Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Prioritizing issues and posting correctly


28 Jul 2011   #1

32 bit Win 7 "Starter"
 
 
Prioritizing issues and posting correctly

My main issue for now is problems with the update suggestion to install SP1 on this Toshiba netbook:

Toshiba NB305
intel Atom CPU N450 1.66Ghz 1.67Ghz
RAM 1.00GB
32 bit

There are two remaining update in my windows update "folder"?

SP 1 and IE 9

After updating to IE 9 on my GF's new laptop I was no longer able to access my banks login for my account. The bank told me after the fact that they are aware of the issues and are working on it. That is not helping me since the bank h/as also nixed access via any other browser ie firefox, opera, or safari for windows.

My netbook has Windows 7 starter and i'm thinking that the update may not be easily compatible with this OS and the rest of the netbooks processor, ram etc.

I have read every notice about what might be interferring with SP1's installation. I've spent hours following every suggstion and even calling SafeCentral since that was mentioned in one of the MS list of fixes.

It's almost like an omen to me that maybe I should bow off this update as I am doing with the IE 9 now that I have experienced the downside of using it.

My basic question here is this: If sp1 is not easily compatible with 7 starter then why allow it to download to the recommended folder in windows updater?

I have spent more time updating and restarting this computer since I purchased it new than I have doing anything else with the exception perhaps of playing free cell while waiting for the updates to download. Some of the updates I suspect have caused the annoying "waiting circle" to spin and freeze me out from doing anything else including playing free cell.

Really now, how does updating make sense if it slows most other thing down?

Thanks for your time and wisdom.

Steppenwolf


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jul 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
My main issue for now is problems with the update suggestion to install SP1 on this Toshiba netbook:

Toshiba NB305
intel Atom CPU N450 1.66Ghz 1.67Ghz
RAM 1.00GB
32 bit

There are two remaining update in my windows update "folder"?

SP 1 and IE 9

After updating to IE 9 on my GF's new laptop I was no longer able to access my banks login for my account. The bank told me after the fact that they are aware of the issues and are working on it. That is not helping me since the bank h/as also nixed access via any other browser ie firefox, opera, or safari for windows.

My netbook has Windows 7 starter and i'm thinking that the update may not be easily compatible with this OS and the rest of the netbooks processor, ram etc.

I have read every notice about what might be interferring with SP1's installation. I've spent hours following every suggstion and even calling SafeCentral since that was mentioned in one of the MS list of fixes.

It's almost like an omen to me that maybe I should bow off this update as I am doing with the IE 9 now that I have experienced the downside of using it.

My basic question here is this: If sp1 is not easily compatible with 7 starter then why allow it to download to the recommended folder in windows updater?

I have spent more time updating and restarting this computer since I purchased it new than I have doing anything else with the exception perhaps of playing free cell while waiting for the updates to download. Some of the updates I suspect have caused the annoying "waiting circle" to spin and freeze me out from doing anything else including playing free cell.

Really now, how does updating make sense if it slows most other thing down?

Thanks for your time and wisdom.

Steppenwolf
SP-1 installs in most cases fairly well. I would run the system update readiness tool before to ensure the windows store is not corrupt and there are no legacy drivers. ReAD ABOUT IT HERE. Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [May 2011]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #3

 
 

I would definitely follow the advice of zigzag3143, one of our 'fearless leaders.' And to assist you with that, here's some low-tech, logical, good sense advice to follow during that process.

PRIOR to utilizing the Readiness Tool and then doing a new SP1 upgrade, be sure you've removed ALL of the remnants of your current upgrade's files/folders. You can do so by following your uninstall with an Advanced Search. (To get to Advanced Search, press the Windows key on your keyboard + F (or go into the Start Menu, and from inside the Search Pane, press F3).

That brings up the Search page - click the Advanced Search button to the far top-right, to open the Advanced Search Set Up page. On the Set-Up page, be sure to check the 'Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files' option.

Under Location, select Computer, or Everywhere, and in the Name box, fill in the name or number of the upgrade, or an important keyword from within one of the files. Click on the Search button, and if any associated files come up, just delete them.

After this first search is completed, to make sure there aren't still any remaining files lurking, do additional searches, using any other keywords you think might be solely associated with the SP1 upgrade.

