Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: External Hard Drive keeps on showing Autoplay prompt

18 Oct 2011   #11
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
I'm going to take a guest as to why this is happening. The drive turns off, Windows thinks it has disconnected, the drive turns back on, Windows thinks it has reconnected. Either way, I think this problem is hardware related in some way.
Well, the thing is that it never happens when I connect it to the laptop. And when connected on the desktop, it only happens when REBOOTING the computer. Comments on that?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Oct 2011   #12
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Just another guess but maybe it has something to do with the desktop power plan. Some desktops have a hybrid sleep option that puts the computer into a low-power state. Perhaps the computer goes into hybrid sleep after "X" minutes and this affects how the external HDD is treated when the computer comes out of hybrid sleep mode.

Power Plan Settings - Change
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #13
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Just another guess but maybe it has something to do with the desktop power plan. Some desktops have a hybrid sleep option that puts the computer into a low-power state. Perhaps the computer goes into hybrid sleep after "X" minutes and this affects how the external HDD is treated when the computer comes out of hybrid sleep mode.

Power Plan Settings - Change
I've turned off hibernation already so hybrid sleep isn't an option. And it doesn't happen in "X" minutes also. I can turn on the desktop all day long without the autoplay issue happening. It just happens when I reboot the desktop and even then it happens randomly (not always after reboot).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Oct 2011   #14
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Definitely an odd situation.

If it's strictly a reboot issue perhaps (and this is just another SWAG) your machine has damaged or corrupt system files adversely affecting how the external HDD is seen. Safely remove the external HDD and try running a System File Checker scan just to see if there are any problems. If, by chance there are any file issues, run the scan three times rebooting in between each scan.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #15
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Definitely an odd situation.

If it's strictly a reboot issue perhaps (and this is just another SWAG) your machine has damaged or corrupt system files adversely affecting how the external HDD is seen. Safely remove the external HDD and try running a System File Checker scan just to see if there are any problems. If, by chance there are any file issues, run the scan three times rebooting in between each scan.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
I've already reinstalled Win7 multiple times and the result is the same. Does turning off the USB legacy support in BIOS have something to do with this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #16
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

I would guess that depends on how old the external HDD is. What happens if you enable the USB legacy support?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #17
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

The external HDD is brand new. It is USB 3.0 and contains a newly released Hitachi drive. I'll try enabling the USB legacy support first and see what it does because the problem is random so I have to reboot until I reproduce it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #18
marsmimar

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

OK, the problem does not occur when the external HDD is connected to a laptop. The problem does occur when connected to the desktop. I'm assuming that the laptop does not have the same BIOS, mobo, etc as the desktop. Also, the laptop has different USB ports, etc. Have you tried connecting the external HDD to a different port? Are you using a hub? Does ASUS have any self-diagnostic tests for mobo, BIOS, etc?

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

If no diagnostic tools perhaps you might consider submitting this issue to ASUS to see if they have any feedback.

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #19
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
OK, the problem does not occur when the external HDD is connected to a laptop. The problem does occur when connected to the desktop. I'm assuming that the laptop does not have the same BIOS, mobo, etc as the desktop. Also, the laptop has different USB ports, etc. Have you tried connecting the external HDD to a different port? Are you using a hub? Does ASUS have any self-diagnostic tests for mobo, BIOS, etc?

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

If no diagnostic tools perhaps you might consider submitting this issue to ASUS to see if they have any feedback.

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
Ok. I plug it on one of the USB 3.0 ports in the motherboard. No I'm not using a hub.I'll try plugging it in a different port first. I've already tried the self-diagnostics of ASUS and they all passed without any problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #20
debugged

Windows 7
 
 

If you're comfortable backing up and modifying registry -
In regedit look at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
If the Explorer key isn't there, look here instead:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
(If the Explorer key isn't there, create it)

In the right pane create the dword "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"
Default value is 91 which is supposed to stop autorun on unknown and network drives, which is default behaviour.
A value of 99 should stop autorun on fixed drives as well.
Or a value of 8 stops autotun for fixed drives only.
In your case, I would try 99, which would cover most of the ways your Windows could be seeing that drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 External Hard Drive keeps on showing Autoplay prompt




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
External Hard Drive not showing up.
I usually use the hard drive with the desktop, however the other day I plugged it into the laptop, it was running at the time, and was accidentally unplugged, since then it doesn't seem to be recognized in either computer. The laptop will make the noise when I plug in the external drive, and it...
Hardware & Devices
Autoplay from External Hard Drive Question
Hey everyone, Whenever I plug my External Hard Drive in, my Autoplay pops up which is fine. But under General Option where it says Import Photos, it is my Lightroom program. But the problem is that it does not show the correct program (I have Lightroom 5.3 installed and my Autoplay says...
Hardware & Devices
External Hard Drive Not Showing Up
I have a western digital 2tb hard drive and I am unable to access any of the information on it. It is listed in the devices and printers, but it doesn't give me many options to do much, just view it. I know that it works on my hp laptop, but the laptop has since crashed. I purchased a new hp...
Hardware & Devices
Samsung s2 external hard drive not loading showing local disk F drive
I have a Samsung s2 1tb external hard drive. Today when I hooked it up to my laptop it would not load. It will shows local F drive when it usually will say samsung Drive. A pop up box will then appear stating "you need to format drive" I know if I reformat it I will lose all my data which...
Hardware & Devices
External Hard Drive not showing up anywhere
Hi everybody. I have a problem :( My 3TB Western Digital Hard Drive is not showing up on any PC I connect it to. The light on the drive itself is on, but no where on the PC does it register. I am pretty sure the disks aren't spinning either, but that is probably because the computer isn't...
Hardware & Devices
External hard drive not showing up
So I recently purchased and installed a new hard drive in my PS3. To do that I had to reformat my Western Digital 250 GB hard drive to FAT32 format. Ok, so that's all well and good but I then decided to take my PS3, 60 GB HD (the brand escapes me, but it's a big manufacturer of hard drives) and put...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App