Going to try and make this brief, "try" being the operative word here..
I have a Gateway PC running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
4 gigs of ram but obviously not all useable (yet)
Dual core processor
Nvidia 9800GT graphics Card
Corsair 650 watt PSU
HT Omega Striker 7.1 Souncard..
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
Nvidia 280.65 driver (latest)
Basically have done a lot of upgrades on this PC with the exception of the motherboard and CPU.
Two days ago I noticed when I log into my PC, it will boot up, however shortly after, programs will begin to stop responding. Sometimes the PC will boot into a black screen, other times I get to the desktop and the taskbar clocks and just does not work, then other times as stated, will boot up, work for about 15 to 30 minutes until explorer stops responding and ultimately, everything else I try to use.
Here are some behaviors I noticed:
- Is probably not hardware related as safe mode does work as should no matter how long I use it
- Could not install programs - when trying, would freeze or fail (in reg desktop)
- One weird thing I noticed is that the hard drive activity LED will start doing a repetitive pattern when the system begins to freeze... it will light up for 3 to 4 seconds to show activity, then blink on and off, then light again for the same time, then blink.. same exact pattern over and over again.. all the while you can hear the drive making the same noise, almost as thought its "skipping" (again, safe mode does work fine though)
- Originally, this started with a blue screen that showed a Logitech webcam file that caused it. I uninstalled the software altogether and reinstalled and seemed to have fixed the BSOD issue
- That's it for behaviors that I have noticed so far
Here is what I have tried with no success:
- Start up repair
- SCNDSK /F
- SCNDSK /R
- SFC /SCANNOW
- MSCONFIG - disabled all non microsoft startup items AND services
I am above the average user as I do some repairs myself but this has me baffled!! I'm at a loss and really do not want to format...
Any ideas on what else I can try or mayve have missed? Anyone else come across something similar? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!