Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Few issues need to be clarified in win 7 Ultimate

13 Oct 2011   #1
lebdorz

7 ultimate x86
 
 
Few issues need to be clarified in win 7 Ultimate

Hello

As I installed windows 7 Ultimate..after years and years of XP SP3

I have few questions that I need u to help me answer

1- How can I assign OR pin selected progz to taskbar?? I want to add a shortcut of Show Desktop on the taskbar...which I was used to in XP...Whenever I have many windows opened..I just click on Show Desktop Shortcut Icon..and the desk shows up !

Also adding a specific program like Chrome to the taskbar shortcuts..how?

2- In windows XP when I close MSN messenger for example..it goes and stays in the Bottom Left corner as a small Icon .. In Win 7 , it stays as a tab on taskbar !! what can I do ?

3- I created an Image for my HDD (C: and D "System & storage" via the option Backup&Restore in Control Panel..and saved it on my external ...

- If I format the whole HDD and install a new 7 ultimate...Can I Restore the Backups easily..in which it would Restore my storage drive and saved files and folders ? Also, do all the programs which was found during Backup, will be restored to my new windows ?

- As I backed up C: and D; ... If I ever format C: and installed new clean copy of 7Ultimate...when I restore the Backup..Would it over write my D: drive also ? or what ? becoz D: is fine and still good and needs no restore !


Thank you guy and sorry for any repetition caused of my deep concerns !




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Oct 2011   #2
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lebdorz View Post
1- How can I assign OR pin selected progz to taskbar?? I want to add a shortcut of Show Desktop on the taskbar...which I was used to in XP...Whenever I have many windows opened..I just click on Show Desktop Shortcut Icon..and the desk shows up !
On the far right of the taskbar, that little strip is a Show Desktop button.
Quote:
Also adding a specific program like Chrome to the taskbar shortcuts..how?
Run Chrome, then on the taskbar button > Right click it > Pin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2011   #3
lebdorz

7 ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lebdorz View Post
1- How can I assign OR pin selected progz to taskbar?? I want to add a shortcut of Show Desktop on the taskbar...which I was used to in XP...Whenever I have many windows opened..I just click on Show Desktop Shortcut Icon..and the desk shows up !
On the far right of the taskbar, that little strip is a Show Desktop button.
Quote:
Also adding a specific program like Chrome to the taskbar shortcuts..how?
Run Chrome, then on the taskbar button > Right click it > Pin
Oh thanks man...I found it

Still waiting for other's replies as some other question still need answers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Oct 2011   #4
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 17.3 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM
 
 
Different SID

I think that if you make a backup and then install a new copy of Windows, your new user account will have a different SID number to the one in your backup.
This may prevent you from being able to access your files.

I don't use Windows Backup, but I had a similar thing happen to me with some Macrium images.
If I want to access them, I have to remount the HDD (which still has the original OS on it) back into my PC.
I can then access my backup images.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2011   #5
lebdorz

7 ultimate x86
 
 

thanks and still waiting for fine and assured answers for my concerns
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lebdorz View Post

- If I format the whole HDD and install a new 7 ultimate...Can I Restore the Backups easily..in which it would Restore my storage drive and saved files and folders ? Also, do all the programs which was found during Backup, will be restored to my new windows ?

- As I backed up C: and D; ... If I ever format C: and installed new clean copy of 7Ultimate...when I restore the Backup..Would it over write my D: drive also ? or what ? becoz D: is fine and still good and needs no restore !
An image restore would include everything on whatever partitions you included in the image or images. Including saved files and folders and installed programs.

The D drive would be overwritten ONLY IF you made an image of the D drive and then restored it. Many people (maybe most people) don't even make an image of a D partition.

It's important that you understand the difference between an image backup and a file by file backup. Image backups are most commonly used for the C partition, while file by file backups are most commonly used for personal data. File by file backups are more reliable than image backups.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #7
lebdorz

7 ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lebdorz View Post

- If I format the whole HDD and install a new 7 ultimate...Can I Restore the Backups easily..in which it would Restore my storage drive and saved files and folders ? Also, do all the programs which was found during Backup, will be restored to my new windows ?

