Hi Baz, **WARNING : This is a bit of a hack and requires you edit a system file - only do so if you are comfortable doing that. You do so at your own risk***
There is a way to have a pop-up ballon tip appear when you hover your mouse over the folder, and also to display in the Comments column. I have messed about with this a little bit. To do that, please follow these steps:
1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Click Tools
, then Folder Options
3. Click the View
4. You MUST uncheck the box labelled Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
When prompted, you need to click YES
5. Right-click on the folder you are interested in, and then select Properties
and then Customize
. Select the Change Icon...
button. Note : you aren't actually going to change the icon if you don't wany to - this step is neccessary to get to the point that you can add comments to a folder.
In the icon panel, choose the FOLDER icon, or a different one if you like, and click OK
6. In the folder you are interested in, locate the file called desktop.ini
and open it in Notepad.
7. At the immediate bottom of the file, add this line: InfoTip=
You can then add your comments immediately after the = symbol, like this for example:
InfoTip=This should help BAZ
This is what the file look like:
8. Save the file. You can add the Comments field to your columns in Windows Explorer, and now you should see this:
Also, when you hover your mouse over the folder, a pop-up baloon will display the folder comments.