Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Stopped Booting

16 Aug 2011   #1
Dante19

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 
Windows Stopped Booting

I have two HDs on my desktop PC and Win 7 installed on both of them. Recently there have been issues when trying to load either copy of windows.

One tells me there is disk inconsistencies and the disk needs to be checked. The other loads up the startup repair and tells me it's been repaired and to reboot my PC. When I reboot my PC the same process repeats.

I tired reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows but all that did is give me three Windows 7 OS to choose from when it asks me which one to load.

At this point I don't care if I have to format both of my HDs, I'd just like to get a copy of Windows working. It's weird that both copies on separates HDs stopped booting, could it be a virus? Anyways, please advise.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Aug 2011   #2
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Try booting with only one HDD connected. If that one doesn't work, try the other one alone. Post back what you find.

An image of your Disk Management screen would help too.

But here's my question: What reason do you have to load W7 twice on the same machine?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2011   #3
Dante19

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 

I've installed Windows on two separate HDs because at one point Windows wouldn't boot. As a means to access my files on the HD that had Windows installed, I installed it on my other HD. A few days later the booting issue I had with the original HD/copy of windows ceased and I was able to load it normally.

When I unplug one HD, the main startup screen comes up (the one with my MOBOs manufacturer) then it changes to a black screen with a white "_" symbol that continuously blinks. I think this happens because it's not given a boot device priority. However, when entering BIOS and trying to change my boot device priority the HD that is left plugged doesn't show up. Maybe because it's not my primary HD?

When I unplug the other HD, the PC boots up just as I explained in my OP. Same issues persist.

Is there a way to just format one HD (without doing it through the Windows DVD) and try installing a fresh copy of Windows.

PS
How do I pull up my disk management screen without being able to load Windows?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Aug 2011   #4
Graemzy

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

if you are goin to format you could try doing it with an xp disk, i have had problems with tryin to format with 7 before,

if you have an xp disk, try format with that, then after the format pull the disk before it copies the xp files over, windows wont like this but just stick in the win7 disk and carry on from there!

as for the blinkin line, this happens when windwos is tryin to boot from a usb device for example, i guessing you hdd is usb, and there is no OS on the usb. this is from my experience so somebody please corrct me if im wrong and please explain!

maybe you windows files on that hdd have become corrupt and it is still tryin to boot from usb first!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2011   #5
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello.


Leave only the HDD with the Windows on you want to keep connected to the motherboard and set it as the second boot device after the CD/DVD drive, if that Windows 7 partition is not "System Active" in windows 7 disk management, make it so and do the 3 separate startup repairs to (re)create the Windows System boot files to that partition.


Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times


If you want to wipe secure erase the HDD to reinstall, have a look at this tutorial linked below.

Secure Erase / Wipe : Definition and Methods


My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2011   #6
gregrocker

 

Why is your Win7 messing up so easily? Are you doing lots of tweaking or mods which WIn7 will not tolerate?

What I would do is plug in one HD, boot the WIn7 installer to get a perfect install following these steps: Reinstalling Windows 7

After install, plug in the other HD and format it for storage, save a Win7 backup image there as soon as it's set up and running best.

Then don't do any tweaking or optimizing outside of normal System settings, Registry cleaners, questionable downloads, etc. The rest of the best-practices maintenance steps are in the steps I posted above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2011   #7
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Another question, do you have separate keys for each Windows 7 installation? The WAT, Windows Activation Technology may be hampering you.

I've seen the blinking cursor after POST when there is no bootmgr to be read.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2011   #8
Dante19

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Graemzy View Post
if you are goin to format you could try doing it with an xp disk, i have had problems with tryin to format with 7 before,

if you have an xp disk, try format with that, then after the format pull the disk before it copies the xp files over, windows wont like this but just stick in the win7 disk and carry on from there!

as for the blinkin line, this happens when windwos is tryin to boot from a usb device for example, i guessing you hdd is usb, and there is no OS on the usb. this is from my experience so somebody please corrct me if im wrong and please explain!

maybe you windows files on that hdd have become corrupt and it is still tryin to boot from usb first!
The HD is not USB, it's plugged in via SATA which is the same way the other HD is plugged in. No idea why it's not recognizing in the boot device priority in my bios.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello.


