Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can an Easy Transfer archive be used/read without using Easy Transfer?

14 Jul 2011   #1
450125

Win7 Professional 64
 
 
Can an Easy Transfer archive be used/read without using Easy Transfer?

This sounds like a dumb question, but here's the background.

My daughter's XP laptop crashed (trashed hard disk that I doubt we can rescue much data from) and so we got her a Windows 7 computer. Unless we can rescue much of the old data from crashed XP, she's pretty much starting off empty.

Except that today I discovered on an external hard drive the "Easy Transfer" of her account from 15 months ago, from a computer she shared at that time, that was used to "port her up" on the XP laptop. So in theory, this "Easy Transfer" archive should have all of her data and files from 15 months ago.

But although the archive LOOKS like regular Windows folders and files, on closer examination, it's not. For example, I know there are jpg and .doc files, plenty of them, in the mix, yet all I see is lots of shortcuts to such files.

Is there a way, without running Windows Easy Transfer (I don't want to mess with her now running and configured Windows 7 laptop), to turn the Easy Transfer archive into a source from which I could copy over selected files and folders onto her new machine?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Jul 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 450125 View Post
This sounds like a dumb question, but here's the background.

My daughter's XP laptop crashed (trashed hard disk that I doubt we can rescue much data from) and so we got her a Windows 7 computer. Unless we can rescue much of the old data from crashed XP, she's pretty much starting off empty.

Except that today I discovered on an external hard drive the "Easy Transfer" of her account from 15 months ago, from a computer she shared at that time, that was used to "port her up" on the XP laptop. So in theory, this "Easy Transfer" archive should have all of her data and files from 15 months ago.

But although the archive LOOKS like regular Windows folders and files, on closer examination, it's not. For example, I know there are jpg and .doc files, plenty of them, in the mix, yet all I see is lots of shortcuts to such files.

Is there a way, without running Windows Easy Transfer (I don't want to mess with her now running and configured Windows 7 laptop), to turn the Easy Transfer archive into a source from which I could copy over selected files and folders onto her new machine?
Easy transfer sometimes is neither easy nor a true transfer. It is basically to transfer files (data) and settings (configurations). It can however leave you in an in-between state with some of each and neither of both.

It may be easier if everything works according to plan, but can be much more difficult if it does not.

The clean (non easy) re-install is always better despite being a pain.

Just my two cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2011   #3
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 450125 View Post
This sounds like a dumb question, but here's the background.

My daughter's XP laptop crashed (trashed hard disk that I doubt we can rescue much data from) and so we got her a Windows 7 computer. Unless we can rescue much of the old data from crashed XP, she's pretty much starting off empty.

Except that today I discovered on an external hard drive the "Easy Transfer" of her account from 15 months ago, from a computer she shared at that time, that was used to "port her up" on the XP laptop. So in theory, this "Easy Transfer" archive should have all of her data and files from 15 months ago.

But although the archive LOOKS like regular Windows folders and files, on closer examination, it's not. For example, I know there are jpg and .doc files, plenty of them, in the mix, yet all I see is lots of shortcuts to such files.

Is there a way, without running Windows Easy Transfer (I don't want to mess with her now running and configured Windows 7 laptop), to turn the Easy Transfer archive into a source from which I could copy over selected files and folders onto her new machine?
Easy transfer sometimes is neither easy nor a true transfer. It is basically to transfer files (data) and settings (configurations). It can however leave you in an in-between state with some of each and neither of both.

It may be easier if everything works according to plan, but can be much more difficult if it does not.

The clean (non easy) re-install is always better despite being a pain.

Just my two cents.
First, this is not what the OP asked, in any way.

To answer the OP, no....I have not found any utility to read the files created by WET for a purpose other than what it is designed.

Second, I use WET regularly to transfer data for my repair shop customers and have never had any problems, at all. It transfers all documents, pictures, music and settings to the new computer and I have never had it fail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2011   #4
450125

Win7 Professional 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
I use WET regularly to transfer data for my repair shop customers and have never had any problems, at all. It transfers all documents, pictures, music and settings to the new computer and I have never had it fail.
Hmm, this suggests an obvious solution I overlooked. I guess I could run WET to move the files from the external HD to the new computer. Except what happens to her already-established account on the new computer.

By this, I mean, let's say her name is "Mary" - that's the name of her already-established account on the new computer, and it was also the name of the account on the old computer. Does WET just power the old files over the new one? Or does it give me the option of (say) setting up "Mary2" on the new computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2011   #5
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 450125 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
I use WET regularly to transfer data for my repair shop customers and have never had any problems, at all. It transfers all documents, pictures, music and settings to the new computer and I have never had it fail.
Hmm, this suggests an obvious solution I overlooked. I guess I could run WET to move the files from the external HD to the new computer. Except what happens to her already-established account on the new computer.

By this, I mean, let's say her name is "Mary" - that's the name of her already-established account on the new computer, and it was also the name of the account on the old computer. Does WET just power the old files over the new one? Or does it give me the option of (say) setting up "Mary2" on the new computer?
Mary2 I believe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can an Easy Transfer archive be used/read without using Easy Transfer?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Easy transfer can't transfer files from a 64-bit computer to a
I recently purchased a WD Passport external Harddrive, and have attempted to use it with transferring files from a laptop running Windows 7 32-bit to a desktop running Windows 7 64-bit. Windows Easy Transfer won't allow me to do this, giving me the error msg: "Windows Easy transfer can't transfer...
General Discussion
Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers
How to Transfer Files from One Computer to Another Computer with Windows Easy Transfer This tutorial will show you how to transfer your user files and settings from one computer to another using the Windows Easy Transfer tool.This feature is available in Vista and Windows 7. It can also be used...
Tutorials
Don't want to transfer user files with easy transfer
I migrated to a new machine using easy transfer. I copied my files (user and data) to a hard drive that I installed in my new machine. I copied everything back and it all worked fine. Over time (the last year) I have altered my config and even wiped the OS and did a clean install. My problem...
General Discussion
Can I use easy transfer wiz
To go from a Win7 32 bit machine to a Win7 64 bit machine?? Thanks
General Discussion
Easy Transfer
here is a link to my other thread http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/58834-windows-easy-transfer.html I am having many issues since using easy transfer to bring xp files to win 7. the transfer put a lot of files on my comp i dont know if i need (and would be taking up space). for...
Installation & Setup
Easy Transfer
I recently installed in the computer Easy Transfer on Windows XP.I followed all the steps.I saved all the information stick.Also on the same computer I instalt windows again.Now I do not recognize the format of the Stick.I do not know what to do.:cry::cry::cry:
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App