Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Focus is not on folders/files when explorer window opens

04 Sep 2011   #11
SundRance

Windows 7 Pro 32bit / Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I don't use favorites. If you HAVE a favorite that opens Windows Explorer, can you not select its properties and use the path as stated above?

I did away with favorites right after I updated to Windows 7. Didn't care for the feature.

Best Wishes and happy holidays.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Sep 2011   #12
Rave79x

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SundRance View Post
I don't use favorites. If you HAVE a favorite that opens Windows Explorer, can you not select its properties and use the path as stated above?

I did away with favorites right after I updated to Windows 7. Didn't care for the feature.

Best Wishes and happy holidays.
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the Favourite folders displayed at the top of the left panel in Windows Explorer. I thought this was a new feature of Vista/7.

I used your method to create a link to one of my favourite folders. The link works fine from the desktop. I can also place it in the taskbar. But explorer displays "Cannot place in Favourites" when the item is hovering over the left panel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2011   #13
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rave79x View Post
Thanks. Indeed the focus is in the right window but am really hoping for a solution for the favourites links. I tried placing the link in the favourites list but Win7 doesn't allow it.

If anyone can think of anything, I will reply after my holiday (19th).

TIA,
R.
If you press Tab focus shifts to the right panel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Sep 2011   #14
Rave79x

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rave79x View Post
Thanks. Indeed the focus is in the right window but am really hoping for a solution for the favourites links. I tried placing the link in the favourites list but Win7 doesn't allow it.

If anyone can think of anything, I will reply after my holiday (19th).

TIA,
R.
If you press Tab focus shifts to the right panel.
OK thanks.

I still think this is a bug or a design flaw. If you've clicked a favourite, it's highly likely the action you want to take next is within the main folders panel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2011   #15
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rave79x View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rave79x View Post
Thanks. Indeed the focus is in the right window but am really hoping for a solution for the favourites links. I tried placing the link in the favourites list but Win7 doesn't allow it.

If anyone can think of anything, I will reply after my holiday (19th).

TIA,
R.
If you press Tab focus shifts to the right panel.
OK thanks.

I still think this is a bug or a design flaw. If you've clicked a favourite, it's highly likely the action you want to take next is within the main folders panel.
I agree.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2011   #16
SundRance

Windows 7 Pro 32bit / Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I also was talking abou the favorites in Windows Explorer. I DID NOT care for the feature and disabled it. while I still use Libraries - why I do not know - in Windows Explorer, I removed the favorites folders. I rarely use Libraries either and should probably just remove those too ...

Maybe that is why the focus loads in the right pane for me?

Farewell,
RȘnce
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Focus is not on folders/files when explorer window opens




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Explorer opens a new window every time I open a folder
Hi there, I've been searching a lot, trying to find a solution to this problem, but no solution. The problem is that, when I open a folder, explorer will allways open a new window, and I end up with lots of windows, which becomes really annoying. Also, nothing happens when I change folders...
General Discussion
explorer crashes when opening folders or window
whenever i open a folder like my computer, control panel, or any kinds that opens a new window my desktop/explorer.exe crashes and this appears PLS I NEED TO SOLVE THIS help meee!! i just need the easiest way to do this
General Discussion
Windows Explorer opens to a blank window until hitting F5
Hey all, first post! I work in IT for a hotel management company, and one of our brand new Lenovo desktop PC's (Win7 Pro x64) has an intermittent issue. All Windows Updates have been applied as of yesterday. Sometimes when she logs into her PC in the AM, she'll open Windows Explorer to get to...
General Discussion
Default area selected for folders in explorer window??
:cool: So i have created some shortcuts to quicklaunch certain folders. Some of them open and i can use the arrow keys to scroll through the items in the folder. Some of them open with the "Name" column selected, so the arrow keys don't initially scroll through the items in the folder. ...
General Discussion
Explorer Problem (opens in new window)
Is there any way to fix this? :sarc: When I open Computer in the start menu and double click on an item it opens in a new window. :sarc: I tried to open `Organize`, press `Folder and search options` and select `Open each folder in the same window`, but it doesn`t work! :cry: I can still use...
General Discussion
Explorer always opens each folder in new window
The default action for double-clicking a folder in Explorer is to open that folder in a new window. The only way to get it to open in the same window is to right click and select Open. I have looked for specific registry edits, but my only results seemed to only apply to Vista or XP. Please...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App