Leave only the HDD with the Windows on you want to keep connected to the motherboard and set it as the second boot device after the CD/DVD drive, if that Windows 7 partition is not "System Active" in windows 7 disk management, make it so and do the 3 separate startup repairs to (re)create the Windows System boot files to that partition.


Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times


If you want to wipe secure erase the HDD to reinstall, have a look at this tutorial linked below.

Secure Erase / Wipe : Definition and Methods


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Why is your Win7 messing up so easily? Are you doing lots of tweaking or mods which WIn7 will not tolerate?

What I would do is plug in one HD, boot the WIn7 installer to get a perfect install following these steps: Reinstalling Windows 7

After install, plug in the other HD and format it for storage, save a Win7 backup image there as soon as it's set up and running best.

Then don't do any tweaking or optimizing outside of normal System settings, Registry cleaners, questionable downloads, etc. The rest of the best-practices maintenance steps are in the steps I posted above.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Another question, do you have separate keys for each Windows 7 installation? The WAT, Windows Activation Technology may be hampering you.

I've seen the blinking cursor after POST when there is no bootmgr to be read.

I ended up formatting both HDs through the Win 7 installation process and I was able to install a fresh copy without any issues. I've honestly no idea what happened or what could have caused the issue. The PC belongs to the old folks and they certainly don't know how to tweak and mess around with the OS, they use it mainly for paying bills, browsing the net, emails, etc.

Anyways all seems to be working now, it's a shame I lost all their files through the format but such is life. Thanks all for your replies and help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2011   #9
gregrocker

 

We're sorry you lost the files too.

Normally if we'd known you had stranded files and were going to reinstall we'd have let you know you can copy your files out of a non-booting OS using free Paragon Rescue CD or the Win7 Repair CD: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console

But we hadn't gotten that far yet.

Hope you got the perfect install suggested. Save the backup image and keep the folks files backed up to the secondary HD using scheduled Windows Backups and you'll have it much easier next time. We can guide you.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Backup User and System Files
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2011   #10
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Yeah, sorry about your files, but glad you have a working system now.
Next time ask about something so severe, there may be some work around.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Stopped Booting




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows has stopped booting. Advice needed please!
My PC has two SATA drives, for storage, and two 128GB SSDs. One of the SSDs has Microsoft Flight Simulator (FS9) installed on it. The second is divided into two partitions: the first has the O/S, the second Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX). The first sign of trouble was when aircraft fuselage...
General Discussion
Windows 7 suddenly stopped booting.
Hi! In this form I hope to solve PC errors, thanks for the help everyone! I've a lot of PCs, all of whom have Windows 7 Enterprise and XP dual boot. Nowadays, suddenly in many PCs both the OSs stopped booting, but I'll query about Windows 7 in this forum. When Windows 7 starts to boot,...
General Discussion
Installing linux distribution has stopped windows 7 booting
I was trying to install a ubuntu distribution to my primary hard drive (along side Windows 7) and at 99% of copying files the setup reported there was not sufficient memory to install backtrack. I cannot boot back into windows 7 as the computer resets before getting past the boot screen (shows...
Installation & Setup
win 7 has stopped booting .. what are my options ?
HI, I have an advent verona netbook which had win7 installed from new. recently it was becoming very sluggish, this was followed by it not responding at all and all i could do was boot into safe mode. Now it will only boot to the recovery options (startup repair) and regardless of what i...
BSOD Help and Support
Computer stopped booting
Hello everyone! My computer has Win7 Pro x64 and XP in dual-boot, and recently Win7 started going slow when watching mkv videos, and one day it completely lagged to hell, so I rebooted, but it won't boot again, it goes to system repair, but it fails, error found is : ...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 stopped booting; Can't repair.
I searched the threads for an existing post and I couldn't find one that matched my problem. Sorry if a solution has already been posted somewhere. I have a new Acer 1410 w/ 4GB of DDR2 memory and a 1.6 CULV processor. It came with Vista Home Premium installed, but I downloaded Windows 7...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App