Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Small folder problem, bit of help needed!

03 Oct 2011   #1
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 
Small folder problem, bit of help needed!

Okay, so I done a clean install of Windows 7. Wanted my Downloads and My Documents folder moved from the SSD to the HDD. So I created a Users folder on D (the HDD) and inside that created a folder using my name 'Brett' as is on C (the SSD). I then went to the Downloads folder on C, right clicked, Properties, Location then Move. That went well except it didn't move into the 'Brett' folder, it kind of became the 'Brett' folder. Inside the Users folder was Downloads, the 'Brett' folder was gone. Not thinking it was a big deal, I do the same for My Documents, then the Downloads folder ends up inside the My Documents folder.

Long story short, my Downloads folder has now renamed itself to Brett and isn't working correctly. I managed to restore My Documents back to C, but the downloads one is pretty much gone.

So onto the question. I was wondering if there was a way of making a new proper Downloads folder like the one that originally exists inside of C:\Users\Brett so it'll all be as if I never messed with any of it (without reinstalling Windows!)

Thanks for any help!

Edit: When I try to create a normal folder titled 'Downloads' I get this pop up:



Any idea what I've done wrong?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Oct 2011   #2
xxxdannyxxx

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Hi Anesthetize

Best bet is to restore them back first - User Folders - Restore Default Location

Then create your folder Brett on your HDD as you did before.However this time when you right click/change location navigate to inside your Brett folder and create a new folder My Documents and use that.(Works best if the name is identical as the folder name your moving) When prompted to move files click yes.Do the same for any other user folders you want to move. - User Folders - Change Default Location

Danny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #3
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xxxdannyxxx View Post
Hi Anesthetize

Best bet is to restore them back first - User Folders - Restore Default Location

Then create your folder Brett on your HDD as you did before.However this time when you right click/change location navigate to inside your Brett folder and create a new folder My Documents and use that.(Works best if the name is identical as the folder name your moving) When prompted to move files click yes.Do the same for any other user folders you want to move. - User Folders - Change Default Location

Danny
Ah, that's it. Cheers buddy. Unfortunately, I was in a bit of a rush, and went ahead and reinstalled Windows while waiting for a reply, which is now giving me a different issue. But I'll keep this in mind when doing it again next time, as I have done it before, but forgot to create the addition folders with the same names as the ones I'm moving into those locations.

Just to confirm, inside the Brett folder, I need to make a My Documents folder to move the original My Documents folder into, and the same for Downloads etc.?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Oct 2011   #4
xxxdannyxxx

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anesthetize View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xxxdannyxxx View Post
Hi Anesthetize

Best bet is to restore them back first - User Folders - Restore Default Location

Then create your folder Brett on your HDD as you did before.However this time when you right click/change location navigate to inside your Brett folder and create a new folder My Documents and use that.(Works best if the name is identical as the folder name your moving) When prompted to move files click yes.Do the same for any other user folders you want to move. - User Folders - Change Default Location

Danny
Ah, that's it. Cheers buddy. Unfortunately, I was in a bit of a rush, and went ahead and reinstalled Windows while waiting for a reply, which is now giving me a different issue. But I'll keep this in mind when doing it again next time, as I have done it before, but forgot to create the addition folders with the same names as the ones I'm moving into those locations.

Just to confirm, inside the Brett folder, I need to make a My Documents folder to move the original My Documents folder into, and the same for Downloads etc.?
Yes that's right mate.If I were you create your Brett folder, then create all the folders inside that you want to move (I move them all) using the same name as the originals(just makes things easy)then begin changing locations using your new folders.

Regards Danny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #5
Anesthetize

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Excellent, cheers buddy. I appreciate it! Got my other issue resolved, so I'll get on and do this folder malarky tomorrow

Thanks again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2011   #6
xxxdannyxxx

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anesthetize View Post
Excellent, cheers buddy. I appreciate it! Got my other issue resolved, so I'll get on and do this folder malarky tomorrow

Thanks again!
Good luck, post back with your results

Danny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Small folder problem, bit of help needed!




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Force Small Icons folder view to sort downward in columns?
I've done a couple of searches for terms I thought might be relevant to my question but didn't turn up anything that looked helpful. I need Folder List view but badly want to use seven-forums' awesome auto-arrange solution, which won't work with the gutted win7 list view. I've been giving Small...
Customization
New Desktop needed -- Domestic desktop or small Server ??
Hi all Strange request this one -- I need a new Desktop / Workstation -- needs to be a fixed workstation. I've got plenty of spare disk drives and memory modules and I don't need to buy a monitor. From what I've seen so far it seems I can get a MUCH better deal on buying a Low end Robust...
Hardware & Devices
Small problem
Have fitted a Seagate Barracuda 500GB ST3500413AS in addition to my Samsung 103j Spinpoint as it from new (6 weeks) has been noisy. Howvere I have put in the Seagate but it isn't showing on my Computer readout as anything - anything I've done wrong? The board is Gigabyte h67A-UD3H-B3 and...
Hardware & Devices
Small problem
Hey guys, This problem has been bothering me for a long time. I've uploaded pictures to show.. In the picture I have uploaded here; http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc364/Urban_sOlja/taskbar1.png you'll see that yellow exclamation mark sign by the internet icon. But in this picture;...
Network & Sharing
Small blue arrow pointing downward on a folder
Hi guys i have a folder on my hard drive with a little blue arrow pointing downwards and when i try to delete it it says this fole=der is not on this hard drivebut if i click on the folder i can then delete the files in the folder but but not the folder itself. Hope someone can help
General Discussion
Small problem/bug with the taskbar.Help needed.
So I have Firefox pinned to the task bar and every time I click on it nothing happens.Have to wait 10 sec and then it starts.If I click to time it's starts right up but after 10 another one starts. Ideas to fix this.I'm using the RC1.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App