Here is what I did:
1) Installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a new system with two physical disk drives (c: is an SSD, d: is standard disk)
2) While installing, used SYSPREP to move Users and ProgramData to d:\
3) Pulled the D:\ drive to copy info on it from the system I am replacing
4) MISTAKENLY booted the system and attempted to log in. Got an error (Userprofile was on the missing drive) and shut down. NOTE: Login Picture was missing.
5) Replaced the d: drive.
6) When I boot, I see my profile pic, but I get the error "The user profile services service failed the logon"
7) I had not yet created a second account or enabled the admin account.
8) Opened Repair. In the dos prompt, I see that the boot drive is now "E:\" and the data drive is coming up as c:\ (d:\ = temp and e:\ = DVD for the repair).
9) I tried to restore, but cannot locate a restore point (I know one was created by an install process just before I pulled the drive).
Any ideas? I haven't even created the Admin account in the Repair because I am afraid it will be created with the wrong drive references.