PS: A word of caution: Occasionally, some of the files that will come up in the search may NOT be associated with the upgrade you're trying to delete. If you're not sure, don't delete those files, because you might be deleting something integral to another file or application. You have to be very careful! However, if you do delete something by accident, fortunately, you can always recover it from the Recycle Bin when you catch your mistake.

Once you've completed your Advanced Search and are ready to begin the preparation for the SP1 process, set a System Restore point, so that if anything causes you grief, you can get back to square one.

Then, while you're going through the process, it might be a good idea NOT to be playing solitaire () or for that matter, to have ANY programs or apps running. I have found that having everything closed while downloading upgrades is very helpful in avoiding problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Jul 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

The bank your using is not ready for IE9, I had the same issue with IE8 when it came out, with TD Bank. Switch back to IE8 and I advise not using a new MS browser for 8 to 10 months after it`s been released.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

IE9 seems to have caused problems for quite a few people.

When I first installed it, I couldn't get my ISP's home page to render properly and had to go back to IE8 for a time.

Have you checked with your bank to see whether another browser such as Firefox or Chrome would be OK?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #6
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Before installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

* First of all make sure you have created a current restore point plus a back up of your OS / files preferably on an external Hard Drive.

*Clean out App data / local / temp.
Start - Run - type in %temp% - ok - organize - select all - organize - delete { note you may be asked to skip some - that is ok}

* How to increase your chances of installing Service Pack 1 successfully.

Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center
(Revised 05/12/11 - new steps added to help insure success)

* It may be necessary to update your device drivers to the most recent Windows 7 device drivers from your computer manufacture's support web site (for your specific make and model)

* Start by installing the chipset/motherboard driver followed by the remaining available drivers.

* Run the SFC /SCANNOW command. This will check and repair if necessary any critical Windows system files.
Click on Start/All programs/Accessories then
Right click on Command Prompt option and select 'Run as administrator'.
At the command prompt enter:
SFC /SCANNOW

* Run the System Update Readiness Tool:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

* Steps to take before installing Windows 7 SP1

Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2011   #7

32 bit Win 7 "Starter"
 
 

First. Thanks to all for responding. i'll follow the suggestions after i calm down some from spending 99% of my time on this computer updating and going back in time to undo whatever was done that caused the computer to run like a turtle with a broken leg.

So when i get back to normal i'll try the suggestions anad let you know if it still hangs up at 99% complete for four hours telling me it's preparing the system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2011   #8
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Good luck & yes please report back....
If you need further help let us know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2011   #9

32 bit Win 7 "Starter"
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
Steppenwolf
SP-1 installs in most cases fairly well. I would run the system update readiness tool before to ensure the windows store is not corrupt and there are no legacy drivers. ReAD ABOUT IT HERE. Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [May 2011]
Tool downloaded. To be clearly: this "tool" will detect if "the windows store" is corrupt and that there are no "legacy drivers"? And if it finds a problem then it will correct them as well?

i'm so tmpted to do these things now but as mentioned i'm about reaady to youtube me beating this computer to pieces with a baseball bat.

BTW Toshiba told me that i had one week left on my warrenty and could not sell me an extention. But they would gladly sell me a new one at a discount price that was not as good as online stores.

This truely is the last step before carrying out my plan of destruction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2011   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
Steppenwolf
SP-1 installs in most cases fairly well. I would run the system update readiness tool before to ensure the windows store is not corrupt and there are no legacy drivers. ReAD ABOUT IT HERE. Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [May 2011]
Tool downloaded. To be clearly: this "tool" will detect if "the windows store" is corrupt and that there are no "legacy drivers"? And if it finds a problem then it will correct them as well?

i'm so tmpted to do these things now but as mentioned i'm about reaady to youtube me beating this computer to pieces with a baseball bat.

BTW Toshiba told me that i had one week left on my warrenty and could not sell me an extention. But they would gladly sell me a new one at a discount price that was not as good as online stores.

This truely is the last step before carrying out my plan of destruction.

As my cohort in crime (JMH) has already said backup first.

Readiness may or may not fix the problems (if any) but it should tell you if there are any before you get in too deep.

If you have a backup I would say go for it.


We are here if you get into deep water.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Prioritizing issues and posting correctly




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33