Performance & Maintenance
W7 64bit:Ok to install 32bit programs outside the 32bit programfolder? Software
32bit or 64bit of windows?? Hardware & Devices
OEM Windows 7 32bit to 64bit Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33