Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Make Top Folder's Date Modified Attribute Reflect Its Contents

07 Jun 2011   #1

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
 
 
Make Top Folder's Date Modified Attribute Reflect Its Contents

I have a folder that contains profile backups for a bunch of users. It's a fairly simple file structure:

E:\Users
E:\Users\User1
E:\Users\User1\My Documents
E:\Users\User1\My Documents\file2.file
E:\Users\User1\My Documents\file3.file
E:\Users\User1\Pictures
E:\Users\User1\file1.file
E:\Users\User2


And so on.

What I'm trying to achieve is that the folders for User1, User2, etc. have Date Modified attributes that reflect the most recent of any file or folder within it. Currently, I have a number of User folders that have a modified date of sometime in 2008, while its respective subfolders have modified dates much more recent than 2008. I just want to be able to take a quick glance at the top level folders and see what the most recent date modified is for any of its contents.

Is this possible?

Thank you very much.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jun 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CoachHoach View Post
I have a folder that contains profile backups for a bunch of users. It's a fairly simple file structure:

E:\Users
E:\Users\User1
E:\Users\User1\My Documents
E:\Users\User1\My Documents\file2.file
E:\Users\User1\My Documents\file3.file
E:\Users\User1\Pictures
E:\Users\User1\file1.file
E:\Users\User2


And so on.

What I'm trying to achieve is that the folders for User1, User2, etc. have Date Modified attributes that reflect the most recent of any file or folder within it. Currently, I have a number of User folders that have a modified date of sometime in 2008, while its respective subfolders have modified dates much more recent than 2008. I just want to be able to take a quick glance at the top level folders and see what the most recent date modified is for any of its contents.

Is this possible?

Thank you very much.

Your profile says you are using Vista.
Are you asking for someone who uses Windows 7 ?

Please clarify before I try to give my answer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2011   #3

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Your profile says you are using Vista.
Are you asking for someone who uses Windows 7 ?

Please clarify before I try to give my answer.
Technically, I'm looking for a solution for a Windows Server 2003 R2 machine, but I was also hoping that the same (or a similar) fix would apply to Windows 7 as well. Sorry for not clarifying to begin with. My daily use computer is running Vista, but this issue regards a different environment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Jun 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CoachHoach View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Your profile says you are using Vista.
Are you asking for someone who uses Windows 7 ?

Please clarify before I try to give my answer.
Technically, I'm looking for a solution for a Windows Server 2003 R2 machine, but I was also hoping that the same (or a similar) fix would apply to Windows 7 as well. Sorry for not clarifying to begin with. My daily use computer is running Vista, but this issue regards a different environment.
Will this screenshot fits your rerequirement ? (I am using Windows 7.)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2011   #5

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Possibly, but it's hard for me to tell you exactly without knowing that folder structure.

Here is a pair of screenshots that demonstrate my issue:

This is the top level folder for a bunch of users (loki simply being one of the ones to exhibit the issue):
Make Top Folder's Date Modified Attribute Reflect Its Contents-folder1.jpg
Note the date is 5/18/2011.

Now if I enter the loki directory, you can see there exists a folder with a more recent date modified (6/7/2011):
Name:  folder2.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  37.6 KB

Ideally, I would like the top directory (C:\Users\loki) to exhibit the more recent date modified (6/7/2011).
It seems that making changes in its subdirectories does not affect it, though.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

I see now. The change in subfolder is not reflected in the main folder.

I don't have an answer for you.
Sorry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2011   #7

Windows 7 x64 (SP1)
 
 

Sub directories will never affect the parent in this way and there is no way to make it do so.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2011   #8

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Sub directories will never affect the parent in this way and there is no way to make it do so.
I see. There wouldn't happen to be any kindof 3rd party utilities or scripts I could use to accomplish this, would there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Make Top Folder's Date Modified Attribute Reflect Its Contents





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Make Top Folder's Date Modified Attribute Reflect Its Contents
Thread Forum
How to make a folder AND its contents hidden and unsearchable? General Discussion
Powershell - Delete parent folder based on modified date of subfolder General Discussion
"easy transfer" resets folder modified date General Discussion
Touch a folder, Win7 changes its modified date Network & Sharing
file date-created VS date-modified where modified < created General Discussion
Last Modified Date bug? General Discussion
Date modified Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33