Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Navigation Pane


09 Jun 2011   #1

Windows 8.1.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 
Navigation Pane

How can I get all drives to show under Computer in the navigation pane. The only one showing is drive (COS? I put a check mark by show all empty drives, but that didn't work. I'm using the classic theme.

Thanks Clint


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jun 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2011   #3

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

I also found this utility useful:

Windows 7 Navigation Pane Customizer: Show, Hide, Rename Items In Windows Explorer Navigation Pane | door2windows

I found getting rid of Libraries and just putting a few shortcuts in favorites, and listing my drives cleared out the clutter. But it's a fast way to try different combinations. Kills Explorer and changes show right away.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Jun 2011   #4

Windows 8.1.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Thanks Jerry, The right click worked. I had a tech fron Dell to screw all my settings up. I'm just trying to get them back like I had them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2011   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 5Clint7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Thanks Jerry, The right click worked. I had a tech fron Dell to screw all my settings up. I'm just trying to get them back like I had them.
You're Welcome
Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2011   #6

Windows 8.1.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
I also found this utility useful:

Windows 7 Navigation Pane Customizer: Show, Hide, Rename Items In Windows Explorer Navigation Pane | door2windows

I found getting rid of Libraries and just putting a few shortcuts in favorites, and listing my drives cleared out the clutter. But it's a fast way to try different combinations. Kills Explorer and changes show right away.
Thanks for your info too.

Clint
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Just as a cautionary measure, I suggest posters read all of the
users' comments before downloading this app. It may cause some problems, so you'd want to be careful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #8

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Just as a cautionary measure, I suggest posters read all of the
users' comments before downloading this app. It may cause some problems, so you'd want to be careful.
I keep seeing this mentioned every time I suggest it. I don't see the killer user comment. Perhaps you could specify which one?

Anytime one changes the registry it should be backed up with something first. Even if you edit yourself manually. I tried many variations for the Nav pane using this tool with no ill effect at all other than it being more convenient than editing the Registry myself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #9

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Just as a cautionary measure, I suggest posters read all of the users' comments before downloading this app. It may cause some problems, so you'd want to be careful.
I keep seeing this mentioned every time I suggest it. I don't see the killer user comment. Perhaps you could specify which one?
I didn't say there was a "killer user comment" -- I said that as a 'cautionary measure' posters should read the comments. For me, when reviews are mixed, I think seriously about whether it is worth it to take a chance to put a given app or utility on my system. Below are just a few of the 3 pages of comments --- enough that they gave me pause, and I decided not to download it.

"I've encountered a bug: I hid and then restored Favorites, but now the Favorites folder appears to be corrupt and will not display or add any entries. Any idea how I can get my beloved favorites back?"

"i cannot get this to work on Windows 7-64 sp1 at all, when it restarts explorer nothing changes. i have managed to find other ways to hide favorites, libraries, network, but just cannot find a way to get rid of the control panel (which always shows up expanded when i dont even want it),
i hope this handy app at some point will start working for me again, perhaps in another revision..."

"It doesn't work for me either. Logged in and run as adminitrator. On Win 7 Ultimate, x64, Ahtlon Dual Core M320, 4GB RAM.
The text in German below reads "access to registry key xxx forbidden."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #10

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

I looked through the comments before when I first suggested it in Freebie thread. I think expecting anything that hooks into Explorer to be rock solid is unrealistic. That's why in years of trying Explorer modifications that stick on buttons or extra menus the only one I've kept more than a day is QTTabBar.

Sometimes I think it gets too pablum oriented where if people who experiment with their systems don't know enough to back them up then no amount of finger wagging is going to save them. It just gets tedious.

edit: btw I didn't mean to bite your head off. I'm sure you don't want to see someone encounter problems. Seems like a simple utility so I'm not sure why there would be such sided effects unless perhaps it's an ansi/unicode thing. Sorry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Navigation Pane




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Navigation Pane
Thread Forum
Solved Navigation Pane Performance & Maintenance
Solved navigation pane error General Discussion
Solved Navigation Pane is a pain Microsoft Office
navigation pane fun Customization
Solved Navigation pane customization Customization
Solved Empty Navigation pane. General Discussion
Navigation Pane General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33