OK. I had originally marked this thread as solved but, it is far, far from solved. This has become an on going issue that seems to have no resolution whatsoever. If anybody could please help, I would much appreciate it.
Thanks to CreepinJesus for pointing me in some sort of direction. Things I have tried so far
1. Turned of the Wake on LAN feature in the BIOS. This has absolutely no effect whatsoever. The machine completely ignores this.
2. Disabled Wake on LAN feature for NIC in Device Manager.
3. Set keyboard and mouse to NOT be allowed to wake computer in Device Manager.
In the Event Viewer, I was seeing events from Google Update and Windows Sidebar occurring at the same time the network device was waking the machine up. so,
4. I disabled Google Update Services
5. Disabled Windows Sidebar Platform.
None of these things have worked!
I have been in e-mail contact with MAINGEAR tech-support and as well as the above, they have suggested the following:
1. Download the latest and greatest NIC driver from the motherboard manufactures website and completely uninstall and reinstall the NIC driver.
Computer says I have
the latest NIC driver. Intel's "Auto check" says the NIC driver I have installed is not recognized
. Weird considering it's an Intel NIC!
2. Go into BIOS and in the power settings, change the suspend type to its opposite. If its S1, make it S3 and vice versa.
There is no such setting to change suspend types in BIOS
3. Possibly contact Microsoft and see if there is a hotfix or known knowledge base article they can point you towards.
Nothing from Microsoft that I haven't already tried.
I've been at this all week (my week off work) and am at my wits end. I thought I had it semi solved as it went 16 hours without waking up. Today, however, It started waking, sleeping, waking, sleeping again. The event viewer shows nothing except that the network device is what's waking the machine. Why is this happening? I have Wake on LAN turned off in BIOS. The machine is ignoring this completely. I don't understand.
I want to think this is some software "phoning home" or something but, the Event Viewer is showing nothing. If the Wake on LAN feature is off in the BIOS, nothing should be able to wake the machine up, right? I don't know, Please help.