- As I backed up C: and D; ... If I ever format C: and installed new clean copy of 7Ultimate...when I restore the Backup..Would it over write my D: drive also ? or what ? becoz D: is fine and still good and needs no restore !
An image restore would include everything on whatever partitions you included in the image or images. Including saved files and folders and installed programs.

The D drive would be overwritten ONLY IF you made an image of the D drive and then restored it. Many people (maybe most people) don't even make an image of a D partition.

It's important that you understand the difference between an image backup and a file by file backup. Image backups are most commonly used for the C partition, while file by file backups are most commonly used for personal data. File by file backups are more reliable than image backups.
Thanks alot..u cleared some

But, still have some concerns

Now, IF I got a problem in System...I will go to Restore the Image I've done to C: ... Nice

But, If I have new photos on C: that is newer than the image...Would they disappear and only photos that was available during the backup will show ?? OR what ?

Where can I make File By File Backup from Win 7 Ultimate?

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #8
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lebdorz View Post

Now, IF I got a problem in System...I will go to Restore the Image I've done to C: ... Nice

But, If I have new photos on C: that is newer than the image...Would they disappear and only photos that was available during the backup will show ?? OR what ?

Where can I make File By File Backup from Win 7 Ultimate?

thanks
The new photos would disappear.

Suppose you make an image of C on July 1.

Then you get some new photos on C on July 3

Then on July 5 you restore C.

C will then be in the same state it was on July 1. The July 3 photos will be gone if they were stored on C.

Most people here would advise you to keep your photos on D so that your photos will not be affected if you restore C. Or at least make a SEPARATE NON-IMAGE backup of the photos that you can copy back to C after you restore the image of C.

I don't use Windows Backup and Restore, but I think it has file by file backup capability somewhere within it. You just have to make sure you choose the right settings. I can't help you with the details of it since I don't use it.

Post 43 from Karlsnook in this thread might help you:

Back up system?


There are other simpler applications for file by file backup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #9
ddadda82

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

For File Backup function, I always use this: Copy your files faster with TeraCopy

In the morning every Sunday I copy and paste my entire Drive D and E to external HDD for backup purpose. Then I leave it on the background while I play DotA or other games. Flawless and efficient.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2011   #10
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

You can try Windows inbuilt ROBOCOPY command in a .BAT file for file-by-file backups if you like. Its multi-threaded and has a mirroring capability which means its fast and only copies newer files to the backup.

ROBOCOPY - Create Backup Script
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Few issues need to be clarified in win 7 Ultimate




Thread Tools






Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BCD issues in Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I need to create a new system reserved partition on drive: 0 and delete the current one from drive 1: There was a thread on this some time back, explaining WHAT to do, but it was never clearly explained HOW to do it! Could someone please explain in DETAIL step-by-step how this is done?
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit issues with desktop freezing/ other issues
Hi all, Going to try and make this brief, "try" being the operative word here.. I have a Gateway PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit 4 gigs of ram but obviously not all useable (yet) Dual core processor Nvidia 9800GT graphics Card Corsair 650 watt PSU HT Omega Striker 7.1 Souncard..
General Discussion
RAM issues Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Hello, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit I put together a computer for the first time and I'm having bother with the RAM. I have 12GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram installed, I am using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard. The motherboard...
Hardware & Devices
PS3Media & 7 Ultimate issues?
I've recently found out about the cool feature of streaming to your PS3 from your computer. The only thing is that it is choppy at times, most noticeably when graphics get more intense. Is this some type of limitation of the wireless router (Verizon FioS Router), CPU Power, or tweaking...
Network & Sharing
DNS issues windows 7 ultimate x64
Hi everyone. I know there are a lot of windows 7 experts here and I know this has been asked in other forums but I'm still at a loss of how to fix it after numerous google searches. I'm using windows 7 ultimate x64 and basically I'm connected by wireless on an asus pce-n13 network card to a...
Network & Sharing
VISTA Ultimate to Windows 7 ultimate issues.. wit gamin
Ok, Its either gotta be that Windows have may changes in the O/S for gaming or there just could be something wrong with my computer... I DON"T GET IT. First of all, I had windows vista, CPU over clocked playing all my games with out a drama, (steam, cs, tf2, l4d, COD4) the games started without...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App