Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BIOS Problems


23 Jul 2009   #1

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 
BIOS Problems

Hello there,
I am having some problems with my pc (again!)

Question 1.
_________________________________________
yesterday i bought a new 1TB HDD and 2GB more ram to total 4GB RAMwhen i first installed it i had a few problems but they worked out fine, i then checked in the Bios and it picked up the RAM to total 4096MB. i then tried to install Windows 7 onto the 1TB and format the 250GB HDD. but windwos refused to install onto it, it would get to %16 and then just stop. so i burnt a new DVD, tried again, still not working so i burnt another at 4X burning speed, still didnt work . so i tried a known windows Vista disc, still didnt work. So i tried installing with one of my burnt wondws 7 discs onto my 250GB and it worked perfexctly! Does anyone know of any reasons why it wouldn't work?

Question 2.
__________________________________________
once i got the OS installed i went back into the bios to try and re-overclock the CPU, when i went back into there i noticed that the Bios was only now saying that i had 4096 installed RAM and 3584 usable...
does anybody know why this may be happening?

Question 3.
____________________________________________
Ever since i installed they new RAM and HDD the computer would only boot 50% of the time, as in i would turn it off and then turn it on again and i would get a beep code that goes like this --- PAUSE -----
(-'s are beeps)
i would then restart it and it would POST BUT! it would fail to overclock. i Would get a message and a beep after POST saying "OverClock Failed!)

__________
thank you for reading and your patience and hoep you can help me.
P.S.
My specs are:
Intel Celeron Dual core 2.0 Sometimes at 2.86 (when it works)
Asus P5KPL-1600 (Latest BIOS as of like the 17th July '09)
4 X Kingstom 1066 HyperX 1GB
1X Seagate baracuda 250GB
1X Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB (Zotac)

Thank You

-Braydon


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jul 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
bios

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brayway View Post
Hello there,
I am having some problems with my pc (again!)

Question 1.
_________________________________________
yesterday i bought a new 1TB HDD and 2GB more ram to total 4GB RAMwhen i first installed it i had a few problems but they worked out fine, i then checked in the Bios and it picked up the RAM to total 4096MB. i then tried to install Windows 7 onto the 1TB and format the 250GB HDD. but windwos refused to install onto it, it would get to %16 and then just stop. so i burnt a new DVD, tried again, still not working so i burnt another at 4X burning speed, still didnt work . so i tried a known windows Vista disc, still didnt work. So i tried installing with one of my burnt wondws 7 discs onto my 250GB and it worked perfexctly! Does anyone know of any reasons why it wouldn't work?

Question 2.
__________________________________________
once i got the OS installed i went back into the bios to try and re-overclock the CPU, when i went back into there i noticed that the Bios was only now saying that i had 4096 installed RAM and 3584 usable...
does anybody know why this may be happening?

Question 3.
____________________________________________
Ever since i installed they new RAM and HDD the computer would only boot 50% of the time, as in i would turn it off and then turn it on again and i would get a beep code that goes like this --- PAUSE -----
(-'s are beeps)
i would then restart it and it would POST BUT! it would fail to overclock. i Would get a message and a beep after POST saying "OverClock Failed!)

__________
thank you for reading and your patience and hoep you can help me.
P.S.
My specs are:
Intel Celeron Dual core 2.0 Sometimes at 2.86 (when it works)
Asus P5KPL-1600 (Latest BIOS as of like the 17th July '09)
4 X Kingstom 1066 HyperX 1GB
1X Seagate baracuda 250GB
1X Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB (Zotac)

Thank You

-Braydon
Braydon

1- sometimes you have to install with less ram (like 1 gig) abt the HD, does it work now that win 7 is installed?
2- You are probably 32 bit and 32 usually sees the full 4 but can only use 3.3-3.5 gigs. If your cpu and ram support it try 64 bit.
3-the beep code is telling you whats wrong. check the user manual (or mfr) for what 3,4 beeps mean.

Hope this helps and if you need more explanation feel free to ask

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #3

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Braydon

1- sometimes you have to install with less ram (like 1 gig) abt the HD, does it work now that win 7 is installed?
2- You are probably 32 bit and 32 usually sees the full 4 but can only use 3.3-3.5 gigs. If your cpu and ram support it try 64 bit.
3-the beep code is telling you whats wrong. check the user manual (or mfr) for what 3,4 beeps mean.

