Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7


28 Jul 2009   #1
jc4gavejc

Windows 7 RC build 7100
 
 
Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7

Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7 are going to be released about the same time; how does everyone think each release will affect the other?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #2
masterB

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I'll get both of them
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #3
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Well, Ubuntu is released every 6 months and is usually in high demand by Linux users. Honestly, neither is going to impact the other as far as I am concerned.

I'm a LInux and a Windows user...and Ubuntu is my linux desktop distro of choice...so I plan to download and use it. I'm currently using 9.04.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #4
Mark Phelps

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

Since I currently run both Seven and Ubuntu 9.04, I think I can say that neither release is going to "affect the other". However ...

I have already installed Seven in dual-boot mode on a tablet PC that I upgraded to Vista and have been nothing but unhappy with that choice. I then installed Ubuntu 8.04 on that same PC and was very impressed with the features, especially given that fact that it was FREE!!!

However ...

Since then I have been using Seven on that same tablet, and am even more impressed that (1) all of the XP drivers work in compatibility mode, (2) all of the Vista apps work without changes, (3) am back to using Office 2007, especially OneNote and Journal, for which there are only rough equivalents in the Linux world.

So, in my case, I'm planning on switching back to MS Windows on the tablet PC when Seven comes out commercially. Have read nothing in the planned features for Ubuntu 9.10 that will change that.

Also ...

On my main desktop PC, I'm also using Seven and Ubuntu 9.04. I'll certainly upgrade that to 9.10, but unless it comes with some major new features, I'll probably still continue using Seven primarily.

Folks comfortable with MS Windows will most probably upgrade to Seven; those familiar with Ubuntu, to 9.10 -- and I really doubt many folks will switch sides. So, I guess this my long way of saying that I don't think either release is going to measurably affect the other.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #5
swarfega

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Tbh I dont think itl dent Windows that much. You have two camps, those who love linux, and those who love windows and also need compatibility for games and other software. Sure there will be some people wishing to try a new OS (I might be one of them).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #6
masterB

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
Folks comfortable with MS Windows will most probably upgrade to Seven; those familiar with Ubuntu, to 9.10 -- and I really doubt many folks will switch sides. So, I guess this my long way of saying that I don't think either release is going to measurably affect the other.
I don't think they will switch but I see more and more people dual booting W7 and Ubuntu. I saw laptops with Ubuntu for sale in BestBuy store and people starting to like it a lot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #7
wwoods

Vista64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jc4gavejc View Post
Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7 are going to be released about the same time; how does everyone think each release will affect the other?
When and IF (and thats a HUGE IF) any linsux distro works out of the box without me tweeking config files, AND runs all the software and hardware I have connected to my system, I will consider putting it on my $2400 laptop, untill then....not a chance of useing any linsux distro. If I want a UNIX system, I have plenty real ones at work.

Why would I put a VW engine in my Lamborghini of a laptop ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #8
bigcitycat

Windows Seven, Ubuntu
 
 

Ubuntu sucks. I really don't want to go out and buy a new printer so I'll stick with what actually works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #9
masterB

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wwoods View Post
When and IF (and thats a HUGE IF) any linsux distro works out of the box without me tweeking config files, AND runs all the software and hardware I have connected to my system, I will consider putting it on my $2400 laptop, untill then....not a chance of useing any linsux distro. If I want a UNIX system, I have plenty real ones at work.

Why would I put a VW engine in my Lamborghini of a laptop ?
Installing a new OS is fun for me. Maybe you don't like to have fun.

I can buy right now about 4 nice laptops with that money and have 4 different OS on them.

Ubuntu does have a lot of programs and drivers included in installation.
I spend more time installing and config. Windows then Ubuntu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #10
wwoods

Vista64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by masterB View Post
Installing a new OS is fun for me. Maybe you don't like to have fun.

I can buy right now about 4 nice laptops with that money and have 4 different OS on them.

Ubuntu does have a lot of programs and drivers included in installation.
I spend more time installing and config. Windows then Ubuntu.
Yes I like to have fun...but thats not what I consider fun. And yes, you could buy about 4 nice laptop for what I paid, but I gaurentee they wouldent come near this ones performance....and I dident want a nice laptop, I wanted a GREAT laptop, and was willing to pay a premium for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7
Thread Forum
Solved Can not delete Ubuntu partition after uninstalling Ubuntu Backup and Restore
Windows 7 and Ubuntu General Discussion
Help ubuntu to windows 7 Installation & Setup
Help! Installed Ubuntu, deleted the Ubuntu Partitions. No boot! Installation & Setup
Windows 7 +ubuntu Installation & Setup
Ubuntu and Windows 7 Anyone? Chillout Room
dual boot w/ Ubuntu, need to uninstall Ubuntu Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App