Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do I change a file's file type (not only file association)?

15 Oct 2011   #1
awd

windows 7
 
 
How do I change a file's file type (not only file association)?

I need to change a zip file to an epub file. I have heard this can be done, but when I add the .epub after the file name, I notice the file is still actually zip type file when I right click properties. This is causing a problem when I try to open it in in different ebook reader programs.

I know there is a way to change a file's actual file type, but I don't know how. Perhaps there is a software or I need to go into the registry?

I can do this either with windows 7 or XP home, because I have two computers. So help on either operating system would be great?

As a related question, I am wondering does changing a file's icon type actually change the file type or just the icon?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Oct 2011   #2
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Hi awd and welcome to Seven Forums.

I take it that your zip file is an e-book. Changing the extension does nothing to change the format of the data. If you have need to convert an e-book from one format to another try Calibre. In addition to managing e-books it allows you to convert from one form to another. calibre - E-book management
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2011   #3
awd

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Hi awd and welcome to Seven Forums.

I take it that your zip file is an e-book. Changing the extension does nothing to change the format of the data. If you have need to convert an e-book from one format to another try Calibre. In addition to managing e-books it allows you to convert from one form to another. calibre - E-book management
Thanks for the response. I already tried calibre because it DOES have a built in converter from zip to epub. However, it is not working very well with large files and that is what I need it for.

I got the idea of building my own epubs from the tutorial for making epub files by hand at .epub eBooks Tutorial - Part 3: Turning Your Content into an eBook . There is PART 1 PART 2 AND PART 3. Specifically PART 3 talks about changing the file extension from .zip to .epub. But as I said, it still remains a zip file and doesn't seem to open in some ebook readers, even after I follow his exact steps.

Therefore, I thought maybe there was a way to actually change the file type to a TRUE epub because all of the files contained in the ZIP file are the same ones contained in an epub file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Oct 2011   #4
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by awd View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Hi awd and welcome to Seven Forums.

I take it that your zip file is an e-book. Changing the extension does nothing to change the format of the data. If you have need to convert an e-book from one format to another try Calibre. In addition to managing e-books it allows you to convert from one form to another. calibre - E-book management
Thanks for the response. I already tried calibre because it DOES have a built in converter from zip to epub. However, it is not working very well with large files and that is what I need it for.

I got the idea of building my own epubs from the tutorial for making epub files by hand at .epub eBooks Tutorial - Part 3: Turning Your Content into an eBook . There is PART 1 PART 2 AND PART 3. Specifically PART 3 talks about changing the file extension from .zip to .epub. But as I said, it still remains a zip file and doesn't seem to open in some ebook readers, even after I follow his exact steps.

Therefore, I thought maybe there was a way to actually change the file type to a TRUE epub because all of the files contained in the ZIP file are the same ones contained in an epub file.
That's interesting. I didn't know that. I wonder if Calibre would recognize your renamed file as e-pub. If it does you could convert from e-pub to e-pub to get a more robust format. Be careful as it will overwrite the original.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2011   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

It works for certain filetypes. I have done that eg. for videos. It is very easy. Just do it with a rename in Explorer.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2011   #6
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Yes I have seen that before. I just didn't know that the internal structure of a zip file was similar to epub. I've just checked and 7zip can explore an epub file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2011   #7
awd

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Yes I have seen that before. I just didn't know that the internal structure of a zip file was similar to epub. I've just checked and 7zip can explore an epub file.
Are you saying that 7ZIP offers something unique in handling EPUB files that WINZIP does not?

From what I have tried, you can open an epub file with a zip or .rar program (such as WINZIP AND WINRAR) and it will show all of the files that make up the epub file. You can then make edits and then zip it up again.

However, when you zip it up again, it is NOT an epub anymore but a ZIP or RAR file. THUS...THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES. If I want to make changes to my epub files, THEN HOW DO I REBUILD THE EPUB FILE WITH THE NEW CHANGES?

WHAT I HAVE TRIED SO FAR: Re-ZIPPING and then changing the zip extension to epub does not seem to really work. It still truly remains a ZIP filetype.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2011   #8
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

EPUB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by awd View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Yes I have seen that before. I just didn't know that the internal structure of a zip file was similar to epub. I've just checked and 7zip can explore an epub file.
Are you saying that 7ZIP offers something unique in handling EPUB files that WINZIP does not?

From what I have tried, you can open an epub file with a zip or .rar program (such as WINZIP AND WINRAR) and it will show all of the files that make up the epub file. You can then make edits and then zip it up again.

However, when you zip it up again, it is NOT an epub anymore but a ZIP or RAR file. THUS...THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES. If I want to make changes to my epub files, THEN HOW DO I REBUILD THE EPUB FILE WITH THE NEW CHANGES?

WHAT I HAVE TRIED SO FAR: Re-ZIPPING and then changing the zip extension to epub does not seem to really work. It still truly remains a ZIP filetype.
No I just used 7zip to explore the container of an epub file. It can't save them. There is an interesting article in Wikipedia about the structure of an epub file.EPUB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2011   #9
Corazon

Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit
 
 

There's an option in Control Panel -> Folder Options named Hide extensions for known file types. I'm pretty sure if you uncheck that, you can change any file's actual extension (instead of simply turning abc.zip into abc.epub.zip). I've always kept this setting off and never had an issue changing file extensions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do I change a file's file type (not only file association)?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Set file association for a file (dds) to Shell Common that execs it!
I accidentally set the default file format for a dds (DirectDraw Surface) to Windows shell common. It tries to execute it but obviously fails giving this error: I've tried everything. Modified registry keys, use slightly different solutions, but I just can't get it working. Does anyone have a fix...
General Discussion
WinDBG 8.1 file type association problem.
Hey all:) So I just got a new Win8.1 laptop, and after installing WinDBG and updating my how to thread, I ran into a small problem. When I try to associate dump files with WinDBG I get the following error; Note: the .dmp file is just a random one I grabbed from the top thread to test if...
BSOD Help and Support
Delete file type association?
I have accidentally associated a number of file types with Notepad. I'm trying to delete their association so they go back to having no program that they open with, but Windows does not seem to have this ability integrated into Default Programs > Set Associations. I tried deleting the registry...
General Discussion
Windows 7 won't let me change .rar file association
I've been trying to fix this problem myself for a few days. At some point my .rar file association got changed to use explorer.exe, now no matter what method I try I can't change it to use 7zip instead. This is a problem because any time I click a .rar file explorer keeps trying to open it over and...
General Discussion
How to create a batch file that will move files based on the file type
How to create a batch file that will move files based on the file type? My Requirement : I need a batch file to copy all .doc files in all my HardDisk to a removable disk say (Z: drive) . Can anyone make it possible using a batch file?Please...Its urgent...
General Discussion
File type Association (.exe, .jpg, ...) Add extension?
. javascript .js files are associtated with WordPad.exe. ...should be Notepad.exe .js file extension is missing in the Default Programs-Associate file type.... How can I add and extension(.js) to the list of extensions and protocols? .
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App