Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ctrl-Alt-Delete Not working at logon

16 Sep 2011   #1
who922

Windows 7 Profession 64 bit
 
 
Ctrl-Alt-Delete Not working at logon

I have seen this question asked, but none of them fit my problem. I am working with a laptop on the domain. Win7 Pro, 32 bit, new Lenovo laptop. When the computer starts up I get the log in screen, but ctrl-alt-delete will not work. I bring up the onscreen keyboard and I can push Ctrl-alt-delete and then log in as usual. Once I am in, I can run ctrl-alt-delete and it works fine. It is only at logon. I changed the ctrl-alt-delte settings and still nothing! I have spent way too long on this issue! Any ideas?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Oct 2011   #2
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by who922 View Post
I have seen this question asked, but none of them fit my problem. I am working with a laptop on the domain. Win7 Pro, 32 bit, new Lenovo laptop. When the computer starts up I get the log in screen, but ctrl-alt-delete will not work. I bring up the onscreen keyboard and I can push Ctrl-alt-delete and then log in as usual. Once I am in, I can run ctrl-alt-delete and it works fine. It is only at logon. I changed the ctrl-alt-delte settings and still nothing! I have spent way too long on this issue! Any ideas?
I am not sure what you mean exactly. When I boot the computer it goes all the way to the desktop and I do not have to hit Control-Alt-Delete. When it is asking for you to hit it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2011   #3
who922

Windows 7 Profession 64 bit
 
 

We are using a Windows server/active directory environment. When the computer first boots it comes to the Windows log on screen which asks you to enter ctrl-alt-delte so that you can log in. Ctrl-alt-delete will not work there at all with the keyboard. I have to put up the on screen keyboard and use the mouse to put in ctrl-alt-delete. Then I can log in normally. Any time ctrl-alt-delte is needed once you are logged in (task manager, password change, etc) it works fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Oct 2011   #4
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Hello who922, is the keyboard powering up at the log in screen? It may need a tweak in the BIOS since it is a new machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2011   #5
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by who922 View Post
We are using a Windows server/active directory environment. When the computer first boots it comes to the Windows log on screen which asks you to enter ctrl-alt-delte so that you can log in. Ctrl-alt-delete will not work there at all with the keyboard. I have to put up the on screen keyboard and use the mouse to put in ctrl-alt-delete. Then I can log in normally. Any time ctrl-alt-delte is needed once you are logged in (task manager, password change, etc) it works fine.
Give this a try, it sounds a bit weird but has worked with similiar problems. == If your USB keyboard is plugged into the back of the PC in a card, try plugging it in the front of the PC. There should be a USB slot in the front of the machine near the power button. Plug it in there and reboot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2011   #6
who922

Windows 7 Profession 64 bit
 
 

Those are both very good ideas, but....remember it's a Lenovo laptop. Possibly the BIOS answer might still be useable. What tweaks would you suggest?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2011   #7
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by who922 View Post
Those are both very good ideas, but....remember it's a Lenovo laptop. Possibly the BIOS answer might still be useable. What tweaks would you suggest?
Oh, laptop, right. I was thinking the BIOS has a setting to enable legacy USB, but in your case that shouldn't be the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2015   #8
Rissan

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
 
 

Did you check the BIOS. When you check the setup, and look under keyboard setting make sure the checkbox for Swap FN with CTRL key isn't filled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ctrl-Alt-Delete Not working at logon




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Copy Past ctrl c and ctrl v not working no more
Good afternoon all, Happy halloween I m on Windows 7 based asus laptop and i have Oracle virtual box installed with as a system Windows XP. Since a few weeks ctrl c and ctrl v doesn't work no more. I used to copy text from my system to the virtual box system but this doesn t work no more. I...
Performance & Maintenance
Ctrl shift delete isn't working in firefox
So I just tried the ctrl shift delete thing in firefox and it isn't working. I have version 34.0.5
Browsers & Mail
Secure Logon - Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to log on
How to Enable or Disable Secure Log On CTRL+ALT+DELETE in Windows 7 This will show you how to enable or disable having to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE before being able to enter your log on credentials in the Windows 7 log on screen. Using secure logon provides an additional layer of security for...
Tutorials
Ctrl Alt Del on Logon
Hi Guys Could use some help. Here is my situation. I have just added an employee onto the domain after formatting and re-configuring her new machine. Once added i rebooted to configure the new settings.
General Discussion
CTRL ALT DEL logon screen
At work, we use Windows XP. When we boot up the machine, it comes to a screen that requires us to press ctrl alt del and then enter both our username and password. The usernames never shows on the screen when you do ctrl alt del, you have to manually type it in. Are there instructions on how...
General Discussion
No logon screen after ctrl alt delete windows 7
Hi guys, kinda new here and wan't to get rid of my annoying problem. after a bad shutdown (hard) my laptop acted strange the very next morning. windows loads up perfect and comes into the CTRL - ALT - DELETE screen. after pressing these buttons, normally i must type my password but since my...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App