Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Question regarding upgrading from Vista to Seven


06 Jul 2011   #11
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

For a quick test, PuppyLinux is a good choice. If you want to stay on Linux, a full Ubuntu version is probably preferable.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jul 2011   #12

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
Stormy13, thank you for your reply. It's a Dell OptiPlex 755. $199 was the cheapest I saw. I won't be using the pc other than browsing the internet (youtube, facebook, reading e-mails and newspapers). If there is a cheaper version of Seven for these purposes (yb, fb, listening music, videos), please let me know.
if I purchase that "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit - OEM" disc from that link, will I be able to put in the disc drive and install it over Vista without any issues? $99 is a good price.

Bobkn, thank you for your reply. There is no any kind of sticker on the computer except a sticker that says OptiPlex 755. It did not come with any books or discs. I do not have extra money to buy a new computer but if I can afford the $99 Windows 7 disc if I can be able to install it on this computer: Dell OptiPlex 755 which I purchased for $100. As you can see, if I don't do this $99 install, the Dell computer I bought will be a waste.

Thank you,
Cindi
Perhaps you should stop any notion of installing Windows 7.

You cannot upgrade or install a legally licensed Windows 7 on a computer that is NOT working.
From what you wrote in your first post, you couldn't even start the computer.
Maybe I misunderstand. But why can't he install e.g. an OEM Windows7 - provided his PC is physically working.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
You cannot upgrade or install a legally licensed Windows 7 on a computer that is NOT working.
From what you wrote in your first post, you couldn't even start the computer.
I don't speak for Cindi, but that's not what she wrote. Vista is installed, but it won't run because it has not been activated and the 30 day grace period has expired. (Appears to be from a slightly crooked swap meet seller.)

I've never tried Ubuntu (Linux) myself, but I'm tempted to recommend it. It's free:

Homepage | Ubuntu

You can even run it from a CD or USB flash drive without installing it on the PC, if you'd like to try it without affecting the system hard drive drive. That'd be one way to find out if you could live with it, without much cost. It's a 600+ MB download, though.
This is how I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong......
Until the computer can be activated, it is not a working computer.
If it is not a working computer, it cannot be considered as a valid qualifying previous version of Windows.
And the OP does not have the product key either.
Who knows if that " vista " is genuine or not.

excerpt from:
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
Remember that you need a valid qualifying previous version of Windows to use a Upgrade Windows 7, and to stop using (or uninstall) the qualifying OS while you have the upgrade installed. Microsoft only made doing a clean install from a upgrade Windows 7 possible to make it more convenient so you do not have to reinstall both the old Windows version (ex: Vista) and upgrade to Windows 7 everytime you needed or wanted to reinstall.

If you do not have a valid qualifying previous version of Windows, then you are violating the terms of Microsoft's Windows 7 End User License Agreement and could get your product key number invalidated by Microsoft. Plus, it is considered illegal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #13
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
This is how I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong......
Until the computer can be activated, it is not a working computer.
If it is not a working computer, it cannot be considered as a valid qualifying previous version of Windows.
And the OP does not have the product key either.
Who knows if that " vista " is genuine or not.
That is a correct statement. But it was suggested that he buy a new OEM Windows 7 (which costs about the same as an upgrade). And that should work. Right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Jul 2011   #14
Microsoft MVP

 

T-4-2 is correct about these pre-qualifications to use Upgrade version, which are on the honor system.

OEM version would be fine.

Don't forget to follow Stormy's advice to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows.

It will tell you what you need to know about running Windows 7 on that Dell.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #15

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
This is how I understand it, please correct me if I am wrong......
Until the computer can be activated, it is not a working computer.
If it is not a working computer, it cannot be considered as a valid qualifying previous version of Windows.
And the OP does not have the product key either.
Who knows if that " vista " is genuine or not.
That is a correct statement. But it was suggested that he buy a new OEM Windows 7 (which costs about the same as an upgrade). And that should work. Right?
I am not an expert. But, my reply is still " no".
What the OP has so far does not meet the requirement to be considered a qualifying previous version of Windows.
By the way, any plausible reasons that a 2nd hand computer will have a valid Vista that needs to be activated ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #16

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
I am not an expert. But, my reply is still " no".
What the OP has so far does not meet the requirement to be considered a qualifying previous version of Windows.
By the way, any plausible reasons that a 2nd hand computer will have a valid Vista that needs to be activated ?
The OEM version isn't an upgrade. It can be installed on a blank hard drive just like a full retail version, without any multiple installs or registry modifications. (It may not be posssible to install it as an upgrade-in-place over Vista. I presume that the full retail version would permit that, although few people would want to use a full retail license that way.)

