Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I couldn't delete Windows.old folder.

17 Oct 2011   #11
s7ven

Windows s7ven
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by finamd View Post
what you have done is the just the quick fix solution to getting rid of your problem.

However if you premanantly want to remove the specific drive allocated for the particular OS, then you will need to format the drive and to make it available to your current OS, you will need to consolidate the free available space after format.

Please right click on your My Computer a[IMG]http://www.**********/g.php[/IMG]nd click on "Manage", go to "Storage" and then choose "Disk Management(LOCAL)". Choose the drive and click format.

You could also do this during start up.
i don't want to that, i have just reformatted my laptop. and i used to do that all the time. i think most people here usually do that after they reformat their laptop/computer. they use disk clean up to get rid of the windows.old folder.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Oct 2011   #12
s7ven

Windows s7ven
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Have you looked at the other two options in that link? Option 3?

Quote:
NOTE: This would be a good option to do if OPTION ONE or OPTION TWO was unable to delete your C:\Windows.old folder.

would love to try option 3 but it's already 5 am, i have to sleep now ey? will get back to you guys later,, thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2011   #13
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by finamd View Post
what you have done is the just the quick fix solution to getting rid of your problem.

However if you premanantly want to remove the specific drive allocated for the particular OS, then you will need to format the drive and to make it available to your current OS, you will need to consolidate the free available space after format.

Please right click on your My Computer a[IMG]http://www.**********/g.php[/IMG]nd click on "Manage", go to "Storage" and then choose "Disk Management(LOCAL)". Choose the drive and click format.

You could also do this during start up.
Huh?

He's looking to delete a folder, not delete/wipe a drive - I couldn't delete Windows.old folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Oct 2012   #14
Monolithic

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 & Windows 8 Pro RTM
 
 

I know this thread is old but it was never answered and I had this same problem and a search led me here.

I just wanted to add the fix for anyone else that lands here looking for help.

If you cannot delete the Windows.old because Windows is telling you it is no longer there. Navigate your way into the folder till the end.

Right click a blank space in the last folder and click create new text file..

Name it whatever you want and save it.

Navigate back to C:/ drive and attempt to delete Windows.old again, after you have taken ownership of course.

Since you added a file inside it it should delete. At least it did for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2012   #15
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by s7ven View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Have you looked at the other two options in that link? Option 3?

Quote:
NOTE: This would be a good option to do if OPTION ONE or OPTION TWO was unable to delete your C:\Windows.old folder.

would love to try option 3 but it's already 5 am, i have to sleep now ey? will get back to you guys later,, thanks.
This option has always worked for me;

I couldn't delete Windows.old folder.-remove-file-folder.jpg

HTH


My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2012   #16
Monolithic

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 & Windows 8 Pro RTM
 
 

I tried that and it says "File doesnt exist"

Adding a file then deleting entire folder works if it keeps telling you the folder doesnt exist anymore but is still there in C:/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2012   #17
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
I tried that and it says "File doesnt exist"

Adding a file then deleting entire folder works if it keeps telling you the folder doesnt exist anymore but is still there in C:/
I use a utility program for locating files from Mythicsoft called Agent Ransack. It's been awhile, but I seem to remember a time when I was having a similar problem and used Agent Ransack to locate the file. I then noted the location and used my previous suggestion to remove it.

If you are interested in trying Agent Ransack, which is free, you can download it from;

Agent Ransack - Free File Searching Utility
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I couldn't delete Windows.old folder.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cannot delete OlD Windows folder
My Samsung laptop crashed 2 days ago and I tried for almost a days trying to repair it with no avail. It somehow change my login Icon Charlie to Samsung and needed a password for the Samsung icon. I decided to re-install and it created a folder called Old windows. Now that my laptop is up and...
General Discussion
windows couldn't remove your computer from the homegroupwindows couldn
windows couldn't remove your computer from the homegroup, have done all fixes recommended, services still won't start, still can't leave home group
Network & Sharing
Couldn’t delete folders: “$RECYCLE.BIN” and “System Volume Information
Couldn’t delete folders: “$RECYCLE.BIN” and “System Volume Information” , I wanted to delete two folders from my external hard drive but sounds not to work (attached) What might be the issue? How to delete them? Thank you
General Discussion
cant delete windows.old folder
i cant delete all from that folder there is pop up " Files arent in this location" (something like that :) .I tried in safe mode but same result.Any suggestion?
General Discussion
How to delete Windows folder? (not old)
okay first let me explain why i want to delete this "Windows" folder i don't want to talk about the other reason why cause its a bit long story-short..the "Windows" is in my 2nd HDD which act as my extra HDD so i don't need the "Windows" folder which contains 10GB and i can't delete it i tried the...
General Discussion
Can't delete folder in Windows 7
I'm trying to delete a folder in Windows 7 and get a perplexing error message: "Could not find this item: This is no longer located in G:\Graphics. Verify the item's location and try again. I'm using Windows 7; this folder is on an external hard drive. I've emptied the folder (there were...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App