Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: IS this possible without setting up a network..

26 Jul 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 
IS this possible without setting up a network..

Hey guys,

OK so I want to do this, instead of giving users disk quota (which is a pain) can I partition a drive give them around 3GB but keep same letters for all drives like U:<USERNAME> like this I do not need assign a different letter to each drive...

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jul 2011   #2

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CriticalError View Post
Hey guys,

OK so I want to do this, instead of giving users disk quota (which is a pain) can I partition a drive give them around 3GB but keep same letters for all drives like U:<USERNAME> like this I do not need assign a different letter to each drive...

Thanks
One thing you might take a look at is the subst command. When each user logs on, they can execute a batch file that will give them a U: drive. a command like this will do it.

subst U: d:\user1

you can have directories on the D drive called user1 user2 user3
and when that user logs in, their U drive will really be their own directory
on your D drive.

Is that what your asking?

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CriticalError View Post
Hey guys,

OK so I want to do this, instead of giving users disk quota (which is a pain) can I partition a drive give them around 3GB but keep same letters for all drives like U:<USERNAME> like this I do not need assign a different letter to each drive...

Thanks
One thing you might take a look at is the subst command. When each user logs on, they can execute a batch file that will give them a U: drive. a command like this will do it.

subst U: d:\user1

you can have directories on the D drive called user1 user2 user3
and when that user logs in, their U drive will really be their own directory
on your D drive.

Is that what your asking?

Rich
OK, but if I partition a drive by 20GB then do that how can users get 3GB from there? and how would it be possible to execute that command...

So if I made a drive U: of 20GB, then the users folders where in there, I just run that command, and it changes the directory?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Jul 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

I think I get it, if I make a partition of 20GB name it U, and have several users folder in there, and use that command to do this

subst \U:user1

then use task scheduler to execute that command on user login...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #5

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CriticalError View Post
I think I get it, if I make a partition of 20GB name it U, and have several users folder in there, and use that command to do this

subst \U:user1

then use task scheduler to execute that command on user login...

By gosh, you got it.

That should work but the subst command syntax is

subst u: d:\user1

I would not give the 20gig partition the same letter as your subst command.

my example of having several directories on my D drive called user1 user2 etc..
and then the
subst command requires a drive letter and a target location.

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richnrockville View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CriticalError View Post
I think I get it, if I make a partition of 20GB name it U, and have several users folder in there, and use that command to do this

subst \U:user1

then use task scheduler to execute that command on user login...

By gosh, you got it.

That should work but the subst command syntax is

subst u: d:\user1

I would not give the 20gig partition the same letter as your subst command.

my example of having several directories on my D drive called user1 user2 etc..
and then the
subst command requires a drive letter and a target location.

Rich
Yup, there are a few questions (I did try this it worked so I am please with that) When I run the command, do I have to run it every time? and if I run it from my admin account it will show for each user right?

Third is I guess I will need to put disk quota on...? so users get 3GB and not that 20GB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2011   #7

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CriticalError View Post
Yup, there are a few questions (I did try this it worked so I am please with that) When I run the command, do I have to run it every time? and if I run it from my admin account it will show for each user right?

Third is I guess I will need to put disk quota on...? so users get 3GB and not that 20GB
I don't believe that you can put a quota on the directories that you subst for.

Re how to map the drives.
you can put it in their startup folder the batch job for each user.
Or you can create one batch file that goes to different sections based on who the
user is.

rem %USERNAME% is the key to branching out in a batch file.

rem batch file to subst a sub directory to a drive letter with subst command
if %USERNAME% = "greg" goto greg
if %USERNAME% = "mary" goto mary
:greg
subst u: d:\greg
goto exit
:mary
subst u: d:\mary
goto exit


this is a shell of a batch file, but there are others that probably will
make it much better..
BTW, subst commands die when the system is rebooted.


:exit


Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

I just left the folder in the U:\users (where it was previously with quota) and then hid that drive & used subst command...

Thanks for your help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 IS this possible without setting up a network..




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: IS this possible without setting up a network..
Thread Forum
Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting Network & Sharing
Problems setting up Network between Win 7 and Win 8 pcs Network & Sharing
Setting up network bt Seven and Vista Network & Sharing
Setting up a second Network Network & Sharing
help me with setting up VPN to home network from anywhere Network & Sharing
Setting up a network Network & Sharing
help setting up network Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33