Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Focus is not on folders/files when explorer window opens


01 Sep 2011   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Focus is not on folders/files when explorer window opens

Hi,

In XP, if I opened up a folder, I could start typing and the folders/files list view would jump down according to the letters I typed in.

In Windows 7, this does not happen - the focus remains in the left panel (i.e. Favourites, Libraries, Homegroup etc).

Does anyone know if there is a fix to make the focus switch to folders/files when a folder opens?

TIA,

R.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Sep 2011   #2

 
 

Are you referring to AutoComplete or Auto Suggest in Windows Explorer? Take a look at these tutorials:

WINDOWS EXPLORER – AUTO COMPLETE – FOR ADDRESS BAR
Windows Explorer AutoComplete - Turn On or Off

WINDOWS EXPLORER – AUTO SUGGEST – FOR ADDRESS BAR
Windows Explorer Auto Suggest - Turn On or Off

WINDOWS EXPLORER – AUTO COMPLETE – FOR SEARCH BOX
Recent ‘Search Box’ Suggestions - Enable or Disable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
Are you referring to AutoComplete or Auto Suggest in Windows Explorer? Take a look at these tutorials:

WINDOWS EXPLORER – AUTO COMPLETE – FOR ADDRESS BAR
Windows Explorer AutoComplete - Turn On or Off

WINDOWS EXPLORER – AUTO SUGGEST – FOR ADDRESS BAR
Windows Explorer Auto Suggest - Turn On or Off

WINDOWS EXPLORER – AUTO COMPLETE – FOR SEARCH BOX
Recent ‘Search Box’ Suggestions - Enable or Disable
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

But no, I'm not referring to either.

I am talking about Windows Explorer. Like I say, in Windows XP, if you open any folder in Explorer, then start typing the folders/files list view would jump down according to the letters I typed in.

For example, let's pretend i open a folder that has 1000 sub folders within it: 001, 002, 003, 004 etc. Obviously, you couldn't see all those folders at once. So the moment the parent folder was opened, if I typed, say 788, the view would jump down and folder number "788" would be visible and highlighted.

For this to happen, the focus (Focus (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) needs to be on the files/folder panel. This does not happen in Windows 7.

Can anyone help?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Sep 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Odd - mine opens with focus on the main window like you want, but I'm not sure how to change what gets focussed first. But seeing as we have differing results, I guess that's good news: somewhere is a setting to change initial focus!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #5

 
 

Hmmmm, when I open a folder in Windows Explorer and do a search, I enter the letters in the Search Box, and all of the relevant files start displaying (not just the 'recent' ones, but all of them), just as you described. Perhaps you'd better take a look at this tutorial again: Recent ‘Search Box’ Suggestions - Enable or Disable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CreepinJesus View Post
Odd - mine opens with focus on the main window like you want, but I'm not sure how to change what gets focussed first. But seeing as we have differing results, I guess that's good news: somewhere is a setting to change initial focus!
Thanks for replying. Does this happen when you click on a folder from the favourites panel on the left?

Just for reference, the focus remains within the left panel, after I click a favourites folder.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
Hmmmm, when I open a folder in Windows Explorer and do a search, I enter the letters in the Search Box, and all of the relevant files start displaying (not just the 'recent' ones, but all of them), just as you described. Perhaps you'd better take a look at this tutorial again: Recent ‘Search Box’ Suggestions - Enable or Disable
Thanks for replying, but what I'm talking about does not relate to search. Search filters results from the folder (and sub folders). You'll have to re-read my second attempt at explaining to see what I mean.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rave79x View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CreepinJesus View Post
Odd - mine opens with focus on the main window like you want, but I'm not sure how to change what gets focussed first. But seeing as we have differing results, I guess that's good news: somewhere is a setting to change initial focus!
Thanks for replying. Does this happen when you click on a folder from the favourites panel on the left?

Just for reference, the focus remains within the left panel, after I click a favourites folder.
When I click on a favourite, focus goes to the left panel where the favourites are.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2011   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

OK thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2011   #9

Windows 7 Pro 32bit / Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

What about making a shortcut to Explorer:

%windir%\explorer.exe C:\Users\ACCOUNT NAME\Documents\

Above is the pinned shortcut on my task bar. This opens Windows Explorer at Account Name\My Documents and the focus IS in the right hand pane.

You might try just running the comman in the Run box first. If it works, you can modify the shortcut you use to open Explorer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2011   #10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Thanks. Indeed the focus is in the right window but am really hoping for a solution for the favourites links. I tried placing the link in the favourites list but Windows 7 doesn't allow it.

If anyone can think of anything, I will reply after my holiday (19th).

TIA,
R.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Focus is not on folders/files when explorer window opens




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Focus is not on folders/files when explorer window opens
Thread Forum
Solved Explorer opens a new window every time I open a folder General Discussion
Window 7 explorer search .rar files General Discussion
Mouse opens a window, however cannot click inside the window. Hardware & Devices
Solved window explorer shuts down when opening certain mkv files General Discussion
Default area selected for folders in explorer window?? General Discussion
Explorer Problem (opens in new window) General Discussion
Explorer always opens each folder in new window Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33