Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Data Overwriting Not Working?

11 Oct 2011   #11
arkhi

Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195
 
 

It's a command line utility. I'm pretty sure it can run on a PE environment. Window's Startup Repair is a quick and good one. Just put it on a folder you can access easily like the root of a drive so you can type something like

Code:
cd /d C:
sdelete blahblah



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Oct 2011   #12
hummer1730

Windows 6 Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
It's a command line utility. I'm pretty sure it can run on a PE environment. Window's Startup Repair is a quick and good one. Just put it on a folder you can access easily like the root of a drive so you can type something like

Code:
cd /d C:
sdelete blahblah
Alright, I'll give that a shot if this bootloader I'm making doesn't work out. Thanks.

Not very good with the command line :S.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2011   #13
hummer1730

Windows 6 Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
It's a command line utility. I'm pretty sure it can run on a PE environment. Window's Startup Repair is a quick and good one. Just put it on a folder you can access easily like the root of a drive so you can type something like

Code:
cd /d C:
sdelete blahblah
Hey, when using sdelete, should I just type what you said or use the -z command listed in this guide?
http://www.guidingtech.com/2834/sdel...windows-files/


Something like
-z C: -p 3?
or
sdelete -c -p 3
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Oct 2011   #14
arkhi

Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195
 
 

Thank you for pointing that out. I usually assume that some people have a certain degree of knowledge because apparently, some users get offended when I go to too much detail, thinking that I think they are stupid when I'm just being informative...

Anyway, to use this in an off-line command line, I would put the sdelete file on the root of an extra drive. Then, I would Boot to Startup Repair using either a Win7 installation disk, or pressing F8 crazily when booting up Windows. If there's a system recovery partition on your drive, there should be a "Repair your Computer" option you could use.

Next, I would select the command prompt as a system recovery option. Note we're not actually recovering anything. We're just exploiting Windows 7's nice little feature

Next, confirm the drive letter you placed your sdelete file in, and the drive letter you want to do a safe delete on. To do this, in the command prompt, I would type notepad, then press Ctrl+O when notepad is open, click Computer, and then look for the drive that has the file (selecting "All Files" under the drop down menu where the *.txt extension is listed helps too)

After I found the drive, I would close notepad and change the command prompt to that drive sdelete is in. Let's assume it's D:. I would type:
Code:
cd /d D:\
Then I would do the wiping. Let's assume the disk is C:. I would type:
Code:
sdelete -p 3 -c C:
And that's it!

Oh, one more example. To delete ALL FILES on C: and securely wipe them, [BE CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE! You don't want to accidentally wipe your main hard drive ]
Code:
sdelete -p 3 -c C:\*
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2011   #15
hummer1730

Windows 6 Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
Thank you for pointing that out. I usually assume that some people have a certain degree of knowledge because apparently, some users get offended when I go to too much detail, thinking that I think they are stupid when I'm just being informative...

Anyway, to use this in an off-line command line, I would put the sdelete file on the root of an extra drive. Then, I would Boot to Startup Repair using either a Win7 installation disk, or pressing F8 crazily when booting up Windows. If there's a system recovery partition on your drive, there should be a "Repair your Computer" option you could use.

Next, I would select the command prompt as a system recovery option. Note we're not actually recovering anything. We're just exploiting Windows 7's nice little feature

Next, confirm the drive letter you placed your sdelete file in, and the drive letter you want to do a safe delete on. To do this, in the command prompt, I would type notepad, then press Ctrl+O when notepad is open, click Computer, and then look for the drive that has the file (selecting "All Files" under the drop down menu where the *.txt extension is listed helps too)

After I found the drive, I would close notepad and change the command prompt to that drive sdelete is in. Let's assume it's D:. I would type:
Code:
cd /d D:\
Then I would do the wiping. Let's assume the disk is C:. I would type:
Code:
sdelete -p 3 -c C:
And that's it!

Oh, one more example. To delete ALL FILES on C: and securely wipe them, [BE CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE! You don't want to accidentally wipe your main hard drive ]
Code:
sdelete -p 3 -c C:\*
Thanks so much, but I encountered an error

When I try to run "sdelete -p 3 -c C:" after making the directory C:\ (sdelete on root), it gives me the error "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present".

Any ideas?

I don't have a repair partition, I had to boot from my restore CD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2011   #16
arkhi

Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195
 
 

Try using a 32-bit restore CD instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2011   #17
hummer1730

Windows 6 Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
Try using a 32-bit restore CD instead.
I don't have one

Any other options?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2011   #18
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Is someone writing a thesis here?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2011   #19
arkhi

Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hummer1730 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
Try using a 32-bit restore CD instead.
I don't have one

Any other options?
Hmm... You could try Creating a Windows PE boot disk | Windows 7 Library to burn a 32-bit bootimage
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2011   #20
Corazon

Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Data Overwriting Not Working?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Data Recovery/Overwriting : NTFS File Records? (Screenshots...)
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting I just did a 2 pass overwrite of my entire HDD using copywipe, but yet Easus is still finding over 60,000 + NTFS file records and near 4,000 files identified? Why didn't the overwrite erase this data? I don't understand - I've been at this for a...
General Discussion
Having trouble overwriting this file
I have tried everything to overwrite this file in system32 called imageres.dll I've tried using system file replacer, taking ownership and whenever I try to do so it just says this file is in use by another program How do I get it to work?
Customization
Overwriting one copy of Windows 7 with another?
Okay, long story short, i've been using Windows 7 since the beta leaked back in April 2009, I've had it on my laptop since August '09, with almost no issues. Well, my laptop decides to refuse to power on. Not just boot, the power button had no response. 3 months later, i finally find a cheap...
Installation & Setup
Overwriting Host Files
Hey guys, in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ there is a host file, i need to open it with notepad, add a line and then resave it, but it keeps giving me an access denied msg or a do not have permission to save in this location. Ive done this before in the past, but cant seem to do it this time. ...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App