It's cheaper because Microsoft does not permit it to be transferred to a new machine, unlike a full retail copy. Also, Microsoft provides no support for an OEM copy; support comes form the system builder. In principle, the OEM copy is for use only on a system that that is for resale:

Is it OK to use OEM Windows on your own PC? Don't ask Microsoft | ZDNet

However, I wouldn't care to bet on how many OEM copies have been used on machines that were retained by the original owners. As far as I know, there's no enforcement of the resale requirement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #17

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
I am not an expert. But, my reply is still " no".
What the OP has so far does not meet the requirement to be considered a qualifying previous version of Windows.
By the way, any plausible reasons that a 2nd hand computer will have a valid Vista that needs to be activated ?
The OEM version isn't an upgrade. It can be installed on a blank hard drive just like a full retail version, without any multiple installs or registry modifications. (It may not be posssible to install it as an upgrade-in-place over Vista. I presume that the full retail version would permit that, although few people would want to use a full retail license that way.)

It's cheaper because Microsoft does not permit it to be transferred to a new machine, unlike a full retail copy. Also, Microsoft provides no support for an OEM copy; support comes form the system builder. In principle, the OEM copy is for use only on a system that that is for resale:

Is it OK to use OEM Windows on your own PC? Don't ask Microsoft | ZDNet

However, I wouldn't care to bet on how many OEM copies have been used on machines that were retained by the original owners. As far as I know, there's no enforcement of the resale requirement.
I have no desire to engage in a discussion on this subject.
The focal point should be on the OP who needs to know what to do.
If you believe it is ok to install a Windows 7 over an un-activated Vista which may or may not be genuine and without a product key, go ahead and tell the OP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2011   #18
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
If you believe it is ok to install a Windows 7 over an un-activated Vista which may or may not be genuine and without a product key, go ahead and tell the OP.
During the installation of an OEM Windows 7, the installer will erase whatever was on the partition before. So it does not really matter whether that was a valid system or not. If you want to make double sure that the disk is kosher, you can always erase it beforehand with e.g. the bootable CD of partition wizard. Then there is no trace of history.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2011   #19

32bit Vista Chinese; 32bit W7 starter; 32bit XP Pro
 
 

I've used both Puppy Linux and Ubuntu Linux. Puppy Linux is intended for computers that retain their original OS (like Windows) and is booted from a CD. It is very limited. If Cindi wants to try Linux, she might locate a local Linux User Group and have them help her with installation.

Otherwise, it seems she might as well go forward with the $199 Windows 7 Home Premium and overwrite everything on the harddisk. The only cheaper option is to buy a 3 pack of Windows 7 updates from XP and/or Vista and have two others pay for the remainder. But if she has no documentation or registration for the installed Vista, the upgrade might balk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2011   #20
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by George Herzog View Post
I've used both Puppy Linux and Ubuntu Linux. Puppy Linux is intended for computers that retain their original OS (like Windows) and is booted from a CD. It is very limited. If Cindi wants to try Linux, she might locate a local Linux User Group and have them help her with installation.

Otherwise, it seems she might as well go forward with the $199 Windows 7 Home Premium and overwrite everything on the harddisk. The only cheaper option is to buy a 3 pack of Windows 7 updates from XP and/or Vista and have two others pay for the remainder. But if she has no documentation or registration for the installed Vista, the upgrade might balk.
Why pay $199 for a retail version if a $99 OEM version does the same thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Question regarding upgrading from Vista to Seven




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Question regarding upgrading from Vista to Seven
Thread Forum
Solved Upgrading from Vista General Discussion
Upgrading from Vista (32 bit) to Win 7 (64 bit) Windows Updates & Activation
Help upgrading to 7 from Vista General Discussion
Upgrading Vista HP to W7 General Discussion
Upgrading from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit 7? Installation & Setup
Upgrading from Vista General Discussion
Question about upgrading Vista > the E version Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33