Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Strange Window is appearing on Startup

22 Aug 2011   #31
gregrocker

 

Temp files cleanup may have gotten rid of the file and hence it's listing in msconfig.

Manually delete the Temp files under all Users' appdata.

Have you achieved a Clean Boot yet following the steps I gave earlier to uncheck everything in Startup except AV and gadgets? The rest are freeloaders on your RAM, CPU, Startup and can spy on you and cause problems.

When you hide MS services, is anything now showing in msconfig>Services? If so turn it off in Program Prefs. Check back to see nothing sneaks back in either list..


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Aug 2011   #32
depthcharge

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, LINUX MINT 14 NADIA 64 BIT CINNAMON EDITION
 
 

IŽd suggest you to use super anti spyware and run a full system check in safe mode. Then reboot try this fix as explained in this link.Then reboot again. File Association Fixes for Windows 7 - The Winhelponline Blog
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #33
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

The fact that items remains in msconfig after disabling them is normal, what is unusual is that it changed names. However, if it doesn't get re-enabled somehow (re-checked), then it shouldn't be a factor. Still, if it bugs you, I think that you could use StartupCPL, as I mentioned back in post 15 to remove it altogether.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2011   #34
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Look in 'services', type services.misc in the start search box. If you see anything that might be related, right click ... choose properties, make sure it's disabled, and find the full path to delete it. You will see the full path in that same window.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #35
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #36
pan

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
The fact that items remains in msconfig after disabling them is normal, what is unusual is that it changed names. However, if it doesn't get re-enabled somehow (re-checked), then it shouldn't be a factor. Still, if it bugs you, I think that you could use StartupCPL, as I mentioned back in post 15 to remove it altogether.

StartupCPL doesn't install properly on my computer. The installer gave some error. I don't think it was designed for windows 7 either, as it doesn't mention that it supports it. Any other similar applications?

But i'm starting to think that the problem is resolved, since the popup no longer appears and the thing isn't rechecking itself in msconfig, and the path that it should be at in msconfig doesn't have the registry file in it like msconfig says it should. What do you guys think? Does that sound like evidence of a resolved problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2011   #37
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Quote:
Startup Control Panel is compatible with all modern versions of Windows, including Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP
Not for Win7, unless you can run it in XP "compatible" mode. (I haven't tried it)

Quote:
Hi Pan,

Those HKCU are registry references. Can you browse to "C:Users\Stephen....."as per the second image you attached, and see if those files are in that location?

BulletStorm is a first-person shooter game. Did you download this, or install it from a DVD/CD?

Regards,
Golden
You never answered Golden's question ...... Hard to help when so many questions are asked, and the 'pertinent' one's are ignored
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2011   #38
pan

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Quote:
Startup Control Panel is compatible with all modern versions of Windows, including Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP
Not for Win7, unless you can run it in XP "compatible" mode. (I haven't tried it)

Quote:
Hi Pan,

Those HKCU are registry references. Can you browse to "C:Users\Stephen....."as per the second image you attached, and see if those files are in that location?

BulletStorm is a first-person shooter game. Did you download this, or install it from a DVD/CD?

Regards,
Golden
You never answered Golden's question ...... Hard to help when so many questions are asked, and the 'pertinent' one's are ignored
See post #20 for my response to all of his questions posed....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2011   #39
gregrocker

 

After running another Full scan with updated Malwarebytes, then an AV scan with MS Security Essentials which has replaced AVG bloatware, I think you can stop worrying.

Is it possible someone else who uses the computer downloaded the game? This is what occurred with another People Can Fly game here last week which had a similar Startup Reg Key and coincided with a major infection which Malwarebytes could only completely delete when when I killed the reg key.

How is overall performance?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2011   #40
pan

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
After running another Full scan with updated Malwarebytes, then an AV scan with MS Security Essentials which has replaced AVG bloatware, I think you can stop worrying.

Is it possible someone else who uses the computer downloaded the game? This is what occurred with another People Can Fly game here last week which had a similar Startup Reg Key and coincided with a major infection which Malwarebytes could only completely delete when when I killed the reg key.

How is overall performance?

I did what you said and yeah still nothing is appearing so I think the issue is fixed. I haven't really experienced anything that unusual since the issue has been "resovled", and I've done a lot to my computer over the last couple days. Regardless, I'll post back if anything serious happens. Thanks for all of the help everybody.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Strange Window is appearing on Startup




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Incoming Mail Message Content NOT Appearing in Viewing Window
All of a sudden I'm getting new email messages in the listing of new and unread emails but there is nothing at times over in the right side main viewing area. Am I clear here? I show email arriving by subject and sender but NO message is shown in the right window. This sometimes goes away when I...
Browsers & Mail
BSOD keeps appearing during startup
I need help, last night i have trouble on my usb drivers, and i assumed if i install windows update, it wll solve the problem. During the installation, i stopped it for i will sleep. The morning after, i opened my laptop, but during the startup (Starting windows) blue screen will appear. And then...
BSOD Help and Support
Strange search bar appearing when browsing internet?
It happens when I search on wikipedia and several other sites (suprisingly, Google is unaffected). I posted pictures of a "sample" search (literally) and the settings box for this intruding search tool. I checked and I don't have AcPro (Autocompletepro) or Complitly on my machine (both are by the...
Software
program main window is not appearing (it's not misplaced either)
The window for a program I'm using (Geany IDE) doesn't appear at all. It's not minimized, it's not hidden, it's just not there. I start the program, it loads and appears in the taskbar but the main window doesn't appear. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Geany, I've wiped the stored window...
Software
Icons Appearing on Startup
Hi, Every time I startup my machine a number of icons are placed on the desktop. And each time I dutifully remove them. However next time I startup, there they are back again. This is clearly a company "policy" but I never use these icons. Can anyone help me as to what I can do to stop...
Customization
Strange blue bar appearing
Hi, I have an HP HDX Premium Series laptop (model # x16-1354CA) with Windows 7 x64 installed. Ever since I installed it, I've been getting this small blue bar (almost like a status bar) in the center of my screen. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like. It flickers, and then disables...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App