Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Question regarding upgrading from Vista to Seven

06 Jul 2011   #1
Cindi

Vista
 
 
Question regarding upgrading from Vista to Seven

Hi,

I bought a used computer from swap shop so my son and I can use it. It's a used dell computer. Bought it for $100 without even knowing that it works. Guy gave his word that it works. We only want to use it for browsing the internet for facebook, youtube or reading e-mails. My son is young and I don't need to use any other uses of a computer such as outlook e-mail, documents...
Anyways, After I put it and it states that Vista Windows is locked because it wasn't activated. After a quick search on the internet, says that vista should be activated within 30 days, if not, needs to be purchased. Computer does not have Vista keys attached nor came with any cd, booklets, box...
I went back to swap shop to see the guy but his space is empty, he's not there.
I'm planning on purchasing Windows Seven and install it on this computer.

My question is after putting the Windows Seven disc in, will I be able to install Seven and will it go over Vista so it won't give me problems?
Microsoft shows it at $199, is it the same price everywhere, can I get it cheaper anywhere else?

Thank you for your help.
Cindi


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #2
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Cindi, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Would help to know the model number of that Dell, would make it easier for telling you whether there are drivers/etc available for it. This,

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

will help as well.

As for buying it at $199 I'm guessing you're looking at Windows 7 Professional. Unless there are features in Professional that you need I would go with Home Premium instead. It can be had for around $100 or so,

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit - Operating Systems

You can see the differences between the versions here,

Compare Windows 7 Editions

and decide which would be the best fit for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #3
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
As for buying it at $199 I'm guessing you're looking at Windows 7 Professional. Unless there are features in Professional that you need I would go with Home Premium instead. It can be had for around $100 or so
$199 would be the price for the full retail version of Win7 Home Premium.

If Cindi wishes to follow the license agreement, she could not use the Upgrade version ($119). A generic OEM copy like the one you link to would be OK, although (in principle) the System Builder copies are intended only for machines intended for resale. (As far as I know, there's no enforcement of that.)

The good news: if the machine was capable of running Vista, it should have Win7 drivers available. (If not, the Vista drivers may be OK under 7.)

Cindi, are you sure there's no operating system license sticker on the PC? That's unexpected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #4
Cindi

Vista
 
 

Stormy13, thank you for your reply. It's a Dell OptiPlex 755. $199 was the cheapest I saw. I won't be using the pc other than browsing the internet (youtube, facebook, reading e-mails and newspapers). If there is a cheaper version of Seven for these purposes (yb, fb, listening music, videos), please let me know.
if I purchase that "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit - OEM" disc from that link, will I be able to put in the disc drive and install it over Vista without any issues? $99 is a good price.

Bobkn, thank you for your reply. There is no any kind of sticker on the computer except a sticker that says OptiPlex 755. It did not come with any books or discs. I do not have extra money to buy a new computer but if I can afford the $99 Windows 7 disc if I can be able to install it on this computer: Dell OptiPlex 755 which I purchased for $100. As you can see, if I don't do this $99 install, the Dell computer I bought will be a waste.

Thank you,
Cindi
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #5
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
Stormy13, thank you for your reply. It's a Dell OptiPlex 755. $199 was the cheapest I saw. I won't be using the pc other than browsing the internet (youtube, facebook, reading e-mails and newspapers). If there is a cheaper version of Seven for these purposes (yb, fb, listening music, videos), please let me know.
if I purchase that "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit - OEM" disc from that link, will I be able to put in the disc drive and install it over Vista without any issues? $99 is a good price.

Bobkn, thank you for your reply. There is no any kind of sticker on the computer except a sticker that says OptiPlex 755. It did not come with any books or discs. I do not have extra money to buy a new computer but if I can afford the $99 Windows 7 disc if I can be able to install it on this computer: Dell OptiPlex 755 which I purchased for $100. As you can see, if I don't do this $99 install, the Dell computer I bought will be a waste.

Thank you,
Cindi
Perhaps you should stop any notion of installing Windows 7.

You cannot upgrade or install a legally licensed Win7 on a computer that is NOT working.
From what you wrote in your first post, you couldn't even start the computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

If I were you, I would first test that PC with a Linux version. That does not cost you anything and after a bit of getting used to Linux, you may even want to keep it. It can do everything you want to do.

There are many Linux choices. But the most used one is Ubuntu ( http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download ).

But here is a list of select, recommended distros which you might want to study: ( http://www.linux.com/learn/docs/ldp/282996-choosing-the-best-linux-distributions-for-you )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #7
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
Stormy13, thank you for your reply. It's a Dell OptiPlex 755. $199 was the cheapest I saw. I won't be using the pc other than browsing the internet (youtube, facebook, reading e-mails and newspapers). If there is a cheaper version of Seven for these purposes (yb, fb, listening music, videos), please let me know.
if I purchase that "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit - OEM" disc from that link, will I be able to put in the disc drive and install it over Vista without any issues? $99 is a good price.

Bobkn, thank you for your reply. There is no any kind of sticker on the computer except a sticker that says OptiPlex 755. It did not come with any books or discs. I do not have extra money to buy a new computer but if I can afford the $99 Windows 7 disc if I can be able to install it on this computer: Dell OptiPlex 755 which I purchased for $100. As you can see, if I don't do this $99 install, the Dell computer I bought will be a waste.

Thank you,
Cindi
Perhaps you should stop any notion of installing Windows 7.

You cannot upgrade or install a legally licensed Win7 on a computer that is NOT working.
From what you wrote in your first post, you couldn't even start the computer.
Maybe I misunderstand. But why can't he install e.g. an OEM Windows7 - provided his PC is physically working.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #8
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

cindi,

Does the computer have COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker on it?

The sticker will probably be yellow and have the word Microsoft on it.

The other question is whether the computer's components function, especially the hard disk and the ram and how much ram the computer has.

As suggested, a simple, free version of Linux will help you here. PuppyLinux comes to mind.

No matter which version of linux you use, don't worry about understanding everything, Just stumble around enough to find out what you have bought.

Puppy Linux is nice in that it can be run from CD without installing anything on your computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #9
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
You cannot upgrade or install a legally licensed Win7 on a computer that is NOT working.
From what you wrote in your first post, you couldn't even start the computer.
I don't speak for Cindi, but that's not what she wrote. Vista is installed, but it won't run because it has not been activated and the 30 day grace period has expired. (Appears to be from a slightly crooked swap meet seller.)

I've never tried Ubuntu (Linux) myself, but I'm tempted to recommend it. It's free:

Homepage | Ubuntu

You can even run it from a CD or USB flash drive without installing it on the PC, if you'd like to try it without affecting the system hard drive drive. That'd be one way to find out if you could live with it, without much cost. It's a 600+ MB download, though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2011   #10
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

PuppyLinux is much, much smaller.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Question regarding upgrading from Vista to Seven




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Question regarding upgrading from Vista to Seven
Thread Forum
Solved Upgrading from Vista General Discussion
Upgrading from Vista (32 bit) to Win 7 (64 bit) Windows Updates & Activation
Help upgrading to 7 from Vista General Discussion
Upgrading Vista HP to W7 General Discussion
Upgrading from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit 7? Installation & Setup
Upgrading from Vista General Discussion
Question about upgrading Vista > the E version Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App