Hope this helps and if you need more explanation feel free to ask

Ken
Thank you for the FAST reply!
1.
Well first off Yes the Hdd Works Perfectly now! i can copy to it and all.
Not sure about the install with 1 gig less, how would that help? because after installing 7 at first the OS and BIOS picked it all up, but once i restarted and got the beep code again it no longer picks all up only 3.5 GB

2.
it is a 64BIT OS, the CPU and M/B are also X64

3.

already checked the net about the 8/3&5 beeps and not much wen i look under 8 beeps it says a G/C probelm, yet the GPU is fine!

thank you again!

-Braydon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Jul 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brayway View Post
Thank you for the FAST reply!
1.
Well first off Yes the Hdd Works Perfectly now! i can copy to it and all.
Not sure about the install with 1 gig less, how would that help? because after installing 7 at first the OS and BIOS picked it all up, but once i restarted and got the beep code again it no longer picks all up only 3.5 GB might be a bios setting. check legacy floppy support , MAX MEMORY, max # cpu's. all three should be unchecked.

2.
it is a 64BIT OS, the CPU and M/B are also X64

3.

already checked the net about the 8/3&5 beeps and not much wen i look under 8 beeps it says a G/C probelm, yet the GPU is fine! who makes your cpu?

thank you again!

-Braydon
Brandon could you give us your system specs if you haven't already

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #5

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Brandon could you give us your system specs if you haven't already

Ken
Got them up the top but here they are in a bit more detail:

OS: Windows 7 Build 7600 X64
CPU: Intel E1400 @ 2.0GHz
MB: Asus P5KPL-1600
GPU: Zotac Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512 MB
HDD:
1. Seagate Baracuda 250GB (OS)
2. WD Caviar Green 1TB
PSU: OCZ StealthXTream 500W
RAM: 4X Kingston HyperX 1GB 1066

EDIT:\
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
might be a bios setting. check legacy floppy support , MAX MEMORY, max # cpu's. all three should be unchecked.
Should legacy floopy be on or off? cause i turned it off?
MAX memory - no setting there
Max CPUs no setting

PS BIOS is AMI


Edit:

just restarted to go into BIOS i told seven to restart, it shut down but the comp kept running.......just a black screen, so i forcefully shut it down (hold off button)
i went into BIOS and checked everything i put Legacy support to 1.4MB 2.5" from disabled, i also set every ram setting to auto (i had put it at Kingstons specifications) then went to save. because i changed ram settings it had to restart.......same problems as before just sat at a black screen with all case lights and fans still on......force shutdown again....ram still at 3.5 at POST screen though it picks up 4 only 3.5 useable.....


EDIT2:
going to bed got work at 11am will read any posts before i go and reply then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #6
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Power plugged into the graphics card (if so equipped)?
Card seated well in slot, slot not full of kitty hair (my problem!)?

Some older mobo's (mostly those with nVidia chipsets) have issues with installing when all 4 gB are present - that's how the install with less became a useful tool.

I see problems with the Asus P5 series of boards and Windows 7 around the web. Most are solved by updating to the Windows 7 drivers that are now listed on the Asus website.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #7
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Since you're still viewing this thread I'll make a separate post:

I've also seen successes with upping the RAM voltages - but don't know enough about this to be of any help (but you can raise it high enough to damage the RAM - so be careful!).

Good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #8

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

The G/C power is plugged in and is working fine because i havnt touched it in ages. The mother board will be no more than 1 month old. ill try more when i get back form work

Thank you,

Braydon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #9

Windows 7 Professional X64
 
 

I think i might have an idea on the ram, ny comp says that my G/C gas 2GB shared memory, could taht be where the comp has dedicated another 512 there?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #10

W7U 64bit
 
 
Updated Bios now can`t load any windows

Hello I updated my bios on my ASUS M4A785-TD EVO Mother board, and I now can not get past the boot screen. I keep having to force a shut down and try to reload. No luck, the darn thing just keeps freezing on startup. I even tried to reinstall XP but that did just the same thing. I made a copy of my original bios settings but can not get the thing loaded up to reset them.
Has anyone got the slightest idea how I can sort this as I have run out of ideas.
Oh! one other thing I even disconnected the HDD and put another in so I could load XP onto a new drive, STILL NO LUCK.
A very frustrated Samurai.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BIOS Problems




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: BIOS Problems
Thread Forum
Solved Problems with Nvidia gpu post BIOS system BIOS update. Graphic Cards
Problems after Bios Downgrade Hardware & Devices
BIOS Problems General Discussion
USB (BIOS) Problems Hardware & Devices
Problems with USB 2.0 and Bios Hardware & Devices
Problems updating bios Drivers
Problems with BIOS A09 in Inspiron 1720 Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33