Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 fail to boot after windows update


09 Jul 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 
Windows 7 fail to boot after windows update

Hello,

I restarted my windows 7 Compaq NX 7400 laptop yesterday after an automatic windows update and since that time I have been unable to reboot my laptop. I have tried all recovery/repair options on the windows installation disc but to date now have worked.

The message shown is "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause". I having exhausted all the repair options and now worked, I opted to to do another installation on the same partition;after all files were copied and the machine rebooted I ran into the same problem; only this time the error was "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: File: \windows\system32\winload.exe status: 0xc000000f"

I need some urgent help please.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jul 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I am unclear as to whether safe mode will boot right now.
Have you tried that?
It sounds like you have a corrupt windows file (possibly an indication of a failing hard drive) normally I would just start safe mode with command prompt and run
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

I'm unclear if you are able to do that at the moment though.

I'm thinking I'll have to go with failing hard drive if this has happened twice in a row though.
Though I also notice there is no official windows 7 support from compaq/hp for your laptop either.
It could simply be a bunch of drivers failing.

Either way if you are unable to run a SFC a repair install is probably your best bet. It will reset the windows settings but should leave programs and files still functional.

Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2011   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Before reinstalling, did you clean the HD?
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Jul 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Safe mode does not work, I'm not sure if its hard drive because I just purchased a brand new 300GB hard dive and installed a fresh copy of windows 7 ultimate. Anyway I tried installing a fresh copy on the same partition twice and I'm getting this error whenever the files are finished copying from the cd and the machine is restarted. File: \windows\ststem32\winload.exe

Status: 0xc000000f

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2011   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

On the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu
try Last Known Good Configuration.

If this fails, do you have the Repair console on F8 menu? If so boot in to run Startup Repair repeatedly. It should automate System Restore but run it manually if necessary from System Recovery Options

If no Repair console on F8 you'll need to use the DVD Repair console or System Repair Disc - Create

You can copy out your files using DVD/Repair CD: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console
or Paragon Rescue CD.

Then run full Facctory Recovery from its partition, or use a Windows 7 installation DVD to clean reinstall: Reinstalling Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2011   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
On the F8 Advanced Boot Options menu
try Last Known Good Configuration.

If this fails, do you have the Repair console on F8 menu? If so boot in to run Startup Repair repeatedly. It should automate System Restore but run it manually if necessary from System Recovery Options

If no Repair console on F8 you'll need to use the DVD Repair console or System Repair Disc - Create

You can copy out your files using DVD/Repair CD: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console
or Paragon Rescue CD.

Then run full Facctory Recovery from its partition, or use a Windows 7 installation DVD to clean reinstall: Reinstalling Windows 7
Hi Greg

OP is on first restart of new install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Well nothing seems to work; the machine is now not detecting the hard drive after I did the rebuild BCD and checked for active partition
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2011   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Before reinstalling, did you clean the HD?
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
HD Diagnostic
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

This is the last thing I tried:


Step one: Follow steps one to four in the above guide. This should take you to the Command Prompt in the Windows Recovery Environment.

Step two: Type DiskPart and then press Enter.

Step three: Type List Disk now and then press Enter. This command will list all disks attached to your computer and assign them a disk number.

Step four: Type Select Disk x, where x is the number for the disk containing the partition you wish to make active. Press Enter.

Step five: Type List Partition and then press Enter. You will now be shown a list of the partitions on the selected disk. Determine which partition you wish to make active.

Step six: Type Select Partition x, where x is the number of the partition you wish to make active.

Step seven: Now, just type Active and then press Enter. That should be it - the selected partition is now active.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jul 2011   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevind1234 View Post
This is the last thing I tried:


Step one: Follow steps one to four in the above guide. This should take you to the Command Prompt in the Windows Recovery Environment.

Step two: Type DiskPart and then press Enter.

Step three: Type List Disk now and then press Enter. This command will list all disks attached to your computer and assign them a disk number.

Step four: Type Select Disk x, where x is the number for the disk containing the partition you wish to make active. Press Enter.

Step five: Type List Partition and then press Enter. You will now be shown a list of the partitions on the selected disk. Determine which partition you wish to make active.

Step six: Type Select Partition x, where x is the number of the partition you wish to make active.

Step seven: Now, just type Active and then press Enter. That should be it - the selected partition is now active.
Windows needs to be fully installed first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 fail to boot after windows update




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 fail to boot after windows update
Thread Forum
windows 7 sp1 update fail Windows Updates & Activation
windows service pack 1,security update for windows 7 fail updates General Discussion
Solved windows update fail error 8000FFFF also showing windows not genuine Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update Self-update Fail Error 80073712 Windows Updates & Activation
Windows fail to start after windows update / BSOD BSOD Help and Support
Several drivers fail/programs fail at Windows update Drivers
Windows Update Fail.. Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33